I should mention - I can give a ride to InfoAge on Sat from Newark and return that night before 12midn.

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2009
      If anyone is interested in helping with the moving of the Burroughs
      workstation from Newark, I can give them a ride to the InfoAge party. I
      will be returning that night in order to drop off the truck before
      midnight.

      There is a caveat however.....I live nearby. I will have to first go to my
      house to pick up my PDP 11/40 RL02, and LA36 terminal printer, put those in
      the truck too, drop them off in my office in Wilmington, and then grab
      MARCH's PDP 11/05's which are currently at my office in Wilmington.
      Fortunately my office is along the way to InfoAge.

      Bryan Pope can tell you how much fun it is to move things from my house to
      my office, he helped move my Series 1 from the shed to the first floor of
      my office. Fortunately it's relatively easy to unload stuff from a truck
      to the back door of my office. I have tons of vintage computer stuff in my
      office if that is of any interest.

      Bill
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2009
        On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Bill Degnan wrote:

        > I have tons of vintage computer stuff in my office if that is of any
        > interest.

        ... and fire insurance?

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 4, 2009
          >> I have tons of vintage computer stuff in my office if that is of any interest.
          >>
          > ... and fire insurance?
          That's horribly insensitive, and not funny at all.
        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 4, 2009
            On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Evan Koblentz wrote:

            >>> I have tons of vintage computer stuff in my office if that is of any interest.
            >>>
            >> ... and fire insurance?
            > That's horribly insensitive, and not funny at all.

            It wasn't meant to be either one.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 4, 2009
              InfoAge on Sat from Newark and return that night before 12midn.

              > On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Bill Degnan wrote:
              >
              > > I have tons of vintage computer stuff in my office if that is of any
              > > interest.
              >
              > ... and fire insurance?

              absolutley. In fact I have an umbrella insurance policy that covers
              vintage computers specifically.
            • Mike Loewen
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 4, 2009
                On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Bill Degnan wrote:

                >>> I have tons of vintage computer stuff in my office if that is of any
                >>> interest.
                >>
                >> ... and fire insurance?
                >>

                > absolutley. In fact I have an umbrella insurance policy that covers
                > vintage computers specifically.

                I have a rider on my homeowner's policy that covers my musical
                instruments, both at home and while gigging, but nothing specifically for
                my vintage computers. Setting a value on my horns was easy, but how do
                you put values on your vintage systems? I obviously have an inventory
                (web site) with pictures, but very few receipts. Not that purchase price
                has anything to do with value or replacement cost. How did you approach
                it?

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              • Bill Degnan
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 4, 2009
                  > I have a rider on my homeowner's policy that covers my musical
                  > instruments, both at home and while gigging, but nothing specifically for

                  > my vintage computers. Setting a value on my horns was easy, but how do
                  > you put values on your vintage systems? I obviously have an inventory
                  > (web site) with pictures, but very few receipts. Not that purchase price

                  > has anything to do with value or replacement cost. How did you approach

                  > it?

                  Reimbursement based on replacement cost. I would have to get an estimate
                  from "experts" or museums, but I have 50+% of my inventory documented on my
                  web site. Frankly it's a hard thing to really even think about, no money
                  is worth the time put into these things, plus the loss of so many
                  one-of-a-kind things would be heart breaking. This is why it's so
                  important to keep responsible track of everything.

                  I am so glad to hear Claude is OK, and ultimately human life is most
                  important, but the loss of that Burroughs 205 is painful to think about.