OT: Looking to * buy * a laptop this time...

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 20, 2005
      Hi all ... A while ago I posted here looking to borrow a laptop ... But now
      I'm thinking that I should buy one instead.

      Anyone have something old -- but not TOO old; for example at least capable
      of running Win 98/2000 -- that they'd sell for a fair price?

      This is fairly urgent.

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 20, 2005
        In <000e01c5d5c2$c49ca8a0$d153f945@owneriywbc5o7y>, on 10/20/05 at 06:08
        PM,
        "Evan" <evan947@...> said:

        >Hi all ... A while ago I posted here looking to borrow a laptop ... But
        >now I'm thinking that I should buy one instead.

        >Anyone have something old -- but not TOO old; for example at least
        >capable of running Win 98/2000 -- that they'd sell for a fair price?

        >This is fairly urgent.

        Evan,

        An option is to buy a refurbed laptop. IBM has some decent deals, and the
        Thinkpad is probably the best of the Intel platform hardware. The T
        models are the best in overall quality (metal cases) and performance.
        Stay away from the G models. A and R are OK but not as good as the Ts.
        Right now IBM has a sale on their refurbs so its an even better deal. And
        they all come with a 3 month warranty and a 7 day money back guaranty.
        Disclaimer: I do have IBM stock, but seriously a used laptop isn't going
        to benefit my share prices. I'm just a satisfied user of an refurbed IBM
        T42p.

        http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1&categoryId=2576396

        You don't say how much you can spend, but the T23 for $467 is a good deal
        and it comes with a P3, DVD-ROM, win2k and Lotus Smart Suite so its even
        usable out of the box. In my experience a Pentium3 is better than a P4 in
        a laptop because they use less power and generate far less heat. A
        PentiumM is the best, but is also the priciest. If you are are looking at
        non-IBM laptops, an AMD Athlon can be good as well.

        Mark

        --

        From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

        Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005 http://www.warpstock.org
        Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20 http://www.warpstock.net

        For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

        "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 20, 2005
          Wow, great prices there -- thanks Mark!

          Just bought an R31 for $361 which includes shipping and tax.  Its specs are pretty impressive for that price -- http://tinyurl.com/9rqu5.

          I spent a couple of hours today looking at laptops on Craigslist, and it's all junk or overpriced or both.  Also checked Dell/HP refurbished prices and they start at $400-$500+.  Nice to see IBM have the best deal for a change.  LOL, of course your IBM stock is moot because the Chinese government controls Lenovo.

          ...And now back to our regularly scheduled discussions.

          >Hi all ... A while ago I posted here looking to borrow
          a laptop ... But
          >now I'm thinking that I should buy one
          instead.

          >Anyone have something old -- but not TOO old; for example at
          least
          >capable of running Win 98/2000 -- that they'd sell for a fair
          price?

          >This is fairly urgent.

          Evan,

          An option is to buy a refurbed laptop.  IBM has some decent deals, and the
          Thinkpad is probably the best of the Intel platform hardware.  The T
          models are the best in overall quality (metal cases) and performance.
          Stay away from the G models.  A and R are OK but not as good as the Ts.
          Right now IBM has a sale on their refurbs so its an even better deal.  And
          they all come with a 3 month warranty and a 7 day money back guaranty.
          Disclaimer: I do have IBM stock, but seriously a used laptop isn't going
          to benefit my share prices.  I'm just a satisfied user of an refurbed IBM
          T42p.

          http://www-132.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1&categoryId=2576396

          You don't say how much you can spend, but the T23 for $467 is a good deal
          and it comes with a P3, DVD-ROM, win2k and Lotus Smart Suite so its even
          usable out of the box.  In my experience a Pentium3 is better than a P4 in
          a laptop because they use less power and generate far less heat.  A
          PentiumM is the best, but is also the priciest.  If you are are looking at
          non-IBM laptops, an AMD Athlon can be good as well.

          Mark

          --

          From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

          Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005  http://www.warpstock.org
          Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20 http://www.warpstock.net

          For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

            "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself.   That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938

        • madodel
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 21, 2005
            Evan wrote:
            > Wow, great prices there -- thanks Mark!
            >
            > Just bought an R31 for $361 which includes shipping and tax. Its specs
            > are pretty impressive for that price -- http://tinyurl.com/9rqu5.

            Nice machine and its nice to know that it was refurbed and tested by IBM so
            everything should work and if it doesn't just call IBM support and they will
            ship replacement parts.

            > I spent a couple of hours today looking at laptops on Craigslist, and
            > it's all junk or overpriced or both. Also checked Dell/HP refurbished
            > prices and they start at $400-$500+. Nice to see IBM have the best deal
            > for a change. LOL, of course your IBM stock is moot because the Chinese
            > government controls Lenovo.

            Though most likely the newer ones were made by Lenovo these machines are still
            are badged as IBM and supported by IBM.

            Good luck with the new machine.

            Mark

            --

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 21, 2005
              Evan,

              I was about to suggest TigerDirect, but Mark led you to a better deal - 1GHz
              P3 with XP Pro (the only choice in Windows today) and Lotus SmartSuite (which
              makes it vintage!). I'd add more RAM, if you possibly can. This machine might
              use propietary SODIMM's so you need to do your homework.

              Jim

              --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

              > Wow, great prices there -- thanks Mark!
              >
              > Just bought an R31 for $361 which includes shipping and tax. Its specs are
              > pretty impressive for that price -- http://tinyurl.com/9rqu5.
              >
              > I spent a couple of hours today looking at laptops on Craigslist, and it's
              > all junk or overpriced or both. Also checked Dell/HP refurbished prices
              > and
              > they start at $400-$500+. Nice to see IBM have the best deal for a change.
              > LOL, of course your IBM stock is moot because the Chinese government
              > controls Lenovo.
              >
              > ...And now back to our regularly scheduled discussions.
              >
              > _____

              =Field+trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99&
              > .sig=WZ8tqwKinCI7p46-Ck--Bg> computer Field

              +trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99&.sig=f
              > aIMoKJT2FQzbqsbJZFJsA> trip Swap

              trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99&.sig=-5
              > 2Bmme3BkOCRm7_TpTuMQ> meet
              > Computer

              2=Field+trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99
              > &.sig=uA3QPLlybCdZtpQLxdPxrg> security Computer

              2=Field+trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99
              > &.sig=Q_g6zf6pdAEsR9fV8ki73w> training
              >
              > _____
              >
              > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
              >

              > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
              >

              > _____

            • Evan
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 21, 2005
                Maybe I'll downgrade it to run CP/M.  :)

                href="http://tinyurl.com/9rqu5.">http://tinyurl.com/9rqu5.

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 21, 2005
                  haven't been following the thread closely. But I
                  gather Evan is considering buying a used laptop. NOT a
                  good idea IMHO. Roughly once a month, one of the big
                  chains has something on sale for around $500, after
                  rebates. Get the Sunday AP Press or whatever. Or look
                  on line. Your cost might come out to around 6 bills
                  though after tax and all. And INITIALLY you'll be
                  paying around 800-1000 bucks. That's the ONLY way I
                  would go. As a matter of fact, I bought one such unit
                  about a month ago, but then figured I'd be better off
                  getting parts for my Sony that bellied up. So I
                  returned it.
                  I've had nothing but PROBLEMS with used lt's. I would
                  definately not go there. You'll save in the end
                  $100-200, and get alot of headaches in the process.
                  Someone mentioned Tiger Direct. They sent me a load
                  of crap some years ago like you wouldn't believe. Was
                  said to be NEW, and was so so obviously used, and
                  abused.
                  Just think. With a new laptop you get a WARRANTY (~1
                  year). You can extend it reasonably (not so sure I'd
                  want to put ~$150 into a $500 lt though).
                  Avoid Compaqs and HP's and most others. You do see
                  Toshiba's at such discounts though, and they're
                  probably pretty good.
                  You won't get a Sony for less then 1G.
                  Just my advice. Hoped to have someone avoid the aches
                  and pains.

                  __________________________________
                  http://farechase.yahoo.com
                • Evan
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 21, 2005
                    Thanks, but too late... but a "certified used" IBM ThinkPad straight from IBM.  Even came with a three-month warranty.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 21, 2005
                      you can also get a Best Buy card or some sort of 6
                      months same as cash through CompUSA. Debt it the devil
                      I know, but for short term relatively inexpensive
                      purchases, it might be a solution.

                      __________________________________
                      http://farechase.yahoo.com
                    • John Allain
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 22, 2005
                        I applaud Evan for choosing IBM.
                        The price he paid I thought was high but he got a great machine.
                        Way more power than w98 needs (/needed).
                        I just refurbished a W98 class lapop for $30.00 total expense
                        and it works great. I was a bit lucky that a full set of drivers was
                        present in the MS W98 install however. There's a place in New
                        Jersey where I can _inspect_ and pick up used laptops for around
                        $50. Part of Classic computing is knowing what value a thing has
                        at any given time. Another part is being able to do your own limited
                        servicing.

                        John A.
                      • starbase89@optonline.net
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 22, 2005
                          Laptops for $50? Where?
                        • Chris M
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 22, 2005
                            are they hot?
                            <starbase89@...> wrote:
                            > Laptops for $50? Where?
                            > ------------
                            > Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:46:23 -0400
                            > From: allain@...
                            > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] laptops
                            > Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 10:46:23 -0400
                            > From: John Allain
                            > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] laptops
                            > Sender: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            > To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                            s=lima; d=yahoogroups.com;

                            b=l3ZueH3cO2IBTFLMYQWBsZjHwrXT5AbxeLkNg8Tq/Fn7MCifprfFRlVQ6pBiXC0E9ZCOdmysm1vwdDbnvFNODPa8Hljl0teufomq8SuEjd0pkOkvTJM/SwY7jfaf7icw;

                            __________________________________
                            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                          • starbase89@optonline.net
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 22, 2005
                              I wouldn't care if they were. Where? Please!
                            • Evan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 22, 2005
                                W98?  No, I'll be running XP.

                                Evan ---> big hypocrite going OT too much.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 22, 2005
                                  If you have it, I strongly urge Windows 2000 as opposed to XP.