OT: Google Wave

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 29, 2009
      Someone gave me a Google Wave account. I don't quite understand what to
      do with it yet. Anyway, it came with eight invitations. Anybody want one?
    • ysgdhio
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 29, 2009
        > Someone gave me a Google Wave account.

        We were just discussing this on another list.
        Seems like a real-time wiki with cutesy plug-ins.
        Verdict: "meh"

        I'd rather try Google Voice.

        Andy
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 29, 2009
          >> Someone gave me a Google Wave account.
          >>
          > We were just discussing this on another list.
          > Seems like a real-time wiki with cutesy plug-ins.

          To me, it feels like a chatroom/newsgroup, except it's in real-time.
          Then they went and complicated it by adding a social networking angle.
          I think it would be much more successful if they had kept it narrow and
          just called it "Google Collaboration" then gradually added to it.
          > Verdict: "meh"

          I agree. I'll try it again someday after I hear about other people
          using it.
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 3, 2009
            Hint: It takes at least two to collaborate.

            Jim

            Evan Koblentz wrote:

            > Someone gave me a Google Wave account. I don't quite understand what to
            > do with it yet. Anyway, it came with eight invitations. Anybody want one?

          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 3, 2009
              I'll take one! What the hell is it?

              Evan Koblentz wrote:

              > Someone gave me a Google Wave account. I don't quite understand what to
              > do with it yet. Anyway, it came with eight invitations. Anybody want one?

            • Ray Sills
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 3, 2009
                I'm watching the Wave video... and it looks like its instant
                messaging on steroids, with lots of other features.
                It could be useful for MARCH... BTW.

                73 de Ray

                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 3, 2009
                  Joe (et al),

                  It's a solution in search of a problem.

                  You log in and it looks like an IM window. When you talk to other
                  people, you can see what they're typing in real-time.

                  Twist #1: many people can be in the session at the same time.

                  Twist #2: there's social networking element.

                  Twist #3: it does stuff other than chat.

                  So it's kind of like a chat room, merged with a collaboration tool,
                  merged with a social network, all in real-time.

                  Go ahead and try it. I'll send you an invitation. It takes a few
                  minutes for Google to process it though.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 3, 2009
                    Sent invitations just now to Joe G. and Ray.

                    I have six left.

                    But, all new members automatically get eight invitations to share with
                    other people. It's just like when Gmail was in beta.
                  • Jeffrey Frady
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 3, 2009
                      I already have an account.  I know someone with 30 more invites if needed.

                      --
                      See you space cowboy...
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 3, 2009
                        PS - What I like best about Wave is how the "spam" icon looks like a
                        little Space Invader.

                        What I dislike most about Wave is the latency between typing and the
                        text appearing on your screen. It's terrible.

                        > Sent invitations just now to Joe G. and Ray.
                        >
                        > I have six left.
                      • Joe Giliberti

                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 3, 2009
                            Evan Koblentz wrote:
                            > Joe (et al),
                            >
                            > It's a solution in search of a problem.
                            >
                            > You log in and it looks like an IM window. When you talk to other
                            > people, you can see what they're typing in real-time.

                            Been done before. Long long ago.
                            > Twist #1: many people can be in the session at the same time.

                            um. IRC?
                            > Twist #2: there's social networking element.

                            So it connects more bits together. Yay
                            > Twist #3: it does stuff other than chat.

                            What? So far this is WAY less then impressive. I really can't stand
                            stuff that repackage old things and then try to look all shiny and new
                            with their flashy graphics or other useless crap.
                            Your twists are unraveled.
                            > So it's kind of like a chat room, merged with a collaboration tool,
                            > merged with a social network, all in real-time.

                            So it's kinda like done before.
                            > Go ahead and try it. I'll send you an invitation. It takes a few
                            > minutes for Google to process it though.

                            um, no.

                            Cheers,

                            Bryan
                          • Bryan Pope
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 3, 2009
                              Evan Koblentz wrote:
                              > PS - What I like best about Wave is how the "spam" icon looks like a
                              > little Space Invader.
                              >
                              > What I dislike most about Wave is the latency between typing and the
                              > text appearing on your screen. It's terrible.

                              WOW. And in the other chat programs I uses MANY years ago there was
                              ZERO latency in text appearing on the screen. And this may have been
                              when I was still using dial up. This is an example of bloated software
                              that doesn't really give us anything.

                              Cheers,

                              Bryan
                            • Joe Giliberti
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 3, 2009
                                After looking it over, I see a Google lemon

                                On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@...> wrote:

                                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                > PS - What I like best about Wave is how the "spam" icon looks like a
                                > little Space Invader.
                                >
                                > What I dislike most about Wave is the latency between typing and the
                                > text appearing on your screen. It's terrible.

                                WOW. And in the other chat programs I uses MANY years ago there was
                                ZERO latency in text appearing on the screen. And this may have been
                                when I was still using dial up. This is an example of bloated software
                                that doesn't really give us anything.

                                Cheers,

                                Bryan

                              • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 4, 2009
                                  Jim Scheef <scheefj@...> writes:

                                  >Hint: It takes at least two to collaborate.
                                  >
                                  >Jim
                                  >
                                  >Evan Koblentz wrote: > > > Someone gave me a Google Wave account. I
                                  >don't quite understand what to > do with it yet. Anyway, it came with
                                  >eight invitations. Anybody want one? > >

                                  It appears to be yet another social networking site but with some inter-
                                  active features.

                                • Dan Roganti
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 4, 2009
                                    Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                                    Jim Scheef <scheefj@...> writes:

                                    Hint: It takes at least two to collaborate.

                                    Jim

                                    Evan Koblentz wrote: > > > Someone gave me a Google Wave account. I
                                    don't quite understand what to > do with it yet. Anyway, it came with
                                    eight invitations. Anybody want one? > >

                                    It appears to be yet another social networking site but with some inter-
                                    active features.

                                    It sounds too gimmicky to me.
                                    Did you see all the game addons for this, what kind of productivity tool is that ?
                                    Sounds like another Yahoo messenger.

                                    I'm starting to use PBWorks instead, it's an actual collaborative productivity tool to work on projects.
                                    They even have a Free acct version.
                                    There's always other free software like Google Wave here
                                    http://www.missiontolearn.com/2009/08/free-online-collaboration/

                                    If you want to communicate/collaborate in a group remotely, you can just as well use Google Talk(which includes video)
                                    I find this to be helpful for broadcasting and help people troubleshoot problems on their end.
                                    I've used IRC plenty before, but it make a big difference when you can see the problem with a webcam instead.
                                    You might want to promote this for MARCH on a individual, weekly or monthly basis.

                                    Another nice thing is having your Google Calendar sync with everyone to know about specific events, I use it to sync with places like Hack Pittsburgh, Robot club and others to stay on top of things. It takes two to tango - so you need someone to update your calender, but I find it helpful once you get it running.

                                    =Dan
                                    --
                                    http://home.comcast.net/~ragooman/

                                  • brian_cirulnick
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 4, 2009
                                      > Jim Scheef <scheefj@...> writes:
                                      >
                                      > >Hint: It takes at least two to collaborate.
                                      > >

                                      > >Evan Koblentz wrote: > > > Someone gave me a Google Wave account. I
                                      > >don't quite understand what to > do with it yet. Anyway, it came with
                                      > >eight invitations. Anybody want one? > >
                                      --------------------

                                      What a Google Wave account(s) would be good for, for MARCH:

                                      Creating Posters.

                                      Google wave allows multiple participants to work collabratively creating a document. I've seen you guys argue back and forth regarding documents like posters -- I believe Evan created some posters recently, and then had to go back and correct them.

                                      This allows you guys to work together to create those posters the way that makes everyone happy, the first time.

                                      Also, for the next VCF flyer, or any other documents created by the club, everyone can work on it together rather than someone making it, posting on his personal website, and then everyone chimes in here about how it can be improved.

                                      Google Wave could be good for MARCH, or we can just do things the old fashioned way... with stone knives and bear skins.
                                    • Mike Loewen
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 4, 2009
                                        On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, brian_cirulnick wrote:

                                        > Google Wave could be good for MARCH, or we can just do things the old
                                        > fashioned way... with stone knives and bear skins.

                                        If it was good enough for Spock, it's good enough for me. :-)

                                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                      • Christian Liendo
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 4, 2009
                                          Are you out of your Vulcan mind?

                                          I'm sorry I had to say that. You just soooo opened the door for me on that

                                          On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, brian_cirulnick wrote:

                                          > Google Wave could be good for MARCH, or we can just do things the old
                                          > fashioned way... with stone knives and bear skins.

                                          If it was good enough for Spock, it's good enough for me. :-)

                                          Mike Loewen mloewen@cpumagic. scol.pa.us
                                          Old Technology http://sturgeon. css.psu.edu/ ~mloewen/ Oldtech/

                                        • brian_cirulnick
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 4, 2009
                                            Edith Keeler MUST DIE.

                                            Yes, when I wrote that I was channeling Spock... Why else would I use the phrase "stone knives and bear skins"?

                                            Can't help it -- the other thread running here today is about a TRICORD file server... I keep thinking "tricorder".