Re: Welcome to Macintosh on CNBC January 4 at 9:30PM ET

  • mrbuggle0
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 5, 2010
      Sure! I don't mind talking about myself. :-)

      I think I may have posted some time ago about my ELF II, but I'm not sure.
      I actually got into computers as a kid from model railroader magazine - they had an artical on using computers to run train layouts - I was already into building things. I wanted a computer. There was no way I could afford something like the Apple ][, so I saved my pennies and piece by piece put together a Netronics ELF. An uncle lived near New Milford and checked the place out for my dad (he wated to know they were legit!) I now live a short distance from there. Building the ELF was great fun and of course got me going on programmng, as well as being in the Explorers at Bell Labs in Holmdel (sigh - good memories of that place). I was always building gadgets and making pc boards with those Radio Shack kits with the rubylith and spray on etchant. A happy man I am as I turned my hobby into my career. Doing embedded programming and Windows programs for a living.
      I still have the ELF II packed away, and I inherited one from a friend that had the case and all (the cost of the case seemed an unnecessary expense for mine at the time, I made my own). I'm nervous about powering the ELF up as my soldering skills years and years ago were probably not the gretest - I'd rather not fry it.
      From the ELF to the Atari 400, 800XL, to PC's, I've always had some kind of PC around. I never did own an Apple, but used to repair them at one of my first jobs. Just got an iPod Touch for xmas and love it (the comment about PARC was sent from it as I watched the show).
      One of these years I'll make it back to a TCF with my kids to show 'em some real nerds in action! Or maybe a VCF as well.

      cheers
      -ed

      > > Wow - an infomercial.
      > > Would have been nice to mention Xerox PARC.
      >
      > One of the interviewees (I forget which) mentioned PARC re: the mouse.
      >
      > And ... please introduce yourself. Says here you joined our list way
      > back in 2006 but never posted before.

    • Ray Sills
      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 5, 2010
        On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:30 AM, brian_cirulnick wrote:
        <snip>

        > And When Steve returned to Apple, and the iMac came out, he got
        > what he wanted -- the floppy was gone.

        </snip>

        BUT.... the electronics for it were part of the early iMac
        motherboards. Some early adopters easily hacked the machine and just
        ran some ribbon cable from the mother board out to an external
        floppy, and it would work just fine, thank you very much.

        I opted to get an outboard Imation "super disk", which would read and
        write to their proprietary 120 MB disk or standard high density 1.4
        MB floppies. The Imation drive used a USB connection. Still have it
        somewhere, along with a disk that contains tax programs and data.
        But the latest date on the disk is 1998, so I'm unlikely to have the
        IRS ask me to explain anything on a tax return that old. Most people
        can discard tax stuff more than 7 years old without worry.

        73 de Ray