Re: [midatlanticretro] Bill Gates

    Message 1 of 47 , Dec 1, 2009
      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      Yes, we've got our issues with Bill Gates, but he's still part of
      computer history.  No, he's not speaking at VCF anytime soon.  But CNBC
      is showing an hour-long "Biography" special about him .... starting
      right now, if anyone wants to watch.

      I am a fan of Bill Gates and teach a class on Tiny BASIC vs. Micro-Soft and the implications, etc.  Interesting subject of study.

      Here is a link to Bill Gate's "Open Letter to Hobbyists" that I scanned from the People's Computer Company newsletter, for those who never read it.  I also included Jim Warren's response, and finally Bill Gate's "Second and Final Letter"
      http://vintagecomputer.net/cisc367/BillGatesOpenLetter.pdf

      This was a pain to convert to PDF because the newspaper is larger than 8 1/2" x 11.  The ..Dr Dobbs.. header you see in the PDF first appeared as an insert within the People's Computer Company newspaper.

      Bill

    • Jeffrey Brace
      Message 47 of 47 , Dec 3, 2009
        Wow I actually read that book. I got it for $2 from the Bank selling used books. A very good book. It goes into poor coding techniques and how there are better ways.  It covers all topics, from coding, to laws etc. I recommend it as well !