I'm new here, but the "old" in my user name ain't kiddin"

  • olddataman2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2005
      Hello Group,
      Being an expatriate of Long Island I have to keep track of you
      people even though I live in Indiana now. I go back a ways in the
      ccomputer industry. I started in late 1956 and have been in love
      with two important things in my life. My wife Barbara of over 51
      years and computers in general. I started in the personal computer
      industry in 1975 when I attended the conference on standards for
      audio tape recording peripherals for personal computers. I opened my
      first store in Feb. 1976 and have been told it was the 12th or 13th
      store in the world, but I don't go that far. I just say it was one
      of the first dozen or so GOOD stores. You can read about me in Fire
      In The Valley which was co-auhored by Mike Swaine of Dr. Dobbs fame
      who worked for me as my software support person for a couple of
      years before moving to the coast to become famous. If you are
      familiar with the Osborne McGraw Hill book called something
      like "The CP/M User Guide" by Thom Hogan, you might be interested in
      the fact that the fink wrote in on my time when he held the software
      support position before MIke. I'm kidding of course , but I like to
      needle him every chance I get because he dedicated the book to
      anyone who was of any assistance, except me, and I intgroduced hime
      to Adam Osborne and he used my store demo Vector Graphics word
      processing system to write it!
      At the time I was also a VP of Ted Nelson"s "itty bitty machine
      co." I was dealer nr. 007 for Cromemco, nr. 8 for Processor Tech
      and nr. 10 for IMSAI, among others. A few months later I became one
      of the first two or three Apple dealers. Those were the days. We
      dodn't make much money but we worked so hard and fast, and had so
      much fun it didn't matter.
      So, Good Luck with MARCH and I'll throw my two cents worth in
      occasionaly, just to annoy you with my run-on sentences and typo
      errors.

      Warmest Regards
      Ray Borrill (olddataman2000)

      PS In caseyou wonder, my stores were "The Data Domain" I'm working
      on a web site of the same name but it is slow going, and a work in
      progress so far.

      PIONEER PURVEYOR OF PERSONAL PROCESSING POWER
    • evan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 18, 2005
        Ray,

        I always enjoy hearing from you. Thanks for checking out MARCH, the
        Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists. Give us a head-up if you ever visit
        out here.

        - Evan K.

        --- olddataman2000 <b.r.borrill@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group,
        > Being an expatriate of Long Island I have to keep track of you
        > people even though I live in Indiana now. I go back a ways in the
        > ccomputer industry. I started in late 1956 and have been in love
        > with two important things in my life. My wife Barbara of over 51
        > years and computers in general. I started in the personal computer
        > industry in 1975 when I attended the conference on standards for
        > audio tape recording peripherals for personal computers. I opened my
        > first store in Feb. 1976 and have been told it was the 12th or 13th
        > store in the world, but I don't go that far. I just say it was one
        > of the first dozen or so GOOD stores. You can read about me in Fire
        > In The Valley which was co-auhored by Mike Swaine of Dr. Dobbs fame
        > who worked for me as my software support person for a couple of
        > years before moving to the coast to become famous. If you are
        > familiar with the Osborne McGraw Hill book called something
        > like "The CP/M User Guide" by Thom Hogan, you might be interested in
        > the fact that the fink wrote in on my time when he held the software
        > support position before MIke. I'm kidding of course , but I like to
        > needle him every chance I get because he dedicated the book to
        > anyone who was of any assistance, except me, and I intgroduced hime
        > to Adam Osborne and he used my store demo Vector Graphics word
        > processing system to write it!
        > At the time I was also a VP of Ted Nelson"s "itty bitty machine
        > co." I was dealer nr. 007 for Cromemco, nr. 8 for Processor Tech
        > and nr. 10 for IMSAI, among others. A few months later I became one
        > of the first two or three Apple dealers. Those were the days. We
        > dodn't make much money but we worked so hard and fast, and had so
        > much fun it didn't matter.
        > So, Good Luck with MARCH and I'll throw my two cents worth in
        > occasionaly, just to annoy you with my run-on sentences and typo
        > errors.
        >
        > Warmest Regards
        > Ray Borrill (olddataman2000)
        >
        > PS In caseyou wonder, my stores were "The Data Domain" I'm working
        > on a web site of the same name but it is slow going, and a work in
        > progress so far.
        >

        > PIONEER PURVEYOR OF PERSONAL PROCESSING POWER

        Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

        *** Tell your friends about the Computer Collector Newsletter!
        - It's free and we'll never send spam or share your email address
        - Publishing every Monday(-ish), ask about writing for us
        - We're approaching 700 readers: win a prize!