Re: [midatlanticretro] Report on the Warpstock OS/2 Museum

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 19, 2005
      madodel@... wrote:
      > In <43563C4A.5000606@...>, on 10/19/05 at 08:30 AM,
      > Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> said:
      >

      >>If it's a PC Server 500, then it's a P/390, not a P/370. The hardest
      >>part to find isn't the mainframe OS, but the license disks. I have
      >>both. I doubt it would be possible to license a recent mainframe OS for
      >>any reasonable amount of money, but older stuff should be fine.
      >

      > He just said "PC 500 P/370", so maybe its a PC Server 500 with a P/370
      > card. I've never seen either myself so I don't know what the difference

      Nope. The P/370 card is 8-bit XT bus. The PC Server 500 is MCA. It's
      a MCA P/390 card. That's a standard configuration for an MCA P/390.

      > between the P/390 and the P/370 cards are, but I believe both run VM and
      > MVS from what I have seen using Google. From what I have read the P/370
      > is just an older generation of the mainframe on a card concept.

      Yes, but the P/390 is much newer and much, much faster. The P/370 was
      370/XA architecture while the P/390 is ESA/390+. The P/390E, which came
      later, is 31-bit z/Architecture.

      > I know at one time an employer of mine wanted to use a bunch of PC/370
      > machines as a distributed front end for a hospital mainframe system that
      > ran on a 4381. It was somewhat cutting edge stuff back then (15+ years
      > ago) and never got any funding so we never got the equipment to even look
      > at.

      I actually have three of these mainframe-on-a-card machines. Two P/390
      PCI's and an R/390E (the last generation of P/390 technology in a RS/6000).

      Peace... Sridhar