Re: OT: Mounting a USB drive in DOS

  • mejeep_ferret
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009
      > I'm trying to get access to a CD via an external drive...in DOS

      Oy, I remember configuring autoexec.bat and config.sys just for the CD driver to link to MSCDEX (layer that converts CD ISO 9660 format to DOS file system), now you need another layer on that for USB. It's probably possible to do it all natively, but perhaps you ought to consider a server/client model such as using a Linux server to handle all the file types and NFS (network file system) to the DOS machine. I've seen NFS for DOS for many years.
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
        Joe,

        First you need a DOS driver for the USB chip and BIOS that allow USB
        "legacy" access.

        Jim

        Joe Giliberti wrote:

        > I'm trying to get access to a CD via an external drive...in DOS. Is
        > there a way I can augment a boot floppy to have USB support?
        >
        > Joe

      • Bob Schwier
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
          I would expect the freedos project to have such drivers.
          bs

          Joe Giliberti wrote:

          > I'm trying to get access to a CD via an external drive...in DOS. Is
          > there a way I can augment a boot floppy to have USB support?
          >
          > Joe

        • UnwiredBen
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
            See http://www.freedos.org/freedos/news/newsitem/149.html for info on a Panasonic DOS drive that allows accessing USB mass storage devices.

            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@...> wrote:

            > I would expect the freedos project to have such drivers.
            > bs
          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
              That worked! Thanks!