Holiday Party

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
      Holiday Party Swappers:

      Hi - I am starting to run out of working non-IBM branded full height diskette drives.  I am therefore looking for these, any make or model will do, but Tandon's are preferred.  I am also running out of single sided 5 1/4" soft-sectored diskettes, but I prefer "new old stock" or barely used.

      If anyone is looking to trade (or sell) the above listed items, AND will be at the holiday party, then let me know what you're looking for in exchange.  Please it is not necessary to send me links for these items on Ebay or elsewhere.  If possible I always try to support people inside the hobby first.

      Update to what I am bringing:

      MAC SE's and related stuff (including an external scsi hard drive)
      Commodore Plus/4 for J Brace
      Burroughs L-7000 work station for MARCH
      PDP 11/05's I restored for MARCH

      I would like to try to get MARCH's DynaByte computer working if there is time, or I will take it home to fix.
      I will also be working with Evan and anyone who is interested in how to toggle in the music program into the Altair.

      Bill
    • Joe Giliberti

        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009

          can we get a demo of the 11/05 please? :)
          Yes. Bill worked on both of ours.  One runs great.  The other runs but has memory issues.
        • Joe Giliberti
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
            sounds like my grandmother

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
              Joe Giliberti wrote:
              can we get a demo of the 11/05 please? :)

              Sure, it's really nice.  Both work, but only one has a functioning core memory.  If anyone has a spare core (or newer memory) I can install it.  It has to be 11/05 short-height version compatible.  Maybe if we check around in the boxes there will be a spare core memory we can use.
              Bill
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2009
                B Degnan wrote:
                Hi - I am starting to run out of working non-IBM branded full height diskette drives.  I am therefore looking for these, any make or model will do, but Tandon's are preferred.

                One of the activities I had in mind for the upcoming workshops next year was to have a marathon session on repairing floppy drives, preferably the older ones for S-100 systems, since they are getting scarce, and both 5-1/4" and 8" drives. I have a few myself that need to get rebuilt, as I like to get a 3 or 4 disk system up and running sometime. So over the winter, I was going to prepare a checklist, test equipment, parts and tools to help streamline the process for a future vintage computer workshop.

                =Dan

                --
                http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/
                http://www.midatlanticretro.org/

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 3, 2009
                  Dan,

                  This is a great idea.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 31, 2012
                    A few public (and private) emails had led me to this -- let's just have our holiday party, but if people want to bring stuff to work on, that's fine too.

                    We'll collect $10 from all attendees. BUT, that money will go to InfoAge -- as it was supposed to last time -- somehow it wound up being spent on food.

                    The party weekend is potluck, except for Saturday night, when MARCH will cover burgers and stuff.

                    Please mark your calendars.