"vintage" computer on Bones, I'm going to vomit...

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 14, 2009
      If this was mentioned before, I don't care. This would be worthy of a second rant...

      They claimed it to be a "Commodore Amiga 1500, Motorola 6800 chipset." It actuality, it was a recent Apple LCD, an IBM PC or XT base, and a black painted A500 acting at the keyboard. Kickstart was displayed on a viewsonic monitor to the right, and on the apple monitor, but on top of OSX. The evidence they had, on a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk, was inserted into the IBM drive and started running on the "amiga" instantly...

      Joe
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 14, 2009
        Wild!

        On the other hand, if that brings back memories for people, who then visit our museum or the VCF, then I'll take it.

        If this was mentioned before, I don't care. This would be worthy of a second rant...

        They claimed it to be a "Commodore Amiga 1500, Motorola 6800 chipset." It actuality, it was a recent Apple LCD, an IBM PC or XT base, and a black painted A500 acting at the keyboard. Kickstart was displayed on a viewsonic monitor to the right, and on the apple monitor, but on top of OSX. The evidence they had, on a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk, was inserted into the IBM drive and started running on the "amiga" instantly...

        Joe
      • Jeffrey Brace
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 14, 2009
          I haven't seen that Bones episode yet, was it the one that appeared on Nov. 12 ? entitled "The Dwarf in the Dirt" ? I know a lot of shows use "creative license" to make things faster etc. Like in the move "the net" that mac was way faster than it really would be.

          I saw a computer on a recent episode of Fringe, but I couldn't tell you what it was. It definitely looked vintage, especially the characters being typed in monochrome on the screen. I would be curious to know what it is. Or it was a real vintage computer. Some sort of VT terminal ? It is the episode called: "Of Human Action" Season 2, episode 7 that aired on Nov. 12. It is at the end of the episode where the woman is typing on the computer

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 14, 2009
            This was an old episode on channel 9. "Boy in the Time Capsule"

            On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Timothy Fagan
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 14, 2009
              I just watched that episode of Fringe tonight, and that terminal definitely caught my nostalgiac eye. Of course, my first thought was "What the heck is Massive Dynamic doing using such outdated tech?!?!" LOL.

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 14, 2009
                Googled for the episode guide and found the whole episode online at http://www.cucirca.com/2009/01/23/bones-season-3-episode-7-boy-in-the-time-capsule/ .... relevant scene begins at the 18:25 mark.

                This was an old episode on channel 9. "Boy in the Time Capsule"
              • epsilonprocess
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 15, 2009

                  On Fringe, Nina Sharpe was typing a letter to Dr. William Bell on an Intertec Superbrain (or CompuStar or InterTube.)

                  Apparently in order to communicate with people in a parallel universe, you need vintage gear. A few episodes ago, one of the shape shifters demanded the use of a non-existent model Selectric typewriter. In this episode, a vintage Intertec machine.

                  http://home.prog.fm/brain1.png
                  http://home.prog.fm/brain2.png

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Timothy Fagan <timstergm@...> wrote:

                  > I just watched that episode of Fringe tonight, and that terminal definitely
                  > caught my nostalgiac eye. Of course, my first thought was "What the heck is
                  > Massive Dynamic doing using such outdated tech?!?!" LOL.
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPhone
                  >
                  > On Nov 14, 2009, at 11:08 PM, "Jeffrey Brace" ark72axow@... wrote:
                  >

                  > I haven't seen that Bones episode yet, was it the one that appeared on Nov.
                  > 12 ? entitled "The Dwarf in the Dirt" ? I know a lot of shows use "creative
                  > license" to make things faster etc. Like in the move "the net" that mac was
                  > way faster than it really would be.
                  >
                  > I saw a computer on a recent episode of Fringe, but I couldn't tell you what
                  > it was. It definitely looked vintage, especially the characters being typed
                  > in monochrome on the screen. I would be curious to know what it is. Or it
                  > was a real vintage computer. Some sort of VT terminal ? It is the episode
                  > called: "Of Human Action" Season 2, episode 7 that aired on Nov. 12. It is
                  > at the end of the episode where the woman is typing on the computer

                • Jeffrey Brace
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 15, 2009
                    Thank you for the discovery !  I haven't heard of that. I'm sure I would have recognized it if I had seen it before. I'm glad to know that it was definitely vintage gear.  I wasn't just guessing.

                    Jeff B