Re: [midatlanticretro] I'm new here, but the "old" in my user name ain't kiddin"

  • evan
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2005
      Ray,

      I always enjoy hearing from you. Thanks for checking out MARCH, the
      Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists. Give us a head-up if you ever visit
      out here.

      - Evan K.

      --- olddataman2000 <b.r.borrill@...> wrote:

      > Hello Group,
      > Being an expatriate of Long Island I have to keep track of you
      > people even though I live in Indiana now. I go back a ways in the
      > ccomputer industry. I started in late 1956 and have been in love
      > with two important things in my life. My wife Barbara of over 51
      > years and computers in general. I started in the personal computer
      > industry in 1975 when I attended the conference on standards for
      > audio tape recording peripherals for personal computers. I opened my
      > first store in Feb. 1976 and have been told it was the 12th or 13th
      > store in the world, but I don't go that far. I just say it was one
      > of the first dozen or so GOOD stores. You can read about me in Fire
      > In The Valley which was co-auhored by Mike Swaine of Dr. Dobbs fame
      > who worked for me as my software support person for a couple of
      > years before moving to the coast to become famous. If you are
      > familiar with the Osborne McGraw Hill book called something
      > like "The CP/M User Guide" by Thom Hogan, you might be interested in
      > the fact that the fink wrote in on my time when he held the software
      > support position before MIke. I'm kidding of course , but I like to
      > needle him every chance I get because he dedicated the book to
      > anyone who was of any assistance, except me, and I intgroduced hime
      > to Adam Osborne and he used my store demo Vector Graphics word
      > processing system to write it!
      > At the time I was also a VP of Ted Nelson"s "itty bitty machine
      > co." I was dealer nr. 007 for Cromemco, nr. 8 for Processor Tech
      > and nr. 10 for IMSAI, among others. A few months later I became one
      > of the first two or three Apple dealers. Those were the days. We
      > dodn't make much money but we worked so hard and fast, and had so
      > much fun it didn't matter.
      > So, Good Luck with MARCH and I'll throw my two cents worth in
      > occasionaly, just to annoy you with my run-on sentences and typo
      > errors.
      >
      > Warmest Regards
      > Ray Borrill (olddataman2000)
      >
      > PS In caseyou wonder, my stores were "The Data Domain" I'm working
      > on a web site of the same name but it is slow going, and a work in
      > progress so far.
      >

      > PIONEER PURVEYOR OF PERSONAL PROCESSING POWER

      Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

      *** Tell your friends about the Computer Collector Newsletter!
      - It's free and we'll never send spam or share your email address
      - Publishing every Monday(-ish), ask about writing for us
      - We're approaching 700 readers: win a prize!