Re: [midatlanticretro] Hacking weekend Jan 30-31st.

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
      On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

      > I have heard from people informally about their plans for the vintage
      > computer hacking weekend Jan 30-31, but if you're considering attending
      > please let me know so I can get an idea of the numbers. There is room
      > for about 100 people. Because it's Winter and my kids can't be outside all
      > weekend, I am going to have this at my office in Wilmington instead of my
      > home. The location will be 103 W. 7th St. Wilmington.

      I tentatively plan to attend. Maybe one of you S100 gurus can help get
      my IMSAI talking to its floppy drives.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
    • joprysko1
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
        I am interested in coming, not sure what I should bring though.. I have a box of about 20-25 S100 cards, some floppy controllers, some RAM cards, at least 1 or 2 Winchester controllers. Not really sure what else.. oh, I have a motherboard with 6 slots, but no case/power supply, and I don't think I have a CPU card, so I have never been able to even try to put together even a semi-functional S100 system.

        I do have the chemicals needed to make Retr0brite, so I am sure some people will be interested in cleaning up some old stuff.

        I probably should go and make myself up an inventory list of my vintage hardware (Both computers and video game consoles) Even if for no other reason than to know what I actually have. :)

        Well back to work and time to clean up some spyware/viruses.

        Joe O.

        > I have heard from people informally about their plans for the vintage
        > computer hacking weekend Jan 30-31, but if you're considering attending
        > please let me know so I can get an idea of the numbers. There is room
        > for about 100 people. Because it's Winter and my kids can't be outside all
        > weekend, I am going to have this at my office in Wilmington instead of my
        > home. The location will be 103 W. 7th St. Wilmington.
        >

        > NOTES:
        >
        > The primary function of this event is to work on computers, but if you just
        > want to pop over and play video games that's fine. I have a MAME cabinet
        > that needs a sound card installed, plus a number of old video game systems.
        > Bring RF and co-ax adapter cables.
        >
        > Walking distance to Amtrak, just off rt 95.
        >
        > I might be working on a PDP 11/40.
        >
        > There is an IBM Series 1 that someone can experiment with. Power is
        > available.
        >
        > Video games, and modern computer stations available.
        >
        > There is plenty of space to sleep, but bring a sleeping bag.
        >
        > There are also places to grab something to eat nearby, but bring food and
        > drink as you see fit. I have a microwave and fridge.
        >
        > Parking should not be a problem, but I will check to see what the situation
        > is.
        >
        > Bill

      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
          Joe,

          I ask that people clean their computers before they arrive. Please do not
          bring any systems that need to be vacuumed, dusted, de-nested ,
          de-infested, etc. - this kind of stuff should be done before you arrive.
          Think "electronics workshop"
          I will send more details about the weekend, soon.

          Bill

          > I am interested in coming, not sure what I should bring though.. I have a
          box of about 20-25 S100 cards, some floppy controllers, some RAM cards, at
          least 1 or 2 Winchester controllers. Not really sure what else.. oh, I
          have a motherboard with 6 slots, but no case/power supply, and I don't
          think I have a CPU card, so I have never been able to even try to put
          together even a semi-functional S100 system.

          > I do have the chemicals needed to make Retr0brite, so I am sure some
          people will be interested in cleaning up some old stuff.

          > I probably should go and make myself up an inventory list of my vintage
          hardware (Both computers and video game consoles) Even if for no other
          reason than to know what I actually have. :)

          > Well back to work and time to clean up some spyware/viruses.
          >
          > Joe O.
          >

          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...>
          wrote:

          > > I have heard from people informally about their plans for the vintage
          > > computer hacking weekend Jan 30-31, but if you're considering attending

          > > please let me know so I can get an idea of the numbers. There is
          room
          > > for about 100 people. Because it's Winter and my kids can't be outside
          all
          > > weekend, I am going to have this at my office in Wilmington instead of
          my
          > > home. The location will be 103 W. 7th St. Wilmington.
          > >

          > > NOTES:
          > >
          > > The primary function of this event is to work on computers, but if you
          just
          > > want to pop over and play video games that's fine. I have a MAME
          cabinet
          > > that needs a sound card installed, plus a number of old video game
          systems.
          > > Bring RF and co-ax adapter cables.
          > >
          > > Walking distance to Amtrak, just off rt 95.
          > >
          > > I might be working on a PDP 11/40.
          > >
          > > There is an IBM Series 1 that someone can experiment with. Power is
          > > available.
          > >
          > > Video games, and modern computer stations available.
          > >
          > > There is plenty of space to sleep, but bring a sleeping bag.
          > >
          > > There are also places to grab something to eat nearby, but bring food
          and
          > > drink as you see fit. I have a microwave and fridge.
          > >
          > > Parking should not be a problem, but I will check to see what the
          situation
          > > is.
          > >
          > > Bill

        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
            Going to Vegas and CES.. Will be back Monday...  Take Care

          • joprysko1
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
              Well, the Retr0brite is more for restoring the colors of the outside of the casing caused by age/UV rays, cigarette smoke, etc.

              Definitely looking forward to it, will probably bring one of my Apple IIc's, my Atari Portfolio, etc. I may post a list of some of the things I have and/or thinking about bringing, that way if someone is interested in seeing or using the unit, they can ask me to bring it. Also, I will probably list parts I have that I am willing to trade incase anyone needs them.

              > Joe,
              >
              > I ask that people clean their computers before they arrive. Please do not
              > bring any systems that need to be vacuumed, dusted, de-nested ,
              > de-infested, etc. - this kind of stuff should be done before you arrive.
              > Think "electronics workshop"
              > I will send more details about the weekend, soon.
              >
              > Bill

            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010

                > Well, the Retr0brite is more for restoring the colors of the outside of
                the casing caused by age/UV rays, cigarette smoke, etc.

                I understand. I just wanted to describe the scene.

                > Definitely looking forward to it, will probably bring one of my Apple
                IIc's, my Atari Portfolio, etc. I may post a list of some of the things I
                have and/or thinking about bringing, that way if someone is interested in
                seeing or using the unit, they can ask me to bring it. Also, I will
                probably list parts I have that I am willing to trade incase anyone needs
                them.

                I am sure there will be some swapping, fyi my office space is full of
                stuff.

                Bill
              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010

                  joprysko1 wrote:
                  I am interested in coming, not sure what I should bring though.. I have a box of about 20-25 S100 cards, some floppy controllers, some RAM cards, at least 1 or 2 Winchester controllers.

                  Joe,

                  I'm interested in what you have in S-100 cards too.
                  I'll be there at the workshop.

                  =Dan

                • Dan Roganti
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010

                    Mike Loewen wrote:
                        I tentatively plan to attend.  Maybe one of you S100 gurus can help get
                    my IMSAI talking to its floppy drives.

                    Sure, we'll do our best, no promises though
                    But you have to come over first, no tentative, ssshhmentative plans  :)
                    I'll have my tools, test equipment and parts with me as always.

                    Bill,
                    Can we go online there still, in case we have to look up some technical data ?

                    =Dan

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010

                      > Bill,
                      > Can we go online there still, in case we have to look up some
                      > technical data ?

                      Yes, there will be many access points.
                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 12, 2010
                        Please someone take pictures and post because I can't go and I would really like to see what went on.

                        Also anyway I think I found a solution to get more pictures on the website:

                        http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/

                        There is a Picassa plugin that allows you to take pictures and quickly make a web album.

                        Bill, if I make some web albums and send them to you by CD (too big to e-mail) would you be willing to look and maybe post?