New member from Northern NJ

  • epsilonprocess
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009

      Hi all, been lurking for a while, so I thought I'd officially introduce myself. I've been on vintage-computers.com for a while and Evan recruited me onto here as well :)

      I started in computers sometime in the early 80's when my middle school first got TRS-80 Model III's. Bought my own VIC-20 in 1982, C64 in 1986.

      I started BBSing in 1984 and ran several boards, most notably in 1994, the Afterimage BBS, a large multi-line MajorBBS that turned into an ISP. I was featured briefly in Jason's BBS Documentary movie.

      In high school electronics class, someone donated an Altair 8800b turnkey and drive, which I promptly bought from my electronics teacher for $200 and kept safely stored. Unfortunately, the 8" floppy didn't work and I sent it to California to get fixed, but since I was a broke high school kid, I couldn't afford to get it fixed and let the repair place keep it. So now I'm searching for another one, hint hint :)

      So over the years I've started amassing various computers, and buying / salvaging a lot of stuff. Recently the vintage bug bit me again and I've been going on some more scavanger hunts and shopping sprees.

      Among my latest acqusitions are an Altos 886, DEC Professional 350, and this week I should be receiving a never-used Corvus Concept. I have several more hauls planned for the upcoming weekends.

      I'm planning to build a website to document my pieces, but for now a very basic list is available at:

      http://www.securix.net/retrotekvintagecomputers

      I've been to most of the TCF shows over the years, and went to VCF East this year, which, of course, made the vintage buying bug worse. Hope to maybe exhibit some of my stuff next year.

      Regards,
      Anthony

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2009
        On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, epsilonprocess wrote:

        > I'm planning to build a website to document my pieces, but for now a
        > very basic list is available at:
        >
        > http://www.securix.net/retrotekvintagecomputers

        Ah, another Sun afficionado. On the Sun front, I have:

        3/60
        IPC
        SPARCstation 2
        IPX
        SPARCclassic
        LX
        SPARCstation 10
        SPARCstation 20
        Ultra 2
        Ultra 10

        I was just down in the shop, working on my VAX 4000/300 (and watching
        the Steelers). I have OpenVMS 7.3 loaded, and now have the TCPWARE
        software copied and ready to install. As soon as I get it on my network,
        I'll be able to work on it remotely.

        I'm mostly a Unix guy, and VMS is different! Interesting, though.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 10, 2009
          Welcome Anthony.  Maybe we'll see you at the Holiday party next month.
          Bill Degnan
          vintagecomputer.net etc.

          epsilonprocess wrote:

          Hi all, been lurking for a while, so I thought I'd officially introduce myself. I've been on vintage-computers.com for a while and Evan recruited me onto here as well :)

          <snip>

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 10, 2009
            I had several IPXes and IPCs that I ebayed many years ago. Snagged them from a lab dumpster when I worked at AT&T Bell Labs Whippany.

            Actually that was part of a really huge haul, come to think of it. We emptied out our own lab and we threw out several large metal desks (one of which is supporting the computer I'm typing on right now) as well as several old tower computers and other now-vintage stuff. The admin who worked for our department had been with AT&T like 20 years. She got everything cleared with security, I rolled a U-Haul up to the loading dock, and out it all went. I think there was a really old large Sun box too, come to think of it, that I gave to an old friend of mine. I'm sure it's long gone :(

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 10, 2009
              One of our "someday" exhibits will be a homage to Bell Labs. In storage
              we have a couple of good-condition 3B2 machines, a Western Electric
              floor-standing tape drive, etc.

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 2009
                And the oral history from the woman who programmed the first transistor
                computer at Bell Labs (or anywhere) - if someone gets to her before she
                dies.

                Jim

                Evan Koblentz wrote:

                > One of our "someday" exhibits will be a homage to Bell Labs. In storage
                > we have a couple of good-condition 3B2 machines, a Western Electric
                > floor-standing tape drive, etc.

                > > I had several IPXes and IPCs that I ebayed many years ago. Snagged
                > them from a lab dumpster when I worked at AT&T Bell Labs Whippany.

              • brian_cirulnick
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 21, 2009

                  > On Tue, 10 Nov 2009, epsilonprocess wrote:
                  >
                  > > I'm planning to build a website to document my pieces, but for now a
                  > > very basic list is available at:
                  > >
                  > > http://www.securix.net/retrotekvintagecomputers
                  >
                  > Ah, another Sun afficionado. On the Sun front, I have:
                  >
                  > 3/60
                  > IPC
                  > SPARCstation 2
                  > IPX
                  > SPARCclassic
                  > LX
                  > SPARCstation 10
                  > SPARCstation 20
                  > Ultra 2
                  > Ultra 10

                  --------------------

                  I'm jumping into this a little late, but I'm searching for a SUN 3/80, if anyone has one they'd like to part with -- I want to get the crap I have on my 3/160 "running" again, but I don't want to have to pay the electric bill to run the 3/160 24/7 -- that thing can heat my house for the winter.

                  My plan is to remove the drives, plop them into an external case, hook up a 3/80, and run with it. Sure, I could use a 3/60 (and I have one), but, it's slower and has less RAM than the 3/80. Besides, I'm pretty sure I can get a 3/80 into my rack, but the 3/60 is too wide.

                  Thanks!
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 21, 2009
                    On Sat, 21 Nov 2009, brian_cirulnick wrote:

                    > I'm jumping into this a little late, but I'm searching for a SUN 3/80,
                    > if anyone has one they'd like to part with -- I want to get the crap I
                    > have on my 3/160 "running" again, but I don't want to have to pay the
                    > electric bill to run the 3/160 24/7 -- that thing can heat my house for
                    > the winter.

                    I borrowed a 3/60 back in the day, and I also called it a "space
                    heater".

                    > My plan is to remove the drives, plop them into an external case, hook
                    > up a 3/80, and run with it. Sure, I could use a 3/60 (and I have one),
                    > but, it's slower and has less RAM than the 3/80. Besides, I'm pretty
                    > sure I can get a 3/80 into my rack, but the 3/60 is too wide.

                    I hadn't realized that the 3/80 could run binaries from a 3/60, but I
                    see it can. You'll have to load up SunOS for the 3X kernel, but your apps
                    should work. I briefly used a 3/80, but they were terribly slow compared
                    to the SPARC processors.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...