128K MP3 on 80 column punch cards

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 17, 2009
      Hi,

      I was goofing on a listener at the radio station trying to listen to the
      stream with WEENDOZE. A couple of the listeners got with the joke and it
      soon eroded into some really silly solutions. One provoked the following
      question:

      How many 80 column cards would it take to encode 1 second of 128K MP3???
      How deep would that deck be?

      Just a curiosity to put things into perspective.

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 17, 2009
        On Thu, 17 Dec 2009, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

        > How many 80 column cards would it take to encode 1 second of 128K MP3???
        > How deep would that deck be?

        We had this conversation recently on cctalk. A standard IBM card is
        0.178mm thick, and could possibly hold 120 bytes (960 bits). Take it from
        there. :-)

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 17, 2009
          >> How many 80 column cards would it take to encode 1 second of 128K MP3??? How deep would that deck be?
          >>
          > We had this conversation recently on cctalk. A standard IBM card is 0.178mm thick, and could possibly hold 120 bytes (960 bits). Take it from there. :-)

          And of course, there's no reason to have the redundant conversation here
          if turns into a simple math problem.
        • Timothy Fagan
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 17, 2009
            To end all the suspense... a 4MB stored on punch cards that are .178mm thick and hold 120 bytes each would take a stack approximately 6.25 kilometers high.

            Just try downloading it with your 300bps modem!

            :-)

            Happy Holidays all my fellow vintage computer/gaming collecting nuts!
            --Timster--

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 18, 2009
              Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

              >>> How many 80 column cards would it take to encode 1 second of 128K
              >MP3??? How deep would that deck be? >> > We had this conversation
              >recently on cctalk. A standard IBM card is 0.178mm thick, and could
              >possibly hold 120 bytes (960 bits). Take it from there. :-)
              >
              >And of course, there's no reason to have the redundant conversation here
              >if turns into a simple math problem.

              I don't know who you quoted, Evan, but I never received that post. Thanks
              for the info whoever provided it. I will do some computation and see if I
              can amass enough actual cards to show 1 sec. of 128K MP3.

            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 18, 2009
                On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                > I don't know who you quoted, Evan, but I never received that post. Thanks
                > for the info whoever provided it. I will do some computation and see if I
                > can amass enough actual cards to show 1 sec. of 128K MP3.

                That was me.

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 18, 2009
                  Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                  >--DEf1JDTUHdQcahAPHkKif-tpbAQDCbSKEihOMys Content-Type: text/plain;
                  >charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
                  >
                  >On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                  >
                  >> I don't know who you quoted, Evan, but I never received that post.
                  >Thanks > for the info whoever provided it. I will do some computation
                  >and see if I > can amass enough actual cards to show 1 sec. of 128K MP3.
                  >
                  > That was me.

                  Thanks Mike. I figured if anyone would know, it would be you.

                  How are you fairing with the PSs on the VAX?

                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 18, 2009
                    On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

                    > How are you fairing with the PSs on the VAX?

                    I used my ESR tester to check the big electrolytic caps in-circuit, and
                    only found one that was questionable. I replaced it, but it made no
                    difference. I just bought another PS from a guy on Ebay, and will cross
                    my fingers that it works. I hope to be able to cobble together one good
                    PS out of two bad ones, and maybe figure out the problem. I hate working
                    on switchers, especially with no schematics or even pinouts.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...