Google challenge ...

    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
      I need assistance with some computer history research. There was a
      person at RCA in the 1950s/1960s who is credited on several ACM / IEEE
      papers, etc., as "A.S. Rettig" .... I need to figure out what the A.S.
      stood for, and I need proof. Lil' help anyone?
    • Joe Giliberti

        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
          Maybe.  Everything I found so far says "A.S." Retting.

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
            This challenge will require being more creative than ACM/IEEE papers.  I'm telling you, they all just say "A.S. Rettig."

            so do you have access to the pdf docs on acm web site ?  I tried reading the pdf, but I need an acm or sig account.

          Message 5 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
            What were this person's areas of specialty? Does he has a title, such as Dr?

            Message 6 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
              Bio: "A.S. Retting is a graduate of the College of the City of New York (BEE) and of the University of Pa. (MSEE). From 1950 to 1954, at Ratheon Mfg. Co., Mr. Retting participated in and was responsible for several digital design and development projects. From 1954 to 1955, Mr. Retting was a senior engineer at Computer Control Co. and was responsible for the maintenance of the RAYDAC computer at Point Mugu, California and for the system integration and installation of additional peripheral equipment and internal memory capacity. Since 1955 he has been active in several major RCA electronic data processing projects, including logic design and development of the File Control Unit of the RCA 501; system and logic design of the Communication Data Processor, a major element of the ComLogNet switching center. He has had project responsibility for the MICROPAC and MICRORAC computer programs. He is a member of Eta Kappa Nu, Tau Beta Pi, IRE, PGEC, and ACM. He has co-authored several papers and he filed patents for computer logic design techniques and diode-gating circuitry."

              I checked with Ted Hurewitz (VCF East 6 keynoter, from RCA) and he didn't know.

                What were this person's areas of specialty? Does he has a title, such as Dr?

              This challenge will require being more creative than ACM/IEEE papers.  I'm telling you, they all just say "A.S. Rettig."

            • Dan Roganti
              Message 7 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009

                You should be able to retrieve his name from his engineering fraternity, Eta Kappa Nu
                There is a contact person on that webpage for Univ. of Penn
                http://hkn.org/admin/chapter.asp?ch=138
                or, from the City College of New York
                http://hkn.org/admin/chapter.asp?ch=20

                =Dan

                Evan Koblentz wrote:
[...]

              • Barry L. Kline
                Message 8 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                  Evan Koblentz wrote:

                  > Maybe. Everything I found so far says "A.S." Retting.

                  This sounds like the M*A*S*H episode where Hawkeye was trying to find
                  out what the B.J. was for B.J. Hunnicut. Turns out, it was B.J.

                  Perhaps this may end up being one of those.

                  Barry
                • Bob Applegate
                  Message 9 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                    Bill Dromgoole <drummy@...> wrote :

                    > It cites Arthur S. Rettig of Haddonfield N.J. as one of the inventors.

                    I can ask some of the older RCA guys to see if anyone knows of him. Lots of RCA guys live(d) in Haddonfield and they seem to have remained pretty tight.

                    Bob

                    ___________________________________
                    NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                  • Bill Dromgoole
                    Message 10 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                      There was a patent issued to RCA in December 1966 (Filed in March of 1961) on an
                      information handling system.
                      It cites Arthur S. Rettig of Haddonfield N.J. as one of the inventors.

                      http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3290654.pdf

                      Haddonfield is an upscale community very near to Camden NJ.
                      This could be your A.S. Rettig

                      billdrom

                      Message 11 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                        Ding ding ding! I think we have a winner.

                        Although it says "Albert" not "Arthur" .... did you misread that?

                        Message 12 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                          Yahoo says my reply, below, was the 15,000th message in the MARCH group.

                          > Ding ding ding! I think we have a winner.
                          >
                          > Although it says "Albert" not "Arthur" .... did you misread that?
                        • Jeffrey Brace
                          Message 13 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009

                            Message 14 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                              Yes, apparently so.

                              Sorry.

                              Message 15 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                                Please note Evans correction.
                                It is Albert S. Rettig not Arthur.

                                billdrom
                                > It cites Arthur S. Rettig of Haddonfield N.J. as one of the inventors.

                                I can ask some of the older RCA guys to see if anyone knows of him. Lots of RCA
                                guys live(d) in Haddonfield and they seem to have remained pretty tight.

                                Bob
                              • Bill Degnan
                                Message 16 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                                  As most of you probably know Arthur, Alberts brother, played tuba with the
                                  British prog. band Genesis in the early 1970's.

                                  > > It cites Arthur S. Rettig of Haddonfield N.J. as one of the inventors.
                                  >
                                  > I can ask some of the older RCA guys to see if anyone knows of him. Lots
                                  of RCA
                                  > guys live(d) in Haddonfield and they seem to have remained pretty tight.
                                  >
                                  > Bob

                                • Barry L. Kline
                                  Message 17 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                                    Bill Degnan wrote:
                                    > As most of you probably know Arthur, Alberts brother, played tuba with the
                                    > British prog. band Genesis in the early 1970's.

                                    You're a sick puppy Bill.

                                    Barry
                                  • Jeffrey Brace
                                    Message 18 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                                      Fantastic !  do you win a prize ?  Like the one in all those spam ad's "you are the 1,000,000th visitor you have won a prize, click here!".

                                      Seriously, it's great the group is so active and there are many people contributing and discussing etc. The more active, the more healthy the group.

                                      Message 19 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                                        Indeed!  It's been five full years, so I guess we're doing something right.  :)

                                        Message 20 of 20 , Nov 7, 2009
                                          That's a good episode. BJ's mother is Bea and his father is Jay.

                                          Jim