Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: New member from Northern NJ

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 21, 2009
      On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, brian_cirulnick wrote:

      > I'm jumping into this a little late, but I'm searching for a SUN 3/80,
      > if anyone has one they'd like to part with -- I want to get the crap I
      > have on my 3/160 "running" again, but I don't want to have to pay the
      > electric bill to run the 3/160 24/7 -- that thing can heat my house for
      > the winter.

      I borrowed a 3/60 back in the day, and I also called it a "space
      heater".

      > My plan is to remove the drives, plop them into an external case, hook
      > up a 3/80, and run with it. Sure, I could use a 3/60 (and I have one),
      > but, it's slower and has less RAM than the 3/80. Besides, I'm pretty
      > sure I can get a 3/80 into my rack, but the 3/60 is too wide.

      I hadn't realized that the 3/80 could run binaries from a 3/60, but I
      see it can. You'll have to load up SunOS for the 3X kernel, but your apps
      should work. I briefly used a 3/80, but they were terribly slow compared
      to the SPARC processors.

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...