Univac 1219 this Sat.

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010
      We are getting two of these...

      http://vintagecomputer.net/univac/1219/

      ...on Saturday. the truck is rented and we're all set. I will be picking
      up the unit around 9:30 AM from Clarksville MD.

      When I did a little page about the 1219 in 2007 I never actually thought
      that I would ever see one in person. At the time I was fortunate to have
      been able to interview a past Navy technician who supported this system,
      named Tom Morrison. He sent me a copy of the manual, some of his original
      notes related to the op codes and a flip chip from the 1219. For more info
      see
      http://vintagecomputer.net/univac1219.cfm

      Bill
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010
        On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

        > We are getting two of these...
        >
        > http://vintagecomputer.net/univac/1219/

        "All I want for Christmas is a P-D-P..." :-)

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010
          This one?
          http://www.vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp8i/
          Got $8000?
          Bill

          > "All I want for Christmas is a P-D-P..." :-)
          >

          > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010
            Nah - I don't even have $2500 for the PDP-8/E.

            On Thu, 21 Jan 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

            > This one?
            > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp8i/
            > Got $8000?
            > Bill

          • Ray Sills
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010
              Hi Bill:

              An interesting part of the manual is the power requirements: 115VAC @
              400Hz 3-phase 2KW. I suspect that someone must make a device that
              will run from 115V conventional power and generate the 3 phase 400 Hz
              AC. If not, it could be fabricated.
              Of course, I have no idea how much a project like that would cost.

              Answering myself: I Googled: <http://www.elect-spec.com/
              freqchgr_a.htm>

              Over $5000. And, I think it's single phase. Humph.

              If Camp Evans had been a Navy or Army Air Force facility, they might
              have had some 400 Hz rotary converters (meaning motor generator sets)
              around to service various items. 400 Hz power was used in military
              craft because it enabled designing electronic and electrical gear with
              =much= smaller (less iron) transformers, and therefore vastly reduced
              weight. Worth the tradeoff for them.

              73 de Ray

              On Jan 21, 2010, at 10:01 AM, Bill Degnan wrote:

              > We are getting two of these...
              >
              > http://vintagecomputer.net/univac/1219/
              >
              > ...on Saturday. the truck is rented and we're all set. I will be
              > picking
              > up the unit around 9:30 AM from Clarksville MD.
              >
              > When I did a little page about the 1219 in 2007 I never actually
              > thought
              > that I would ever see one in person. At the time I was fortunate to
              > have
              > been able to interview a past Navy technician who supported this
              > system,
              > named Tom Morrison. He sent me a copy of the manual, some of his
              > original
              > notes related to the op codes and a flip chip from the 1219. For
              > more info
              > see
              > http://vintagecomputer.net/univac1219.cfm
              >

              > Bill

            • Barry L. Kline
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 21, 2010
                Bill Degnan wrote:
                > This one?
                > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/digital/pdp8i/
                > Got $8000?
                > Bill

                That makes me drool.

                Barry

                --
              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 22, 2010
                  Do you guys need help tomorrow?

                  I won't be able to get to MD by 9:30 but do you need help @ infoage?

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 22, 2010
                    Yes.  I expect to be back at InfoAge by around 2pm.  Maybe sooner, maybe later.  Can you take the train to Belmar?

                    Thanks!!!

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 22, 2010
                      I will see if I can get my dad's car, if not.. I will call.