Re: [midatlanticretro] Hacking weekend Jan 30-31st.

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010

      > ----- Bill Degnan wrote:
      > > I have heard from people informally about their plans for the vintage
      > > computer hacking weekend Jan 30-31, but if you're considering attending

      > > please let me know so I can get an idea of the numbers. There is
      room
      > > for about 100 people. Because it's Winter and my kids can't be outside
      all
      > > weekend, I am going to have this at my office in Wilmington instead of
      my
      > > home. The location will be 103 W. 7th St. Wilmington.
      > >

      > I still plan to attend.
      > But I haven't been to that location before.
      > Is there enough tables for everyone to work on their stuff ?
      > We could use a dedicated table for the parts bins and soldering
      equipment, like last time

      There will be more work space and more tables than my house. Also easier

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
        > I have heard from people informally about their plans for the vintage
        > computer hacking weekend Jan 30-31, but if you're considering attending
        > please let me know so I can get an idea of the numbers.

        I plan to go for Saturday only.
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 5, 2010
          On Tue, 5 Jan 2010, Bill Degnan wrote:

          > I have heard from people informally about their plans for the vintage
          > computer hacking weekend Jan 30-31, but if you're considering attending
          > please let me know so I can get an idea of the numbers. There is room
          > for about 100 people. Because it's Winter and my kids can't be outside all
          > weekend, I am going to have this at my office in Wilmington instead of my
          > home. The location will be 103 W. 7th St. Wilmington.

          I tentatively plan to attend. Maybe one of you S100 gurus can help get
          my IMSAI talking to its floppy drives.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • joprysko1
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
            I am interested in coming, not sure what I should bring though.. I have a box of about 20-25 S100 cards, some floppy controllers, some RAM cards, at least 1 or 2 Winchester controllers. Not really sure what else.. oh, I have a motherboard with 6 slots, but no case/power supply, and I don't think I have a CPU card, so I have never been able to even try to put together even a semi-functional S100 system.

            I do have the chemicals needed to make Retr0brite, so I am sure some people will be interested in cleaning up some old stuff.

            I probably should go and make myself up an inventory list of my vintage hardware (Both computers and video game consoles) Even if for no other reason than to know what I actually have. :)

            Well back to work and time to clean up some spyware/viruses.

            Joe O.

            > I have heard from people informally about their plans for the vintage
            > computer hacking weekend Jan 30-31, but if you're considering attending
            > please let me know so I can get an idea of the numbers. There is room
            > for about 100 people. Because it's Winter and my kids can't be outside all
            > weekend, I am going to have this at my office in Wilmington instead of my
            > home. The location will be 103 W. 7th St. Wilmington.
            >

            > NOTES:
            >
            > The primary function of this event is to work on computers, but if you just
            > want to pop over and play video games that's fine. I have a MAME cabinet
            > that needs a sound card installed, plus a number of old video game systems.
            > Bring RF and co-ax adapter cables.
            >
            > Walking distance to Amtrak, just off rt 95.
            >
            > I might be working on a PDP 11/40.
            >
            > There is an IBM Series 1 that someone can experiment with. Power is
            > available.
            >
            > Video games, and modern computer stations available.
            >
            > There is plenty of space to sleep, but bring a sleeping bag.
            >
            > There are also places to grab something to eat nearby, but bring food and
            > drink as you see fit. I have a microwave and fridge.
            >
            > Parking should not be a problem, but I will check to see what the situation
            > is.
            >
            > Bill

          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
              Joe,

              I ask that people clean their computers before they arrive. Please do not
              bring any systems that need to be vacuumed, dusted, de-nested ,
              de-infested, etc. - this kind of stuff should be done before you arrive.
              Think "electronics workshop"
              I will send more details about the weekend, soon.

              Bill

              > I am interested in coming, not sure what I should bring though.. I have a
              box of about 20-25 S100 cards, some floppy controllers, some RAM cards, at
              least 1 or 2 Winchester controllers. Not really sure what else.. oh, I
              have a motherboard with 6 slots, but no case/power supply, and I don't
              think I have a CPU card, so I have never been able to even try to put
              together even a semi-functional S100 system.

              > I do have the chemicals needed to make Retr0brite, so I am sure some
              people will be interested in cleaning up some old stuff.

              > I probably should go and make myself up an inventory list of my vintage
              hardware (Both computers and video game consoles) Even if for no other
              reason than to know what I actually have. :)

              > Well back to work and time to clean up some spyware/viruses.
              >
              > Joe O.
              >

              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...>
              wrote:

              > > I have heard from people informally about their plans for the vintage
              > > computer hacking weekend Jan 30-31, but if you're considering attending

              > > please let me know so I can get an idea of the numbers. There is
              room
              > > for about 100 people. Because it's Winter and my kids can't be outside
              all
              > > weekend, I am going to have this at my office in Wilmington instead of
              my
              > > home. The location will be 103 W. 7th St. Wilmington.
              > >

              > > NOTES:
              > >
              > > The primary function of this event is to work on computers, but if you
              just
              > > want to pop over and play video games that's fine. I have a MAME
              cabinet
              > > that needs a sound card installed, plus a number of old video game
              systems.
              > > Bring RF and co-ax adapter cables.
              > >
              > > Walking distance to Amtrak, just off rt 95.
              > >
              > > I might be working on a PDP 11/40.
              > >
              > > There is an IBM Series 1 that someone can experiment with. Power is
              > > available.
              > >
              > > Video games, and modern computer stations available.
              > >
              > > There is plenty of space to sleep, but bring a sleeping bag.
              > >
              > > There are also places to grab something to eat nearby, but bring food
              and
              > > drink as you see fit. I have a microwave and fridge.
              > >
              > > Parking should not be a problem, but I will check to see what the
              situation
              > > is.
              > >
              > > Bill

            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
                Going to Vegas and CES.. Will be back Monday...  Take Care

              • joprysko1
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010
                  Well, the Retr0brite is more for restoring the colors of the outside of the casing caused by age/UV rays, cigarette smoke, etc.

                  Definitely looking forward to it, will probably bring one of my Apple IIc's, my Atari Portfolio, etc. I may post a list of some of the things I have and/or thinking about bringing, that way if someone is interested in seeing or using the unit, they can ask me to bring it. Also, I will probably list parts I have that I am willing to trade incase anyone needs them.

                  > Joe,
                  >
                  > I ask that people clean their computers before they arrive. Please do not
                  > bring any systems that need to be vacuumed, dusted, de-nested ,
                  > de-infested, etc. - this kind of stuff should be done before you arrive.
                  > Think "electronics workshop"
                  > I will send more details about the weekend, soon.
                  >
                  > Bill

                • Bill Degnan
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010

                    > Well, the Retr0brite is more for restoring the colors of the outside of
                    the casing caused by age/UV rays, cigarette smoke, etc.

                    I understand. I just wanted to describe the scene.

                    > Definitely looking forward to it, will probably bring one of my Apple
                    IIc's, my Atari Portfolio, etc. I may post a list of some of the things I
                    have and/or thinking about bringing, that way if someone is interested in
                    seeing or using the unit, they can ask me to bring it. Also, I will
                    probably list parts I have that I am willing to trade incase anyone needs
                    them.

                    I am sure there will be some swapping, fyi my office space is full of
                    stuff.

                    Bill
                  • Dan Roganti
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010

                      joprysko1 wrote:
                      I am interested in coming, not sure what I should bring though.. I have a box of about 20-25 S100 cards, some floppy controllers, some RAM cards, at least 1 or 2 Winchester controllers.

                      Joe,

                      I'm interested in what you have in S-100 cards too.
                      I'll be there at the workshop.

                      =Dan

                    • Dan Roganti
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010

                        Mike Loewen wrote:
                            I tentatively plan to attend.  Maybe one of you S100 gurus can help get
                        my IMSAI talking to its floppy drives.

                        Sure, we'll do our best, no promises though
                        But you have to come over first, no tentative, ssshhmentative plans  :)
                        I'll have my tools, test equipment and parts with me as always.

                        Bill,
                        Can we go online there still, in case we have to look up some technical data ?

                        =Dan

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 6, 2010

                          > Bill,
                          > Can we go online there still, in case we have to look up some
                          > technical data ?

                          Yes, there will be many access points.
                        • Christian Liendo
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 12, 2010
                            Please someone take pictures and post because I can't go and I would really like to see what went on.

                            Also anyway I think I found a solution to get more pictures on the website:

                            http://www.simpleviewer.net/simpleviewer/

                            There is a Picassa plugin that allows you to take pictures and quickly make a web album.

                            Bill, if I make some web albums and send them to you by CD (too big to e-mail) would you be willing to look and maybe post?