Re: [midatlanticretro] Not exactly a vintage question, but please help me.

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
      like with a kleenex or a hanky?
      --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      <ploopster@...> wrote:
      > starbase89@... wrote:
      > > I'm going nuts. Last night I tried to update my
      BIOS to see if a CPU upgrade was possible. Now, when I
      boot, after I get past my bootloader, Windows XP gives
      me an error message saying the drive is "Unmountable"
      and the boot process has stopped to prevent damage to
      my computer. I can, however, boot into my Linux
      partition, which I am using to send this out. I was
      thinking that the MBR might have gotten screwed up in
      some way. Any ideas?

      > Try wiping the MBR. It shouldn't hurt anything.
      You just might have to
      > reinstall your Linux bootloader, but that shouldn't
      be a problem.

      > Peace... Sridhar

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
        Chris M wrote:
        > like with a kleenex or a hanky?

        With a DOS bootdisk and "fdisk /mbr c:" or something like that.

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
          OOOOOOOOOh ok. You meant erase. Gotcha ;)
          <ploopster@...> wrote:
          > Chris M wrote:
          > > like with a kleenex or a hanky?
          >
          > With a DOS bootdisk and "fdisk /mbr c:" or something
          like that.

          > Peace... Sridhar

          __________________________________
          http://farechase.yahoo.com
        • Chris M
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
            <ploopster@...> wrote:
            > Chris M wrote:
            > > like with a kleenex or a hanky?
            >
            > With a DOS bootdisk and "fdisk /mbr c:" or something
            like that.

            > Peace... Sridhar

            __________________________________
            http://farechase.yahoo.com
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
              Wipe = erase. Just as proper.

              Don't rub your disks with pieces of rubber.

              Peace... Sridhar

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 26, 2005
                Joe,

                Yes, a little off topic, but surely we can help our own...

                Did you write down all the settings in your old BIOS? The update could have
                set things differently - like the disk addressing mode.

                Jim