Not exactly a vintage question, but please help me.

  • starbase89@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
      I'm going nuts. Last night I tried to update my BIOS to see if a CPU upgrade was possible. Now, when I boot, after I get past my bootloader, Windows XP gives me an error message saying the drive is "Unmountable" and the boot process has stopped to prevent damage to my computer. I can, however, boot into my Linux partition, which I am using to send this out. I was thinking that the MBR might have gotten screwed up in some way. Any ideas?

      JoeG
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
        try Norton/System Mech. Look at it with Part Magic if
        you got it. Restore to the orig bios? Dunno
        --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • madodel@ptdprolog.net
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
          In <e3bdba046839.435a5984@...>, on 10/22/05 at 03:23 PM,
          starbase89@... said:

          >I'm going nuts. Last night I tried to update my BIOS to see if a CPU
          >upgrade was possible. Now, when I boot, after I get past my bootloader,
          >Windows XP gives me an error message saying the drive is "Unmountable"
          >and the boot process has stopped to prevent damage to my computer. I can,
          >however, boot into my Linux partition, which I am using to send this out.
          >I was thinking that the MBR might have gotten screwed up in some way. Any
          >ideas?

          >JoeG

          First think to do is boot to DOS and try FDISK /MBR to write a new MBR.
          In OS/2 this is FDISK /NEWMBR. I have no idea what the equivalent is in
          XP if you can boot from the install CD. If you have Partition Magic try
          and see if that will restore the MBR. I believe that has a bootable
          version, it use to be runnable off a floppy. If not, you can try DFSee
          which can be run either from a bootable CD or after booting a DOS disk. It
          also runs from OS/2 and Linux so you can run it from your booted Linux
          partition. http://www.dfsee.com If it helps solve your problem or you
          need support you can register it. I know the author and he is extremely
          helpful and knowledgeable about drive problems.

          Mark

          --

          From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

          Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005 http://www.warpstock.org
          Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20 http://www.warpstock.net

          For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

          "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
            Joe, in the future, please just preface the subject line with "OT:" ("off-topic")... that way you don't have to explain so much.

            I'm going nuts. Last night I tried to update my BIOS to see if a CPU upgrade was possible. Now, when I boot, after I get past my bootloader, Windows XP gives me an error message saying the drive is "Unmountable" and the boot process has stopped to prevent damage to my computer. I can, however, boot into my Linux partition, which I am using to send this out. I was thinking that the MBR might have gotten screwed up in some way. Any ideas?

            JoeG
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
              starbase89@... wrote:
              > I'm going nuts. Last night I tried to update my BIOS to see if a CPU upgrade was possible. Now, when I boot, after I get past my bootloader, Windows XP gives me an error message saying the drive is "Unmountable" and the boot process has stopped to prevent damage to my computer. I can, however, boot into my Linux partition, which I am using to send this out. I was thinking that the MBR might have gotten screwed up in some way. Any ideas?

              Try wiping the MBR. It shouldn't hurt anything. You just might have to
              reinstall your Linux bootloader, but that shouldn't be a problem.

              Peace... Sridhar
            • Chris M
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
                like with a kleenex or a hanky?
                <ploopster@...> wrote:
                > starbase89@... wrote:
                > > I'm going nuts. Last night I tried to update my
                BIOS to see if a CPU upgrade was possible. Now, when I
                boot, after I get past my bootloader, Windows XP gives
                me an error message saying the drive is "Unmountable"
                and the boot process has stopped to prevent damage to
                my computer. I can, however, boot into my Linux
                partition, which I am using to send this out. I was
                thinking that the MBR might have gotten screwed up in
                some way. Any ideas?

                > Try wiping the MBR. It shouldn't hurt anything.
                You just might have to
                > reinstall your Linux bootloader, but that shouldn't
                be a problem.

                > Peace... Sridhar

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Sridhar Ayengar
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
                  Chris M wrote:
                  > like with a kleenex or a hanky?

                  With a DOS bootdisk and "fdisk /mbr c:" or something like that.

                  Peace... Sridhar
                • Chris M
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
                    OOOOOOOOOh ok. You meant erase. Gotcha ;)
                    <ploopster@...> wrote:
                    > Chris M wrote:
                    > > like with a kleenex or a hanky?
                    >
                    > With a DOS bootdisk and "fdisk /mbr c:" or something
                    like that.

                    > Peace... Sridhar

                    __________________________________
                    http://farechase.yahoo.com
                  • Chris M
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
                      <ploopster@...> wrote:
                      > Chris M wrote:
                      > > like with a kleenex or a hanky?
                      >
                      > With a DOS bootdisk and "fdisk /mbr c:" or something
                      like that.

                      > Peace... Sridhar

                      __________________________________
                      http://farechase.yahoo.com
                    • Sridhar Ayengar
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 22, 2005
                        Wipe = erase. Just as proper.

                        Don't rub your disks with pieces of rubber.

                        Peace... Sridhar

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 26, 2005
                          Joe,

                          Yes, a little off topic, but surely we can help our own...

                          Did you write down all the settings in your old BIOS? The update could have
                          set things differently - like the disk addressing mode.

                          Jim