Report on the Warpstock OS/2 Museum

  • madodel@ptdprolog.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 18, 2005
      Evan suggested I send this to the list. In addition to the following
      there is the potential for somone to donate a PC 500 P/370 if MARCH is
      interested. This is a PC running OS/2 with an addin card that will run
      IBM mainframe operating systems (VM and MVS). I don't know if he actually
      has VM or MVS to run on the thing. That is usually the draw back to these
      things since licensing the operating system usually costs thousands of
      dollars a year.

      Mark

      For something a bit different at the 9th annual Warpstock OS/2 users
      conference held this year in Hershey, Pennsylvania October 5-9, we put
      together a small museum of vintage hardware running different versions of
      OS/2 from the past. We tried to get as many different versions - from
      OS/2 1.0 through the last official commercially available release, OS/2
      Warp Server eBusiness. The hardware and software was either donated or
      acquired off of eBay.

      We had the following running hardware at the OS/2 Museum at Warpstock:

      * An IBM PS/2 Model 50Z with OS/2 1.0 Extended Edition from 1987.
      * An IBM PS/2 L40SX laptop with OS/2 1.31 Standard Edition from 1990.
      * Another L40SX PS/2 laptop with 2.0 from 1991.
      * Aron Eisenpress brought a PS/2 TV unit to Warpstock along with a rabbit
      ears antenna. It was incredible that this product was available almost
      15 years ago and worked so well even today. This unit was attached
      (between the computer and the monitor via the VGA and keyboard cables) to
      an IBM PS/2 model 70 with OS/2 1.3 Standard Edition installed. PIP or
      full screen broadcast TV overlayed on a VGA monitor.
      * Aron also brought a PS/2 model 57slc Multimedia PC running OS/2 2.0.
      The videos played on this were extremely vibrant considering it was on a
      VGA monitor and the hardware was from 15 years ago.
      * Other hardware included a PC 300GL with Warp Beta II on it. Our keynote
      speaker Mike Kaply of IBM, and a lead of IBM's contribution to the Mozilla
      open source browser project, brought a bunch of Warp Beta II CDs which had
      "Prepare to go to Warp Speed" on them, which were never released because
      Paramount Studios sent IBM a letter to stop using the term "Warp" to mean
      speed. The CDs were put up in a silent auction with a bunch of other neat
      stuff in memory of James Taylor, who died about a year ago. He was one of
      the main developers of the WorkPlaceShell, the first truly object oriented
      computer desktop for the Intel compatible platform.
      * Also a Netfinity 3500 tower system with Warp Server 4.0 on it and a
      dual Pentium Pro 200MHz Toshiba Equium with Warp Server for eBusiness.
      Warp Server for eBusiness will support up to 64 concurrent processors out
      of the box.
      * The prize of the collection a Power Series PC model 830 with OS/2
      PowerPC Edition on it. A big thanks to Tero Kaarlela for helping us get
      that machine, Hollis Blanchard of penguinppc.org for donating it, Vicci
      Conway of IBM for shipping it to us, and Michal Necasek and Oliver Mark as
      well for locating software to run on the PowerPC. Unfortunately we heard
      from Mike Kaply that just a few weeks before our event IBM destroyed
      several thousand copies of OS/2 PowerPC edition that they had in storage
      for over ten years. So for our museum we only had burned images of the
      OS/2 PowerPC software.

      Some people contributed some more items they brought with them to the
      museum. Besides Aron's PS/2 TV unit, this included a shrinkwrapped OEM
      copy of Microsoft OS/2 1.0 for Amdek computers and more items as well.
      Other treasures displayed included Microsoft Multiplan for OS/2, as well
      as Microsoft Word for OS/2, the original Lotus Smart Suite for OS/2 and a
      large collection of IBM OS/2 related videos which we played in the exhibit
      area.

      I never did get my PS/2 model 55SX working and Aron spent quite a bit of
      time taking that and two dead model 70s apart to see if he could get them
      working. But the OS/2 Museum still seemed to be appreciated by quite a few
      attendees. People were playing with the running machines, some for the
      first time and others who had run these same machines over a decade ago
      and were reliving a little bit of the past. The plan is that this
      collection will find a more permanent home as a small part of the new
      MidAtlantic Vintage Computer Museum being formed at the InfoAge.org site
      in Wall, NJ.

      --

      From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel, president, Warpstock Inc.
      Phone: (570) 420-9688

      Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005
      Warpstock 2006, Where/When? http://www.warpstock.org
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 18, 2005
        Thanks, Mark.

        Hope to see you on Nov. 12; we're starting at 10AM.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 19, 2005
          If it's a PC Server 500, then it's a P/390, not a P/370. The hardest
          part to find isn't the mainframe OS, but the license disks. I have
          both. I doubt it would be possible to license a recent mainframe OS for
          any reasonable amount of money, but older stuff should be fine.

          Peace... Sridhar

        • madodel@ptdprolog.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 19, 2005
            In <43563C4A.5000606@...>, on 10/19/05 at 08:30 AM,
            Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> said:

            >If it's a PC Server 500, then it's a P/390, not a P/370. The hardest
            >part to find isn't the mainframe OS, but the license disks. I have
            >both. I doubt it would be possible to license a recent mainframe OS for
            >any reasonable amount of money, but older stuff should be fine.

            He just said "PC 500 P/370", so maybe its a PC Server 500 with a P/370
            card. I've never seen either myself so I don't know what the difference
            between the P/390 and the P/370 cards are, but I believe both run VM and
            MVS from what I have seen using Google. From what I have read the P/370
            is just an older generation of the mainframe on a card concept.

            I know at one time an employer of mine wanted to use a bunch of PC/370
            machines as a distributed front end for a hospital mainframe system that
            ran on a 4381. It was somewhat cutting edge stuff back then (15+ years
            ago) and never got any funding so we never got the equipment to even look
            at.

            Mark

            --

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005 http://www.warpstock.org
            Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20 http://www.warpstock.net

            For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE - http://www.os2voice.org

            "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 19, 2005
              madodel@... wrote:
              > In <43563C4A.5000606@...>, on 10/19/05 at 08:30 AM,
              > Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster@...> said:
              >

              >>If it's a PC Server 500, then it's a P/390, not a P/370. The hardest
              >>part to find isn't the mainframe OS, but the license disks. I have
              >>both. I doubt it would be possible to license a recent mainframe OS for
              >>any reasonable amount of money, but older stuff should be fine.
              >

              > He just said "PC 500 P/370", so maybe its a PC Server 500 with a P/370
              > card. I've never seen either myself so I don't know what the difference

              Nope. The P/370 card is 8-bit XT bus. The PC Server 500 is MCA. It's
              a MCA P/390 card. That's a standard configuration for an MCA P/390.

              > between the P/390 and the P/370 cards are, but I believe both run VM and
              > MVS from what I have seen using Google. From what I have read the P/370
              > is just an older generation of the mainframe on a card concept.

              Yes, but the P/390 is much newer and much, much faster. The P/370 was
              370/XA architecture while the P/390 is ESA/390+. The P/390E, which came
              later, is 31-bit z/Architecture.

              > I know at one time an employer of mine wanted to use a bunch of PC/370
              > machines as a distributed front end for a hospital mainframe system that
              > ran on a 4381. It was somewhat cutting edge stuff back then (15+ years
              > ago) and never got any funding so we never got the equipment to even look
              > at.

              I actually have three of these mainframe-on-a-card machines. Two P/390
              PCI's and an R/390E (the last generation of P/390 technology in a RS/6000).

              Peace... Sridhar