Symbolics/Genera Users?

  • wheagy2000
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 22, 2009
      Hi,

      I saw some posts some time ago about Lisp Machine users. Are there are any Symbolics/Genera users lurking? I recently picked up a MacIvory running Genera 8.3. Fascinating machine and I'm slowly working through the documentation examples, but would be interested in emailing with others that are using Genera.

      Thanks...Win
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 22, 2009
        Hello! Looks like you're new to our group; please introduce yourself.
        Where do you live; what's your background in vintage computers; how did
        you hear about us?

        > Hi,
        >
        > I saw some posts some time ago about Lisp Machine users. Are there are
        > any Symbolics/Genera users lurking? I recently picked up a MacIvory
        > running Genera 8.3. Fascinating machine and I'm slowly working through
        > the documentation examples, but would be interested in emailing with
        > others that are using Genera.
        >
        > Thanks...Win

      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 23, 2009
          http://www.fanboy.com/2009/11/dec-pc-challenge-1982.html

          This is an promotional film produced by Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) documents their attempt to enter the PC market in 1982. DEC owned a major chunk of the mini-computer market and to their credit they got the idea that the PC was the wave of the future and they knew they had to compete.

        • wheagy2000
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 23, 2009
            Hi...sorry. I've been lurking for a bit and often forget whether I've posted somewhere before. I'm not really sure how I heard of your group. I live in Northern Virginia, near DC. I've been collecting vintage hardware for about 15 years. I'm partial to vintage robots -- I have each of the Heathkit models, but also collect computers, magazines, etc. Anything unusual or unique related to vintage computing. I post as much as I can on my site
            http://wheagy.com

          • evan@snarc.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 23, 2009
              Cool. I saw a lot of robotics info on your site; we have a few other members into that topic. Our club collection also includes a HERO.

              Hi...sorry. I've been lurking for a bit and often forget whether I've posted somewhere before. I'm not really sure how I heard of your group. I live in Northern Virginia, near DC. I've been collecting vintage hardware for about 15 years. I'm partial to vintage robots -- I have each of the Heathkit models, but also collect computers, magazines, etc. Anything unusual or unique related to vintage computing. I post as much as I can on my site
              http://wheagy.com

              Thanks...Win

              > Hello! Looks like you're new to our group; please introduce yourself.
              > Where do you live; what's your background in vintage computers; how did
              > you hear about us?
              >

              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > I saw some posts some time ago about Lisp Machine users. Are there are
              > > any Symbolics/Genera users lurking? I recently picked up a MacIvory
              > > running Genera 8.3. Fascinating machine and I'm slowly working through
              > > the documentation examples, but would be interested in emailing with
              > > others that are using Genera.
              > >
              > > Thanks...Win

            • RonK
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 23, 2009
                (((((((((I programmed on a Symbolics machine for a time ))))))))) :-)

                Ron

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "wheagy2000" <wheagy@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I saw some posts some time ago about Lisp Machine users. Are there are any Symbolics/Genera users lurking? I recently picked up a MacIvory running Genera 8.3. Fascinating machine and I'm slowly working through the documentation examples, but would be interested in emailing with others that are using Genera.
                >
                > Thanks...Win

              • jack99rubin
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 24, 2009
                  Yeth, I get it!
                  Happy Holidayth - thorry I can't make the party,
                  Jack

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "RonK" <rkushnier@...> wrote:

                  > (((((((((I programmed on a Symbolics machine for a time ))))))))) :-)

                  > Ron
                  >
                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "wheagy2000" <wheagy@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I saw some posts some time ago about Lisp Machine users. Are there are any Symbolics/Genera users lurking? I recently picked up a MacIvory running Genera 8.3. Fascinating machine and I'm slowly working through the documentation examples, but would be interested in emailing with others that are using Genera.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks...Win

                • Bob Applegate
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 25, 2009
                    Hopefully these aren't considered too new for the list; 1992 copyrights.

                    I've got three SMC ISA ethernet cards available, but I don't see a model number. Each has an AUI and BNC connector, so you can plug right into your coax Ethernet LAN or use a transceiver to plug into those newfangled twisted pair networks. I might have a couple transceivers to go along with them.

                    Anyway, whoever wants them can have them. I'd appreciate Paypal for whatever the shipping costs happen to be, which'll be under $10. I might be able to ship them from south Jersey later today or Friday. If nobody wants them, the garbage can has plenty of room.

                    Bob
                  • ysgdhio
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 25, 2009
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:
                      > I've got three SMC ISA ethernet cards available, but I don't see a model number.

                      Probably the "SMC Elite"; pretty popular 10Mb card.