Re: [midatlanticretro] So? Anyone get on-topic gifts?

  • Timothy Fagan
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 28, 2009
      You got ENIAC plug boards at a local Goodwill? For 50c each?? And then spilled hamburger helper on them???

      Is it just me, or did that sentence get more and more bizarre as it went on? :-)

      Merry Christmas from NC, my fellow 'junque' collectors!

      Closest thing I got to on-topic was a neat (cheap) Chinese portable that plays NES carts. Funniest thing is it's about half the size of the carts it plays! LOL   Not on-topic, but my fave gift of the year was my PS3! :-)

      --Timster--

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Dec 28, 2009, at 4:12 PM, "Bill Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > > I'm not sure. I got Cyber Clean
      > > (http://www.cyberclean.tv). It is supposed
      > > to be a cleaning compound for electronic devices. "press it on and the

      > > dirt is gone". Anyone have any experience with this ? Is safe to use
      on
      > > circuit boards etc. We are always cleaning vintage computers and I'm
      > > wondering if this material is useful or just a fad.
      >
      > That look like silly putty, it does the same thing-- it's been around for
      50yrs
      > Ever try to clean the dirt out of silly putty, it's because everything
      sticks to it.

      I got this for Christmas too...I will let you know how it works.

      I got a few ENIAC plug boards at the local Goodwill for 50 cents each, but
      when I got them home I spilled my Hamberger Helper dinner on two of them.
      I will try Comet to clean one, and Cyberclean on the other, to see which
      gets them shinier.

      Bill

    • Ray Sills
      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 5, 2010
        On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:30 AM, brian_cirulnick wrote:
        <snip>

        > And When Steve returned to Apple, and the iMac came out, he got
        > what he wanted -- the floppy was gone.

        </snip>

        BUT.... the electronics for it were part of the early iMac
        motherboards. Some early adopters easily hacked the machine and just
        ran some ribbon cable from the mother board out to an external
        floppy, and it would work just fine, thank you very much.

        I opted to get an outboard Imation "super disk", which would read and
        write to their proprietary 120 MB disk or standard high density 1.4
        MB floppies. The Imation drive used a USB connection. Still have it
        somewhere, along with a disk that contains tax programs and data.
        But the latest date on the disk is 1998, so I'm unlikely to have the
        IRS ask me to explain anything on a tax return that old. Most people
        can discard tax stuff more than 7 years old without worry.

        73 de Ray