MS/IBM DOS boot ROM Trivia Question

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
      I have a GRID laptop with a DOS 2 ROM boot chip built-in, and a Tandy 1000 HX
      with the same. Until recently I did not even know of any early DOS
      compatibles with DOS ROM chips, but now that I have two, I am starting to think that
      DOS ROM's could have been relatively a common feature of the mid 80's.

      So here is the trivia question: What was the first production PC with a
      MS/IBM DOS boot ROM installed (offered by manufacturer as standard equipment or an
      option)? I am guessing it would have been 1984 or 1985 because I am also
      guessing that it would have been a DOS 2.01 chip. I doubt that anyone made a DOS
      1 boot ROM. Obviously there were plenty of BASIC boot roms before 1984.

      Here is another trivia question - what is the last IBM system with a BASIC
      boot ROM?

      I have not yet looked up the answers (if they exist); can anyone get it right
      without looking up the answer first ?

      Bill D
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 7, 2005
        Im going to take a wild uneducated guess and say the
        Zenith Minisport was the first (totally a guess - not
        even aware if it had DiR). And as to the last puter
        with BASIC in rom - ummm, the IBM PS/1(s). Heres
        another question - did any non-IBM PCs have BASIC in
        rom? That is anything based on an 80x86.
        --- midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <billdeg@...>
        wrote:
        > I have a GRID laptop with a DOS 2 ROM boot chip
        built-in, and a Tandy 1000 HX
        > with the same. Until recently I did not even know
        of any early DOS
        > compatibles with DOS ROM chips, but now that I have
        two, I am starting to think that
        > DOS ROM's could have been relatively a common
        feature of the mid 80's.

        > So here is the trivia question: What was the first
        production PC with a
        > MS/IBM DOS boot ROM installed (offered by
        manufacturer as standard equipment or an
        > option)? I am guessing it would have been 1984 or
        1985 because I am also
        > guessing that it would have been a DOS 2.01 chip. I
        doubt that anyone made a DOS
        > 1 boot ROM. Obviously there were plenty of BASIC
        boot roms before 1984.

        > Here is another trivia question - what is the last
        IBM system with a BASIC
        > boot ROM?
        >
        > I have not yet looked up the answers (if they
        exist); can anyone get it right
        > without looking up the answer first ?
        >
        > Bill D

        __________________________________
        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 9, 2005
          billdeg@... wrote:

          > Here is another trivia question - what is the last IBM system with a BASIC
          > boot ROM?

          Without looking it up, I'd say probably the PC Server 500?

          Peace... Sridhar
        • billdeg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2005
            what year is that?
            bd

            In a message dated 10/10/2005 12:37:29 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            ploopster@... writes:

            > > Here is another trivia question - what is the last IBM system with a
            BASIC
            > > boot ROM?
            >
            > Without looking it up, I'd say probably the PC Server 500?
            >
            > Peace... Sridhar
          • Sridhar Ayengar
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 9, 2005
              billdeg@... wrote:
              > what year is that?

              I believe the announce date was 1995, and the release date was 1996, but
              I'm not 100%.

              Peace... Sridhar