TCF 2010 + MARCH

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
      Hi all,

      Got an email today from Al Katz, re: next year's Trenton event (April
      24-25). He wrote, "As 2010 is our 35th year, we are also seeking talks
      that deal with the history of PCs and their impact on society."

      That caught my eye, so I called him for more information. He clearly
      explained that they're NOT doing anything competitive to MARCH/VCF, but
      they'd certainly like our help.

      So the question is this: How, other than our regular demo booth, can we
      creatively emphasize computer history at Trenton -- without
      cannibalizing our own event? (I'm somewhat terrified that the public
      will say, "I just saw vintage computers in April, why should I go to
      another event in September?")

      Al added that if we go beyond our usual demo, then he'll advertise our
      museum in the Trenton show proceedings, which could be very helpful for
      us and InfoAge.

      Unrelated -- this year's Trenton keynote speaker is RMS.
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
        I politely disagree with Evan's point that exposure at this event will
        take away from VCF. I wish to open a debate on the subject, politely
        and with thoughtful consideration.

        My points:
        1) Advertising is all about repetition. I am a businessman and I think
        in terms of marketing.

        2) How many exhibitors at VCF do you think we'll get from TCF?

        3) Are we in this group ever tired of this stuff? Why would other
        like-minded people not want to see more?

        4) Who in this group saw the vintage computer exhibit at the Smithsonian
        and said, that's enough for me for at least one year. "I refuse to look
        at vintage computers now for one year." doesn't make sense to me.

        5) I have a practically ready-made presentation that involves TCF on my
        web site with original pictures, etc. I have a lot more info as well.

        Respectfully,

        Bill

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
          > I politely disagree with Evan's point that exposure at this event will
          > take away from VCF
          I said I'm concerned that it * could *. Yes, I'm probably
          over-reacting. Just trying to protect MARCH and VCF East. Overall, I
          think the more exposure for our hobby, the better.
          > How many exhibitors at VCF do you think we'll get from TCF?

          Beats me. My goal is more attendees.
          > Who in this group saw the vintage computer exhibit at the Smithsonian
          > and said, that's enough for me for at least one year.
          I don't think that is fair. TCF / VCF are close in proximity and have a
          similar-sounding name. I'm mildly concerned that people might get
          confused, etc.
          > I have a practically ready-made presentation that involves TCF on my
          > web site with original pictures, etc. I have a lot more info as well
          You do indeed have some great research on the history of user groups in
          our area. That could be a perfect talk at Trenton. But I wanted you to
          offer it; I didn't want to volunteer you. :)
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
            Evan Koblentz wrote:
[...]

            How about if we keep all exhibits and presentations focused only on TCF-related computer history and we stay tightly on topic then?  That way we will emphasize "TCF" apart from VCF.  We don't have any TCF-related exhibits at InfoAge, is this just a coincidence?

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
              > We don't have any TCF-related exhibits at InfoAge, is this just a
              > coincidence?
              Yes, but that will soon change. TCF is one of many things we can
              spotlight in the "local history" poster exhibit, which will go in our
              hallway, instead of taking up exhibit room space.
            • Dan Roganti
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 4, 2009
                Evan Koblentz wrote:
                We don't have any TCF-related exhibits at InfoAge, is this just a
                coincidence?

                Yes, but that will soon change.  TCF is one of many things we can
                spotlight in the "local history" poster exhibit, which will go in our
                hallway, instead of taking up exhibit room space.

                One thing that always helps is having several of the old photographs from the early TCF days made into posters for the exhibit.
                Include some captions at the bottom or the side, people like to see who was there.
                Somewhere on the TCF website I remember seeing several old photos of the early days, some even with David Ahl and Steve Ciarcia.
                You might want to ask them about this, it seems they changed all the links on when they update their website.

                =Dan
              • Christian Liendo
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 6, 2009
                  Sorry to be late on this

                  #1. I agree with Bill, I got to vintage car shows all over NJ/PA and I see the same guys. If you like vintage computers/cars, you go to all the shows to see the ONE computer/car that was not in the other shows.

                  #2. If we wish to feature TCF in the museum, can get the guys from TCF to donate original things like the original guides, flyers or pictures to put in the museum.

                  #3. Bring videos of VCF, we should have a laptop running the video of past VCFs to help promote that show as well.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 7, 2009
                    I agree 100% with Bill and Christian. With VCF and TCF 5 months apart I
                    see no way for TCF to cannibalize our event.

                    Jim