Re: [midatlanticretro] So? Anyone get on-topic gifts?

    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 28, 2009
      > I got this for Christmas too...I will let you know how it works.
      >
      > I got a few ENIAC plug boards at the local Goodwill for 50 cents each, but when I got them home I spilled my Hamberger Helper dinner on two of them. I will try Comet to clean one, and Cyberclean on the other, to see which gets them shinier.

      What a coincidence! I found a new-in-box Lisa 1, but I figured you've
      already got that, so I sold it on ebay for a quick hit of $75. Woot!
    • Ray Sills
      Message 40 of 40 , Jan 5, 2010
        On Jan 5, 2010, at 11:30 AM, brian_cirulnick wrote:
        <snip>

        > And When Steve returned to Apple, and the iMac came out, he got
        > what he wanted -- the floppy was gone.

        </snip>

        BUT.... the electronics for it were part of the early iMac
        motherboards. Some early adopters easily hacked the machine and just
        ran some ribbon cable from the mother board out to an external
        floppy, and it would work just fine, thank you very much.

        I opted to get an outboard Imation "super disk", which would read and
        write to their proprietary 120 MB disk or standard high density 1.4
        MB floppies. The Imation drive used a USB connection. Still have it
        somewhere, along with a disk that contains tax programs and data.
        But the latest date on the disk is 1998, so I'm unlikely to have the
        IRS ask me to explain anything on a tax return that old. Most people
        can discard tax stuff more than 7 years old without worry.

        73 de Ray