Re: So? Anyone get on-topic gifts?

  • mejeep_ferret
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 29, 2009
      I got the gift of SPACE by donating all I could to MARCH and MARCH members (and a few sales, which are really appreciated, thanks to Ian and Bill at the Festivus).

      Thanks to a semi-anonymous neighbor, I have a new PC and decommissioned an old one. Months ago, another neighbor gave me her old Dell system, which I'm enjoying immensely.

      -- jeffj
    • Ray Sills
      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 5, 2010
        On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:30 AM, brian_cirulnick wrote:
        <snip>

        > And When Steve returned to Apple, and the iMac came out, he got
        > what he wanted -- the floppy was gone.

        </snip>

        BUT.... the electronics for it were part of the early iMac
        motherboards. Some early adopters easily hacked the machine and just
        ran some ribbon cable from the mother board out to an external
        floppy, and it would work just fine, thank you very much.

        I opted to get an outboard Imation "super disk", which would read and
        write to their proprietary 120 MB disk or standard high density 1.4
        MB floppies. The Imation drive used a USB connection. Still have it
        somewhere, along with a disk that contains tax programs and data.
        But the latest date on the disk is 1998, so I'm unlikely to have the
        IRS ask me to explain anything on a tax return that old. Most people
        can discard tax stuff more than 7 years old without worry.

        73 de Ray