Printers compatible with The Print Shop for the Commodore 64

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 17, 2010
      I'm trying to help Evan setup the Commodore 64 in the MARCH exhibit so that it can use The Print Shop to print banners etc. After failing to get it to work with the Commodore 1526, I realized that a graphics capable printer must be necessary. So in the setup menu for The Print Shop, the following printers are listed:

      EPSON MX-,FX-,RX- (80 OR 100)
      STAR GEMINI 10X, 15X, DELTA, RADIX
      C-ITOH (PROWRITER) OR NEC 8023
      OKIDATA MICROLINE 92,93
      BLUE CHIP M120/10, LEGEND 880
      MANNESMANN TALLY SPIRIT 80
      PANASONIC KX-P1090, 1091

      My question is: MUST I have one of these printers or are there others that are compatible, but not listed for some reason ?  I have an Okidata 120 (graphics capable) and a Star NX-1000C (most likely graphics capable) that I will be trying, but it would be helpful to know if I'm just spinning my wheels.

      If you have any experience with this software on the C64, then please let me know.

      Thank You !

      Jeff Brace
    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 17, 2010
        .... Or we could get the Apple II version and use it with MARCH's Imagewriter.
      • jaj@totallyamused.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 17, 2010
          Odd, I would have thought for sure a 1526 would work. I used (back in the day) a 1525 and a Okimate 10 with Printshop. Given the popularity of the Commodore branded printers I would think that PS would work with all of them (except the 1520).

          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 17, 2010
            Of  Course !

            UPDATE:

            It works with my Star NX-1000C when I select Star Gemini printer.
            The Okidata 120 does NOT work when selecting any of the printers.

            .... Or we could get the Apple II version and use it with MARCH's Imagewriter.

          • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 17, 2010
              "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@...>

              >I'm trying to help Evan setup the Commodore 64 in the MARCH exhibit so that=
              > it can use The Print Shop to print banners etc. After failing to get it to=
              > work with the Commodore 1526, I realized that a graphics capable printer m=
              >ust be necessary. So in the setup menu for The Print Shop, the following pr=
              >inters are listed:=20
              >
              >EPSON MX-,FX-,RX- (80 OR 100)
              >STAR GEMINI 10X, 15X, DELTA, RADIX
              >C-ITOH (PROWRITER) OR NEC 8023
              >OKIDATA MICROLINE 92,93
              >BLUE CHIP M120/10, LEGEND 880
              >MANNESMANN TALLY SPIRIT 80
              >PANASONIC KX-P1090, 1091
              >
              >My question is: MUST I have one of these printers or are there others that =
              >are compatible, but not listed for some reason ? I have an Okidata 120 (gr=
              >aphics capable) and a Star NX-1000C (most likely graphics capable) that I w=
              >ill be trying, but it would be helpful to know if I'm just spinning my whee=
              >ls.=20
              >
              >If you have any experience with this software on the C64, then please let m=
              >e know.

              Those are all just serial dot matrix printers. Unless there's a need for
              direct access to the printhead pins, wouldn't any serial dot matrix work?

            • Bill Dromgoole
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 17, 2010
                I have a Panasonic KX-P 1091i you can have if you want it.
                But, I will be out of town for two weeks starting Tuesday 1/19/2010.

                billdrom

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 18, 2010
                    I'm surprised that IBM Proprinter did not make the list.
                    The reason is that I found that the driver for the Proprinter in Ubantu works
                    a whole lot better with a KX -P1092 than did the appropriate Epson equivalent.
                    In DOS days, I used the Epson drivers for the Panasonic printer.
                    bs