Now hold on a sec....

    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
      They claim IBM went to MSFT, not the other way around.

      I'll have to look up the literature on that one ..... Bill D.?
    • jaj@totallyamused.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
        I thought it was IBM went to MS, Gates suggested CP/M, the wife/business manager for Addell (sp) wouldn't sign and NDA and so MS went back to Gates? Or am I as accurate as the History Channel?

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...>
        Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 22:25:28 -0500
        To: Yahoo MARCH Yahoo<midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] Now hold on a sec....

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009

          I thought it was IBM went to MS, Gates suggested CP/M, the wife/business manager for Addell (sp) wouldn't sign and NDA and so MS went back to Gates? Or am I as accurate as the History Channel?
          I don't know.

          Herb would know.  But I'm not sure if he still reads our list.
        • Ray Sills
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
            According to Wikipedia's biography on Gates:

            "In 1980, IBM approached Microsoft to write the BASIC interpreter for
            its upcoming personal computer, the IBM PC. When IBM's
            representatives mentioned that they needed an operating system, Gates
            referred them to Digital Research (DRI), makers of the widely used CP/
            M operating system.[30] IBM's discussions with Digital Research went
            poorly, and they did not reach a licensing agreement. IBM
            representative Jack Sams mentioned the licensing difficulties during
            a subsequent meeting with Gates and told him to get an acceptable
            operating system. A few weeks later Gates proposed using 86-DOS
            (QDOS), an operating system similar to CP/M that Tim Paterson of
            Seattle Computer Products (SCP) had made for hardware similar to the
            PC. Microsoft made a deal with SCP to become the exclusive licensing
            agent, and later the full owner, of 86-DOS. After adapting the
            operating system for the PC, Microsoft delivered it to IBM as PC-DOS
            in exchange for a one-time fee of $50,000. Gates did not offer to
            transfer the copyright on the operating system, because he believed
            that other hardware vendors would clone IBM's system.[31] They did,
            and the sales of MS-DOS made Microsoft a major player in the industry.
            [32]"

            That might be the correct version, but if someone knows better, at
            least he can correct it.

            73 de Ray

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
              > According to Wikipedia's biography

              Sorry Ray. I stopped reading after, "According to Wikipedia"....
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                > They claim IBM went to MSFT, not the other way around.
                >
                > I'll have to look up the literature on that one ..... Bill D.?

                That supposedly this is true, after Killdall's team could not come to a
                deal with IBM to create a 16 bit version of CP/M, IBM went to Microsoft
                and they agreed to do it. Etc.
              • Jeffrey Brace
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2009
                  I have a really good biography on gates that might be able to answer it. They researched well, checking with multiple sources before accepting as fact. I would have to dig it up some time.