Re: [midatlanticretro] Welcome to Macintosh on CNBC January 4 at 9:30PM ET

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 40 , Jan 5, 2010
      HI Matt:

      The tones are sometimes used to signal local cable systems for a
      local commercial. I did not hear them on my system.
      A few years back, when I was living in NJ, I used to hear those tones
      quite often on some cable channels... right over the program audio,
      near the end of a scene. No reason why they had to do that. Some
      sort of vertical interval pulse could have done the same job. Or a
      sub-sonic tone. But, DTMF decoders are cheap.

      Regarding the video "effects"... likely someone being "cutesy", just
      because they can. Good documentarians rely on good content, not good
      effects. And when they use effects, you almost don't even notice
      them. Like good sound effects or music in a movie.

      73 de Ray

      P.S. Still, it was an interesting show. I especially like the
      interview portions with Guy Kawasaki.

      On Jan 4, 2010, at 10:04 PM, Matt Patoray wrote:

      > Ok,
      >
      > I do not watch CNBC very often, is it normal for them to play DTMF
      > tones when leaving a program and going to commercial? Or is this
      > just something weird the producers did, like the switching form
      > full screen color to letterboxed B&W...
      >
      > Matt
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Jan 4, 2010, at 9:41 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
      >

      >>> ‘Welcome to Macintosh’, the independent documentary highlighting
      >>> Apple Inc.’s history and following, is to make its exclusive
      >>> North American television premiere on CNBC, First in Business
      >>> Worldwide, on Monday, January 4 at 9:30PM ET.
      >>>

      >> Who else is watching this?
      >>
      >> It's been on for 10 minutes. At least two or three mistakes already.
      >>
      >> Nice seeing our friend Vince though.

    • Ray Sills
      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 5, 2010
        On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:30 AM, brian_cirulnick wrote:
        <snip>

        > And When Steve returned to Apple, and the iMac came out, he got
        > what he wanted -- the floppy was gone.

        </snip>

        BUT.... the electronics for it were part of the early iMac
        motherboards. Some early adopters easily hacked the machine and just
        ran some ribbon cable from the mother board out to an external
        floppy, and it would work just fine, thank you very much.

        I opted to get an outboard Imation "super disk", which would read and
        write to their proprietary 120 MB disk or standard high density 1.4
        MB floppies. The Imation drive used a USB connection. Still have it
        somewhere, along with a disk that contains tax programs and data.
        But the latest date on the disk is 1998, so I'm unlikely to have the
        IRS ask me to explain anything on a tax return that old. Most people
        can discard tax stuff more than 7 years old without worry.

        73 de Ray