Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Welcome to Macintosh on CNBC January 4 at 9:30PM ET

  • Bob Schwier
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 31, 2009
      So hagiography does serve a purpose.  In this case we have capitalists who
      are doing what capitalists are supposed as opposed to the way too many
      tales of capitalists as thieves in suits.
      Capitalism is not necessarily evil just as it is not the solution to all problems.
      It does solve some problems and permits more innovations than certain other
      systems of economics and labor management.
      bs

      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 5, 2010
        On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:30 AM, brian_cirulnick wrote:
        <snip>

        > And When Steve returned to Apple, and the iMac came out, he got
        > what he wanted -- the floppy was gone.

        </snip>

        BUT.... the electronics for it were part of the early iMac
        motherboards. Some early adopters easily hacked the machine and just
        ran some ribbon cable from the mother board out to an external
        floppy, and it would work just fine, thank you very much.

        I opted to get an outboard Imation "super disk", which would read and
        write to their proprietary 120 MB disk or standard high density 1.4
        MB floppies. The Imation drive used a USB connection. Still have it
        somewhere, along with a disk that contains tax programs and data.
        But the latest date on the disk is 1998, so I'm unlikely to have the
        IRS ask me to explain anything on a tax return that old. Most people
        can discard tax stuff more than 7 years old without worry.

        73 de Ray