LOL...

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 12, 2005
      I just realized, completely out of the blue, that we've forgotten about the
      supposedly monthly club IRC chats.

      So everyone should consider this message a friendly reminder that if you
      have any comments / questions / suggestions for MARCH's existence, please
      just speak up.

      Me, Andy, Bill Degnan, Jim Scheef, and John Allain -- the suckers who pilot
      this wacky ship -- have got bogged down in some of the boring details of
      getting our museum and a real web site started. We're making progress,
      albeit slowly. And we're also starting to plan some VCF East 3.0 details.
      On one hand, it's not for another seven months, but on the other hand, we'd
      rather over-plan and have it succeed than the opposite!

      More timely, we're strongly considering a "work day" for Saturday, Nov. 12
      at Infoage. This will be a day for us to start the serious cataloging /
      organizing of our computer collection, and also a chance for us to maybe
      work on some personal projects -- much as we all helped work on Bill D.'s
      IMSAI at the dedication event in August. Well, I didn't personally help,
      more like I got in the way. :) But you get the idea. And of course it's
      generally fun to see each other in person. List lurkers welcome!!! I
      really want to see some NEW faces this time.

      A suggestion: I urge everyone to bring at least ONE vintage computer or book
      or whatever to give away. Then everyone who comes can select a name
      randomly from a hat, and that person gets your giveaway item. That
      gaurantees that we all go home with something new. Quite likely we'll all
      go home with something different from what we normally collect, so this will
      be fun! Or if you don't really want what you win, then you can respectfully
      decline and give it to Joe G., who is our youngest (16), newest member and
      needs to start a collection with our help.

      - Evan

    • Sridhar Ayengar
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 12, 2005
        Evan wrote:
        > Me, Andy, Bill Degnan, Jim Scheef, and John Allain -- the suckers who pilot
        > this wacky ship -- have got bogged down in some of the boring details of
        > getting our museum and a real web site started. We're making progress,
        > albeit slowly. And we're also starting to plan some VCF East 3.0 details.
        > On one hand, it's not for another seven months, but on the other hand, we'd
        > rather over-plan and have it succeed than the opposite!

        I'm seriously considering exhibiting something somewhat humongous at
        VCFE 3.0. I'm just not sure what yet.

        > More timely, we're strongly considering a "work day" for Saturday, Nov. 12
        > at Infoage. This will be a day for us to start the serious cataloging /
        > organizing of our computer collection, and also a chance for us to maybe
        > work on some personal projects -- much as we all helped work on Bill D.'s
        > IMSAI at the dedication event in August. Well, I didn't personally help,
        > more like I got in the way. :) But you get the idea. And of course it's
        > generally fun to see each other in person. List lurkers welcome!!! I
        > really want to see some NEW faces this time.

        That's the day after my birthday. 8-)

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 14, 2005
          Another update... I spoke with Mark Dodel, who runs the annual Warpstock (OS/2) conventions (and who's on this list!)... he might be willing to bring us lots of vintage OS/2 items to basically give a home to between conventions.  He may be able to do this on Nov. 12 so he can meet us, see the facility, etc.

          I'd like to begin the Nov. 12 work day at 10 in the morning.

          If you can make it, PLEASE say so now.  Remember this will be a part work day (cataloging our collection, etc.), part social day, and an overall nerdy (but not Smurfy) good time.

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 14, 2005
            > If you can make it, PLEASE say so now.

            I would like to go for that day, yes.
            If we want to do swapping perhaps people should post want lists.
            Top of my list would be d|i|g|i|t|a|l, for starters.

            John A.
          • billdeg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 14, 2005
              John,
              We have a yahoo group database for items wanted and needed. Log into the
              yahoo group and then go to the database section. Locate MARCH Virtual Swap Meet.
              I believe anyone in the group can use this.
              Bill D

              In a message dated 10/14/2005 1:03:53 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              allain@... writes:

              > > If you can make it, PLEASE say so now.
              >
              > I would like to go for that day, yes.
              > If we want to do swapping perhaps people should post want lists.
              > Top of my list would be d|i|g|i|t|a|l, for starters.
              >
              > John A.
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 14, 2005
                John, keep in mind that our collection does have some DEC stuff.  You're welcome to become the caretaker of anything that you can learn from and/or help restore.

                That applies to everyone actually!  Of course the items remain MARCH property, or in the case of most our existing collection, Infoage property.  So we can work on these systems as long as we return them in as-good or better condition than we found them.

                allain@... writes:

                > > If you can
                make it, PLEASE say so now.

                >  I would like to go for
                that day, yes.
                >  If we want to do swapping perhaps people should
                post want lists.
                >  Top of  my list would be d|i|g|i|t|a|l, for
                starters.

                >  John A.
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 16, 2005
                  Okay, so far the people attending June 12 are:
                  Me (Evan)
                  John A.
                  Bill D.
                  John M. ("john-apw")
                  Mark D. (tentative)

                  Who else?

                  This will be a day to sort through our collection, catalog stuff, and HAVE FUN.  (Woohoo!)

                  I will bring some sticky labels so we can clearly define what belongs to InfoAge, MARCH, and individual members.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 17, 2005
                    madodel wrote:

                    > What kind of security can we expect there? Is the area where these items will
                    > be stored/displayed at least locked?
                    >
                    > Also how is the power there? Will we need power strips, surge protectors or
                    > extension cords?

                    These two are my concern as well.

                    Is there three-phase power?

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • Bob Grieb
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 17, 2005
                      Evan,

                      I may be able to help out on the 12th as well,
                      assuming that it is Nov and not June... :-)

                      I don't have any equipment to offer, but would
                      be happy to help catalog and get things organized.
                      I just finished "Engines of the Mind". Do I remember
                      correctly that we have a piece of ENIAC somewhere in
                      our collection? If so, that would be interesting to
                      look at.

                      Bob Grieb

                      --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                      > Okay, so far the people attending June 12 are:
                      > Me (Evan)
                      > John A.
                      > Bill D.
                      > John M. ("john-apw")
                      > Mark D. (tentative)
                      >
                      > Who else?
                      >
                      > This will be a day to sort through our collection, catalog stuff, and
                      > HAVE
                      > FUN. (Woohoo!)
                      >
                      > I will bring some sticky labels so we can clearly define what belongs
                      > InfoAge, MARCH, and individual members.
                      >
                      > Remember: we're all welcome to store parts of our personal
                      > collections at
                      > InfoAge. There is tons of room!! So if you have big stuff that your
                      > family
                      > complains about and which you don't access very often, then store it
                      > here.
                      >

                      > _____

                      =Field+trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99&
                      > .sig=WZ8tqwKinCI7p46-Ck--Bg> computer Field

                      +trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99&.sig=f
                      > aIMoKJT2FQzbqsbJZFJsA> trip Swap

                      trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99&.sig=-5
                      > 2Bmme3BkOCRm7_TpTuMQ> meet
                      > Computer

                      2=Field+trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99
                      > &.sig=uA3QPLlybCdZtpQLxdPxrg> security Computer

                      2=Field+trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99
                      > &.sig=Q_g6zf6pdAEsR9fV8ki73w> training
                      >
                      > _____
                      >
                      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                      >

                      > * Visit your group "midatlanticretro

                      > Service
                      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                      >

                      > _____

                      __________________________________
                      Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                      http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 17, 2005
                        The security is decent.  The place where we'll be on Nov. 12 is a temporary storage basement; our actual museum will be in not-yet-ready rooms on the main floor.  Part of the process of finishing the main rooms is to put locks on the doors, and only the Infoage administrator (Fred), me, and I guess other MARCHers over time will have keys.  Meanwhile, the whole building is locked tight when there isn't work happening, and the whole darn campus is guarded by the U.S. Army.

                        Having said that, I'm not sure if the storage basement locks seperately from the main area.  I will find out.  I do know this: it's not a very hospitable place for people to wander who don't belong down there, starting with the nuke fallout shelter signs, and continuing with the low ceiling on which multiple MARCHers have previously banged their heads.  Mine still hurts.  :)

                        Power-wise, there is no good news.  To my knowledge, the basement has no working power.  There is power directly upstairs and Infoage has long extension cords that we can borrow should we desire to power-up any systems.

                        > Okay, so far the people attending June 12
                        are:
                        > Me (Evan)
                        > John A.
                        > Bill D.
                        > John M.
                        ("john-apw")
                        > Mark D. (tentative)

                        > Who
                        else?

                        > This will be a day to sort through our collection,
                        catalog stuff, and
                        > HAVE FUN.  (Woohoo!)

                        will bring some sticky labels so we can clearly define what belongs to

                        InfoAge, MARCH, and individual members.

                        > Remember: we're
                        all welcome to store parts of our personal collections
                        > at
                        InfoAge.  There is tons of room!!  So if you have big stuff that your
                        > family complains about and which you don't access very often, then
                        store
                        > it here.

                        Evan,

                        What kind of security can we expect there?  Is the area where these items will
                        be stored/displayed at least locked?

                        Also how is the power there?  Will we need power strips, surge protectors or
                        extension cords?

                        I will try to bring as much as I can, but I think my wife will be working that
                        weekend so I may have to bring my 2 kids so there won't be enough room in my van
                        for everything I have.

                        Mark

                        --

                          From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                          Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005
                        http://www.warpstock.org
                          Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20 http://www.warpstock.net

                        http://www.os2voice.org

                           "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of
                        private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State
                        itself.   That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an
                        individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." Franklin Delano
                        Roosevelt, Message proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938
                      • Evan
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 17, 2005
                          We determined that it's probably part of a Univac, not ENIAC.  Mr. Grabbe, the donator, was confused and/or overly enthusiastic.

                          It's still nice to look at and hold.

                          --- Evan <evan947@...> wrote:

                          > Okay, so far the people attending
                          June 12 are:
                          > Me (Evan)
                          > John A.
                          > Bill D.
                          > John M.
                          ("john-apw")

                          /
                          > organizing of our computer collection, and also a chance for us
                          > maybe
                          > work on some personal projects -- much as we all helped
                          work on Bill
                          > D.'s
                          > IMSAI at the dedication event in August.
                          Well, I didn't personally
                          > help,
                          > more like I got in the
                          way.  :)   But you get the idea.  And of
                          > course
                          it's
                          > generally fun to see each other in person.  List lurkers
                          welcome!!!
                          > really want to see some NEW faces this
                          time.

                          > A suggestion: I urge everyone to bring at least ONE
                          vintage computer
                          > or book
                          > or whatever to give away.  Then
                          everyone who comes can select a name
                          > randomly from a hat, and that
                          person gets your giveaway item.  That
                          > gaurantees that we all go
                          home with something new.  Quite likely
                          > we'll all
                          > go home
                          with something different from what we normally collect, so
                          > this
                          will
                          > be fun!  Or if you don't really want what you win, then you
                          can
                          > respectfully
                          > decline and give it to Joe G., who is our
                          youngest (16), newest
                          > member and
                          > needs to start a collection
                          with our help.

                          homepage: http://www.snarc.net

                          href="http://news.computercollector.com">http://news.computercollector.com

                          > Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists & Museum:

                          Vintage

                          =Field+trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99&

                          .sig=WZ8tqwKinCI7p46-Ck--Bg> computer       Field

                          +trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99&.sig=f

                          aIMoKJT2FQzbqsbJZFJsA> trip       Swap

                          trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99&.sig=-5

                          2Bmme3BkOCRm7_TpTuMQ> meet

                          Computer

                          2=Field+trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99

                          &.sig=uA3QPLlybCdZtpQLxdPxrg> security       Computer

                          2=Field+trip&w3=Swap+meet&w4=Computer+security&w5=Computer+training&c=5&s=99

                          &.sig=Q_g6zf6pdAEsR9fV8ki73w> training

                          >   _____
                          >
                          > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                          *      Visit your group "midatlanticretro

                          > *      Your use
                          of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

                          __________________________________
                          Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                          http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
                        • madodel
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 17, 2005
                            Evan wrote:
                            > Okay, so far the people attending June 12 are:
                            > Me (Evan)
                            > John A.
                            > Bill D.
                            > John M. ("john-apw")
                            > Mark D. (tentative)
                            >
                            > Who else?
                            >
                            > This will be a day to sort through our collection, catalog stuff, and
                            > HAVE FUN. (Woohoo!)
                            >
                            > I will bring some sticky labels so we can clearly define what belongs to
                            > InfoAge, MARCH, and individual members.
                            >
                            > Remember: we're all welcome to store parts of our personal collections
                            > at InfoAge. There is tons of room!! So if you have big stuff that your
                            > family complains about and which you don't access very often, then store
                            > it here.

                            Evan,

                            What kind of security can we expect there? Is the area where these items will
                            be stored/displayed at least locked?

                            Also how is the power there? Will we need power strips, surge protectors or
                            extension cords?

                            I will try to bring as much as I can, but I think my wife will be working that
                            weekend so I may have to bring my 2 kids so there won't be enough room in my van
                            for everything I have.

                            Mark

                            --

                            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 17, 2005
                              Joe Giliberti wrote:
                              > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                              >
                              >> madodel wrote:
                              >>
                              >> > What kind of security can we expect there? Is the area where these
                              >> items will
                              >> > be stored/displayed at least locked?
                              >> >
                              >> > Also how is the power there? Will we need power strips, surge
                              >> protectors or
                              >> > extension cords?
                              >>
                              >> These two are my concern as well.
                              >>
                              >> Is there three-phase power?
                              >>
                              >> Peace... Sridhar
                              >>
                              > Why would three phase power be needed?

                              If I ever wanted to bring some of my hardware down for hackage.

                              A lot of it uses three-phase.

                              Peace... Sridhar
                            • Evan
                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 17, 2005
                                Sridhar, I think Joe is asking "What kind of hardware requires three-phase power?  Teach me something."

                                can we expect there?  Is the area where these
                                >> items
                                will
                                >> > be stored/displayed at least locked?
                                >> >
                                >> > Also how is the power there?  Will we need power
                                strips, surge
                                >> protectors or
                                >> > extension
                                cords?

                                >> These two are my concern as
                                well.

                                >> Is there three-phase
                                power?

                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 17, 2005
                                  Evan wrote:
                                  > Sridhar, I think Joe is asking "What kind of hardware requires
                                  > three-phase power? Teach me something."

                                  Ah. Sorry, Joe. I misunderstood.

                                  Mostly mainframes. Although I do have a VAX or two that requires
                                  three-phase.

                                  My ES/9021 has old-style bipolar-logic CPUs. Needs lots and lots of
                                  clean power. Rectified three-phase is much less pulsed than rectified
                                  full-wave single-phase, since the phases are only 120 degrees apart in
                                  three-phase, whereas they're 180 degrees apart in single-phase. If you
                                  want an oscilloscope graph, I could probably whip something up for you.

                                  Peace... Sridhar
                                • Sridhar Ayengar
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 17, 2005
                                    Joe Giliberti wrote:
                                    > Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> madodel wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >> > What kind of security can we expect there? Is the area where these
                                    >> items will
                                    >> > be stored/displayed at least locked?
                                    >> >
                                    >> > Also how is the power there? Will we need power strips, surge
                                    >> protectors or
                                    >> > extension cords?
                                    >>
                                    >> These two are my concern as well.
                                    >>
                                    >> Is there three-phase power?
                                    >>
                                    >> Peace... Sridhar
                                    >>
                                    > Why would three phase power be needed?

                                    By the way, you need to set your mail server's clock. It's about a
                                    month fast. 8-)

                                    Peace... Sridhar
                                  • john_apw
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 17, 2005
                                      Hi guys,

                                      On Sunday, I met John A. at Norm's house in Pearl River and picked
                                      up about 2/3 of what he is donating. I am not a Digital person, so I
                                      cannot completely report what everything is, and anticipate your
                                      help on the 12th in making a complete inventory...

                                      However, I can report that I delivered my carload to the InfoAge
                                      site today (my first visit there). This batch of stuff included a
                                      small, wheeled rack for the DEC components that John A. and I will
                                      bring on the 12th. It's about 2.5 feet wide, about 3 feet deep and
                                      about 3.5 feet high. Also a box of related cables.

                                      I also delivered a VT100 with keyboard and Diablo 600(?) printer, a
                                      Hazeltine Mod One "glass" TTY, and lots of manuals and
                                      documentation. Also a bunch of original cables all marked "Digital".
                                      Also a small monitor.

                                      Norm had previously gotten rid of various equipment that had stopped
                                      working, but everything he's dontated was recently in good working
                                      order. He has a PhD in High Pressure Fluid Chromatography (or
                                      something like that), and evidently there are a number of related
                                      programs and data stores that supported his work. He believes that,
                                      although the specialized chroma equipment is not included, we could
                                      still possibly run some of the programs with the data for a cool
                                      display for the public... He has also offered his services to help
                                      us get it up and running if we need it. A bunch of dox pertain to
                                      the chroma HW and SW, and might not be of value to systems
                                      operators, but will be of value in supporting this particular
                                      collection. Or, as a resource to be scanned and shared, or ...
                                      Also, 4 binders contain schematics for a lot of Digital units...

                                      There were one or two other items that I had removed from my car,
                                      which I will bring ont he 12th.

                                      As for the site, I took a tour of the first floor and basement, and
                                      have a few suggestions. In the basement, I saw 5 or 6 monitors
                                      sitting directly on the floor, and the floor was still pretty wet
                                      from the recent rains. A cardboard box of cables was completely
                                      soaked through. One or two de-humidifiers were running in various
                                      parts of the basement.

                                      There are four locations in the basement where I saw computer
                                      equipment, and I'm not sure which belongs to MARCH. There were two
                                      groups in the large basement room: one with the monitors on the
                                      floor, which were in the middle of a group of items on pallets, and
                                      which included a large blue-sheathed unit that I thought might have
                                      been core memory for a very old computer... The other was a large
                                      group of items in blue plastic "milk-cartons", and all in that group
                                      were on pallets and dry.

                                      Toward the gate-end of the basement were a few chairs with books and
                                      some kind of cartridges pretty much on chairs and otherwise
                                      unprotected.

                                      And in a small room at the far end were a few more pieces: a MAC, a
                                      pentium, a printer, and a few more items. This room was dusty but
                                      pretty dry. It has low cabinets with flat tops, so the items were
                                      well off the floor. This room also has some kind of old technology
                                      embossing and printing materials, a drill press (more acurately: a
                                      drill stand), and cabinets that were used to store all the keys for
                                      the base (keys are strewn everywhere...) I have no idea who that
                                      equipment belongs to.

                                      I spoke with the caretaker, Fred, and he directed me to unload in a
                                      room that is upstairs and away from the construction work, is a LOT
                                      cleaner and drier than the basement, and is actually one room of a 3-
                                      room suite. It even had a few pieces of furniture that I temporarily
                                      appropriated. I noticed a few standard duplex outlets for 120VAC,
                                      but I wasn't looking for anything else...

                                      The room I delivered to today was a LOT! nicer space (offices rather
                                      than basement). I think Fred did us a good turn with it.

                                      Anyway, in addition to the items mentioned by others (quotes below),
                                      I think that if more equipment is to be stored in the basement, we
                                      could use some more pallets or other platform structures that would
                                      keep things off the floor. A handtruck would help for moving things.
                                      Plastic sheets (drop cloths), tape, markers, lamps would also be of
                                      some use.

                                      If we can use more of the upstairs space, we should ask Fred if we
                                      could install a hasp and padlock on the doors of the upstairs rooms.
                                      Also, a few tables would be good.

                                      I have to run for now, but I will be back online tomorrow night.

                                      'Night all!

                                      -John Montenigro

                                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan" <evan947@y...> wrote:

                                      > The security is decent. The place where we'll be on Nov. 12 is a
                                      temporary
                                      > storage basement; our actual museum will be in not-yet-ready rooms
                                      on the
                                      > main floor. Part of the process of finishing the main rooms is to
                                      put locks
                                      > on the doors, and only the Infoage administrator (Fred), me, and I
                                      guess
                                      > other MARCHers over time will have keys. Meanwhile, the whole
                                      building is
                                      > locked tight when there isn't work happening, and the whole darn
                                      campus is
                                      > guarded by the U.S. Army.
                                      >
                                      > Having said that, I'm not sure if the storage basement locks
                                      seperately from
                                      > the main area.

                                      No, it does not. Anyone can walk down the stairs into the basement.

                                      I will find out. I do know this: it's not a very hospitable
                                      > place for people to wander who don't belong down there, starting
                                      with the
                                      > nuke fallout shelter signs, and continuing with the low ceiling on
                                      which
                                      > multiple MARCHers have previously banged their heads. Mine still
                                      hurts. :)

                                      > Power-wise, there is no good news. To my knowledge, the basement
                                      has no
                                      > working power.

                                      I could not find any working lights in the basement except for
                                      the "key room"...

                                      There is power directly upstairs and Infoage has long
                                      > extension cords that we can borrow should we desire to power-up
                                      any systems.

                                      I do not think the basement is the right environment to be running
                                      anything, let alone computers. If larger equiment requires special
                                      power and secure grounding, the basement is *not* equipped.

                                      > Good advice: BRING FLASHLIGHTS. Maybe hard-hats too. :)

                                      I **TOTALLY** AGREE!

                                      > > This will be a day to sort through our collection, catalog
                                      stuff, and HAVE FUN. (Woohoo!)

                                      I will volunteer to enter data on each piece of equipment into a
                                      database (I'll bring a modern laptop...), provided I have help in
                                      getting the information, and also in physically "tagging" the
                                      equipment with something like asset tags...

                                      > > I will bring some sticky labels so we can clearly define what
                                      belongs to
                                      > > InfoAge, MARCH, and individual members.

                                      Sticky labels may not stick well in higher humidity conditions,
                                      unless they are industrial-strength asset tags or string tags...

                                      > What kind of security can we expect there? Is the area where
                                      > these items will be stored/displayed at least locked?

                                      See Evan's earlier reply...

                                      Also, I think we should get permission to install hasps and padlocks
                                      on the upstairs doors, and consider moving things up from the
                                      basement. This should be checked with Fred, to check the
                                      construction plan and schedule for that space...

                                      > Also how is the power there?

                                      In the basement: fairly poor to pathetic...
                                      In the upstairs space: probably on the meager side, but probably
                                      passable to begin with.

                                      IMHO, wherever we wind up, we'll need better power to be provided.

                                      > > Will we need power strips, surge protectors or extension cords?

                                      Yes, yes, and yes!

                                      And if you want to power up anything in the basement, you'd better
                                      be wearing rubber-soled shoes!
                                    • Evan
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 17, 2005
                                        Excellent suggestions, John, and thanks for making the extra trip.

                                        This week, I'll ask Fred if we can "appropriate" more of that upstairs space.  Hopefully he'll let us move ALL of the Grabbe collection and our own stuff as well to the upstairs area, and then we can be done with the basement.  I certainly agree with the idea about putting a simple lock on those doors as well.  I'd be happy to drive to a nearby hardware store on the 12th to pick one up.

                                        I will bring labels and markers.  As stated before, people should also bring flashlights and extension cords, just in case.  Tall people, bring helmets!

                                        As for tables -- soon we'll have a real website (I mean it this time!) -- and then we can put a PayPal donations button there.  When we're ready, I'l urge everyone on this list to make a one-time donation of, say, $20.  Currently our budget is a mere $35.  But with the member donations process, we should get up to a few hundred dollars, fairly quickly.  Then we can actually DO stuff, mainly planning for VCF East 3.0 next spring.

                                        If anyone wants to donate materials instead, such as folding tables, that would also be greatly appreciated.  But hold off for a few more weeks please.  First, I'm going to see if Fred / Infoage can be persuaded to help with that.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 18, 2005
                                          John,

                                          I plan to purchase and bring (at least) one plastic shelving unit and a box
                                          or two of clear plastic leaf bags. I too have seen the basement and it's very
                                          important to stablize the items in that location asap. Nothing should ever be
                                          on the floor. There should be at least 6 inches space. Perhaps we should
                                          bring some new cardboard boxes, or even better plastic storage bins.

                                          The plastic shelves I am talking about are totally portable, and are packed
                                          into a "flat box the shape" like a table top. I use these for my collection of
                                          computers and will easily fit into the back of a hatchback car. You can get
                                          them at Lowes/Home Depot/Wallmart for about $25-40 each. I plan to bag and
                                          put the PDP8 and Intel memory units (those big blue things you referred to) on
                                          this shelf, I consider these to be the top priority. We also have that old HP
                                          unit to preserve.

                                          Note that getting into the basement is tough and only a pre-fab shelf can fit
                                          down the stairs (packed).

                                          In general I wish to have the items that are "more important" moved to the
                                          best locations. THings like ink jet printers from 1997 are not.

                                          Bill D
                                        • billdeg@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 18, 2005
                                            Even better, no basement!

                                            In a message dated 10/17/2005 11:00:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                                            evan947@... writes:

                                            > This week, I'll ask Fred if we can "appropriate" more of that upstairs
                                            > space. Hopefully he'll let us move ALL of the Grabbe collection and our
                                            own
                                            > stuff as well to the upstairs area, and then we can be done with the
                                            > basement. I certainly agree with the idea about putting a simple lock on
                                            > those doors as well. I'd be happy to drive to a nearby hardware store on
                                            > the 12th to pick one up.
                                          • John Allain
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 18, 2005
                                              Hi all -

                                              Norman's contributions to the museum are going to be great,
                                              based on my own experience it takes over 10 years of looking to
                                              find the equipment to make a setup like his, or massive eBay
                                              expenditures.

                                              I used to use plastic shelving and the units that I had looked alot like
                                              what is still offered at the front of the big hardware stores. For me
                                              they sagged enough to be a _potential_ problem. I didn't even put
                                              that much load on them, just magazines and they sagged. Things is,
                                              some computer equipment is really heavy. A few spare original IBM
                                              PC's can reach 100 pounds per square foot. What I switched to was
                                              the $60 metal "L beam" heavy duty shelves, also sold in those stores.
                                              They hold more for the money, and they hold it absolutely securely.
                                              Highly reccomended. These also flatten out into a single table sized
                                              box. Heavier but absolutely worth it.
                                              Gosh if we get things like real PDP8 or HP1000 CPUs I would
                                              definitely contribute for the serious racks.

                                              In places where flooding could be a problem (like my own basement too
                                              -- this can be a real let down) I am gravitating toward using double stacked
                                              pallettes (about 10" high) or better yet the $25 folding tables at Staples.
                                              They would get things over 2' off the ground, insurance for a pretty bad
                                              flood. If we Had to use that basement, that is.

                                              The DEC rack that John and I lifted is pretty presentable, I sure can see
                                              that upstairs. The two printing terminals that Norman donated have a large
                                              "cool" factor and would be perfect for the museum until a real Teletype or
                                              DecWriter can be found.

                                              John A.
                                            • Evan
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 18, 2005
                                                >>> Note that getting into the basement is tough and only a pre-fab shelf can fit
                                                down the stairs

                                                Bill, we can use the ramp / double-doors as well.

                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 18, 2005