OT: [midatlanticretro] laptops

  • John Allain
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 22, 2005
      Well, It ain't CompUsa.

      I know the people there, so they let me do over the counter
      ...versus eBay, which they prefer.
      The company features two materials crushers right by the
      entrance, so itsn't much to look at.
      You have to guess at specs from external features, like
      CDROM,screen size,USB,PS/2 port present etc.
      The laptops are the kinds that would usually carry the warnings
      (All sales final, untested, for parts only)
      Scared yet?
      Saying all this, they let me look at and pick over the laptops.
      This last trip it was getting late for my trip to infoAge so all I
      got was a Mac 520C (untested then, but, drumroll... OK when
      tested at home) Only paid $15 but its has good screen, Ethernet,
      and SCSI.
      Not hot but actually pretty close to a dumpster dive, you have to
      know how to work without a net (warranty, etc.).

      To get back >> on topic <<, My first time there I bought a 1972 PDP11/10
      for
      about $80. There has never again been anything That good, but
      there are the lesser breakthroughs.

      John A.
      i feel so cheap now.
    • Chris M