another OT question: Mobo's

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 24, 2005
      Hello groupies,
      For some reason I'm having nothing but problems
      trying to install Windows 2000 Pro on any of 3 hard
      drives I've had for nearly a year now. All are WD
      160's gigs. Don't ask me any of the other specs. Run
      of the mill I guess. Their setup cd reports problems.
      Windows setup reports problems. Even when I format
      them w/Partition Magic 8.0, I still get a problem
      after trying to install the OS.
      I have a generic Celeron 400 and a Compaq Deskpro EN,
      933mhz P3 (and I'm wondering if the later even needs
      new memory). The P3 has often been a bit flakey,
      ESPECIALLY when I used it with Win98. 2k seemed to
      iron out alot of the bugs.
      So maybe my problem is this stuff is too old.
      I'd like to buy a new *quality* motherboard, but am
      torn between getting something *quality* that will
      utilize my existing P3 cpu, or something *quality*
      that utilizes an antidisestablishment Athlon something
      or other. How about your thoughts?
      I hear Asus is one of the better, if not the best,
      ones. I have a stick of 256mb 3200 DDR ram. That'll
      get me by. I don't do anything that demanding, not big
      into games (newer ones anyway). I'll for the time
      being use whatever graphics cards and dvds/burners I
      have on hand. Can anyone recommend a vendor, and
      especially a particular mobo, irregardless of which
      route I go.
      I don't want to spend alot of money either. I DON'T
      need state of the art. Something reasonably peppy. I
      lean towards something AMD, but if I could find a nice
      *bargain*, though a *quality* one that'll utilize my
      P3, I'd probably opt for that. Have a wonderful day
      groupies :).

      __________________________________
      http://farechase.yahoo.com
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 24, 2005
        For research on this stuff, I recommend web sites like extremetech.com and tomshardware.com.

        Oops... I'm supposed to be doing other stuff now.

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 24, 2005
          Chris M wrote:

          >Hello groupies,
          > For some reason I'm having nothing but problems
          >trying to install Windows 2000 Pro on any of 3 hard
          >drives I've had for nearly a year now. All are WD
          >160's gigs. Don't ask me any of the other specs. Run
          >of the mill I guess. Their setup cd reports problems.
          >Windows setup reports problems. Even when I format
          >them w/Partition Magic 8.0, I still get a problem
          >after trying to install the OS.

          I had 2 WD 80gigs I've had problems with on older boards (P2). The setup
          program would bug out all the time. (GUI was messed up) Also, if I tried
          to install one of them with another hard drive, the WD drive wouldn't be
          detected. Finally, I have them both running on XP Pro AMDXP3000 (or
          whatever the 2gig CPU is) w/ ASUS board & 512MB RAM. Here they
          will stay until the end. :)

          > I have a generic Celeron 400 and a Compaq Deskpro EN,
          >933mhz P3 (and I'm wondering if the later even needs
          >new memory). The P3 has often been a bit flakey,
          >ESPECIALLY when I used it with Win98. 2k seemed to
          >iron out alot of the bugs.
          > So maybe my problem is this stuff is too old.
          > I'd like to buy a new *quality* motherboard, but am
          >torn between getting something *quality* that will
          >utilize my existing P3 cpu, or something *quality*
          >that utilizes an antidisestablishment Athlon something
          >or other. How about your thoughts?
          > I hear Asus is one of the better, if not the best,
          >ones. I have a stick of 256mb 3200 DDR ram. That'll
          >get me by. I don't do anything that demanding, not big
          >into games (newer ones anyway). I'll for the time
          >being use whatever graphics cards and dvds/burners I
          >have on hand. Can anyone recommend a vendor, and
          >especially a particular mobo, irregardless of which
          >route I go.
          > I don't want to spend alot of money either. I DON'T
          >need state of the art. Something reasonably peppy. I
          >lean towards something AMD, but if I could find a nice
          >*bargain*, though a *quality* one that'll utilize my
          >P3, I'd probably opt for that. Have a wonderful day
          >groupies :).

          Since you already have a 256MB chip, I'd find a low end AMDXP & mobo combo
          to go with that instead of the P3.. Of course I have a Dell Optiplex
          210? P3 800
          (512MB RAM) running WinXP Home if thats your cup of tea..

          Asus has always been good to me.. I stay away from PCChips personally..
          Tyan is good.

          I like companies that have drivers for download on their website for
          motherboards
          they made 10 years ago. :)

          -dave c.
        • William Pechter
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 25, 2005
            The problem is W2k and many older motherboards don't support IDE drives
            greater than 120gb (48 bit command issues IIRC)...

            If the motherboard supports the drive -- Windows2000 doesn't until SP3
            and WinXP needs at least SP2.

            You may need to slipstream the disk SP and make new CD's

            Bill

            --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

            > For research on this stuff, I recommend web sites like
            > extremetech.com and
            > tomshardware.com.
            >
            > Oops... I'm supposed to be doing other stuff now.
            >
            > _____

            =Field+trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99&
            > .sig=WZ8tqwKinCI7p46-Ck--Bg> computer Field

            +trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99&.sig=f
            > aIMoKJT2FQzbqsbJZFJsA> trip Swap

            trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99&.sig=-5
            > 2Bmme3BkOCRm7_TpTuMQ> meet
            > Computer

            2=Field+trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99
            > &.sig=uA3QPLlybCdZtpQLxdPxrg> security Computer

            2=Field+trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99
            > &.sig=Q_g6zf6pdAEsR9fV8ki73w> training
            >
            > _____
            >
            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

            > Service
            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            >

            > _____

          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 25, 2005
              William Pechter wrote:
              > The problem is W2k and many older motherboards don't support IDE drives
              > greater than 120gb (48 bit command issues IIRC)...
              >
              > If the motherboard supports the drive -- Windows2000 doesn't until SP3
              > and WinXP needs at least SP2.
              >
              > You may need to slipstream the disk SP and make new CD's

              This is why I use SCSI for everything.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • starbase89@optonline.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 25, 2005
                I thought the limit was 137GB?
              • Chris M
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 26, 2005
                  > I thought the limit was 137GB?

                  According to my docs, indeed it it.

                  > The problem is W2k and many older motherboards don't
                  support IDE drives
                  > greater than 120gb (48 bit command issues IIRC)...
                  >
                  > If the motherboard supports the drive -- Windows2000
                  doesn't until SP3
                  > and WinXP needs at least SP2.
                  >
                  > You may need to slipstream the disk SP and make new
                  CD's

                  The problem is these things are just flakey. One is a
                  Compaq (no further explanation required) and the other
                  crapped itself seemingly yesterday. I was able to
                  intall 2K previously, but now they won't let me :(. WD
                  supplies overlays or whatever that'll should allow you
                  to access the additional storage *hopefully*, along
                  with the required registry change in Win2K SP3.
                  I'm buying something else...

                  >This is why I use SCSI for everything.

                  >Peace... Sridhar

                  Wish I could afford to do everything SCSI :(

                  __________________________________
                  http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 26, 2005
                    Chris,

                    My first thought was that the drive was too large for the BIOS. Do you have
                    the latest BIOS for the motherboard?

                    If the board will support the drive, try partitioning the drive with
                    Partition Magic so you have a c-drive of maybe 50G. Then install to that
                    partition and see if that will work. Once you have a working installation
                    that is patched up to date, use Windows to format the other partition. This
                    is less work than creating the slipstreamed CD.

                    Jim

                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 27, 2005
                      Thanks dude, but it's none of that. Either the
                      firmware is messed up and or the ide conrollers are
                      screwy. The older celeron 400 crapped itself
                      altogether. The Compaq was always flakey.
                      Can you recommend any vendors? I was thinking
                      Spartantech.com. Don't know if you're familiar with
                      them.
                      Thanks ;)

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 27, 2005
                        Chris,

                        I've never heard of Spartantech. I can't recommend vendors when I have no
                        clue whatsoever what it is you want!

                        Jim