Re: [midatlanticretro] Google challenge ...

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
      Bio: "A.S. Retting is a graduate of the College of the City of New York (BEE) and of the University of Pa. (MSEE). From 1950 to 1954, at Ratheon Mfg. Co., Mr. Retting participated in and was responsible for several digital design and development projects. From 1954 to 1955, Mr. Retting was a senior engineer at Computer Control Co. and was responsible for the maintenance of the RAYDAC computer at Point Mugu, California and for the system integration and installation of additional peripheral equipment and internal memory capacity. Since 1955 he has been active in several major RCA electronic data processing projects, including logic design and development of the File Control Unit of the RCA 501; system and logic design of the Communication Data Processor, a major element of the ComLogNet switching center. He has had project responsibility for the MICROPAC and MICRORAC computer programs. He is a member of Eta Kappa Nu, Tau Beta Pi, IRE, PGEC, and ACM. He has co-authored several papers and he filed patents for computer logic design techniques and diode-gating circuitry."

      I checked with Ted Hurewitz (VCF East 6 keynoter, from RCA) and he didn't know.

        What were this person's areas of specialty? Does he has a title, such as Dr?

      This challenge will require being more creative than ACM/IEEE papers.  I'm telling you, they all just say "A.S. Rettig."

    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009

        You should be able to retrieve his name from his engineering fraternity, Eta Kappa Nu
        There is a contact person on that webpage for Univ. of Penn
        http://hkn.org/admin/chapter.asp?ch=138
        or, from the City College of New York
        http://hkn.org/admin/chapter.asp?ch=20

        =Dan

        Evan Koblentz wrote:
[...]

      • Barry L. Kline
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
          Evan Koblentz wrote:

          > Maybe. Everything I found so far says "A.S." Retting.

          This sounds like the M*A*S*H episode where Hawkeye was trying to find
          out what the B.J. was for B.J. Hunnicut. Turns out, it was B.J.

          Perhaps this may end up being one of those.

          Barry
        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
            Bill Dromgoole <drummy@...> wrote :

            > It cites Arthur S. Rettig of Haddonfield N.J. as one of the inventors.

            I can ask some of the older RCA guys to see if anyone knows of him. Lots of RCA guys live(d) in Haddonfield and they seem to have remained pretty tight.

            Bob

            ___________________________________
            NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
          • Bill Dromgoole
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
              There was a patent issued to RCA in December 1966 (Filed in March of 1961) on an
              information handling system.
              It cites Arthur S. Rettig of Haddonfield N.J. as one of the inventors.

              http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3290654.pdf

              Haddonfield is an upscale community very near to Camden NJ.
              This could be your A.S. Rettig

              billdrom

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                Ding ding ding! I think we have a winner.

                Although it says "Albert" not "Arthur" .... did you misread that?

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                  Yahoo says my reply, below, was the 15,000th message in the MARCH group.

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                    Yes, apparently so.

                    Sorry.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                      Please note Evans correction.
                      It is Albert S. Rettig not Arthur.

                      billdrom
                      > It cites Arthur S. Rettig of Haddonfield N.J. as one of the inventors.

                      I can ask some of the older RCA guys to see if anyone knows of him. Lots of RCA
                      guys live(d) in Haddonfield and they seem to have remained pretty tight.

                      Bob
                    • Bill Degnan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                        As most of you probably know Arthur, Alberts brother, played tuba with the
                        British prog. band Genesis in the early 1970's.

                        > > It cites Arthur S. Rettig of Haddonfield N.J. as one of the inventors.
                        >
                        > I can ask some of the older RCA guys to see if anyone knows of him. Lots
                        of RCA
                        > guys live(d) in Haddonfield and they seem to have remained pretty tight.
                        >
                        > Bob

                      • Barry L. Kline
                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                          Bill Degnan wrote:
                          > As most of you probably know Arthur, Alberts brother, played tuba with the
                          > British prog. band Genesis in the early 1970's.

                          You're a sick puppy Bill.

                          Barry
                        • Jeffrey Brace
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                            Fantastic !  do you win a prize ?  Like the one in all those spam ad's "you are the 1,000,000th visitor you have won a prize, click here!".

                            Seriously, it's great the group is so active and there are many people contributing and discussing etc. The more active, the more healthy the group.

                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                              Indeed!  It's been five full years, so I guess we're doing something right.  :)

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 7, 2009
                                That's a good episode. BJ's mother is Bea and his father is Jay.

                                Jim