The VAX Lives!

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2010
      I picked up a power supply from an Ebay seller for my VAX 4000/300
      (the supplies in both cabinets are bad), and the system is operational
      again. I learned something important in the process: just like the old
      Sun systems, the the AUI network interface on the VAX has to be connected
      to the network while booting. I wasted a lot of time troubleshooting this
      non-problem before I figured it out.

      So, back to learning VMS. I will hopefully be able to rebuild one good
      power suppy out of two bad ones.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2010
        Mike,

        My uVAX has a loopback device on the AUI - I assumed as a sort of
        terminator. I didn't realize that it is needed to boot!

        Jim

        Mike Loewen wrote:

        > I picked up a power supply from an Ebay seller for my VAX 4000/300
        > (the supplies in both cabinets are bad), and the system is operational
        > again. I learned something important in the process: just like the old
        > Sun systems, the the AUI network interface on the VAX has to be connected
        > to the network while booting. I wasted a lot of time troubleshooting this
        > non-problem before I figured it out.
        >
        > So, back to learning VMS. I will hopefully be able to rebuild one good
        > power suppy out of two bad ones.
        >
        > Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        > <mailto:mloewen%40cpumagic.scol.pa.us>
        > <http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/%7Emloewen/Oldtech/>

      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2010
          On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Jim Scheef wrote:

          > My uVAX has a loopback device on the AUI - I assumed as a sort of
          > terminator. I didn't realize that it is needed to boot!

          I suspect the loopback connector is for testing, but I'm no VAX guru.
          The lack of a network link doesn't prevent it from booting, but the
          network interface wouldn't work until I switched it over to the thinwire
          interface, then back to the AUI. Brian S.? What's the word?

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 8, 2010
            For those who may wish to experiment with emulating their favorite
            vintage CPU, I have an Actel ProASIC Plus 3.0 Starter Kit available, with
            an APA300-PQ208 evaluation board, FlashPro Lite Programmer and Libero IDE
            Gold software. $10, or offer me something interesting in trade. I may be
            able to get hold of a second one, if there's interest.

            I'll be at Bill's January Hacking Weekend.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 8, 2010
              Mike