RE: [midatlanticretro] OT: Mounting a USB drive in DOS

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009
      Actually I did not read that it was a usb drive. Nevermind/ignore last message

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009
        > I'm trying to get access to a CD via an external drive...in DOS

        Oy, I remember configuring autoexec.bat and config.sys just for the CD driver to link to MSCDEX (layer that converts CD ISO 9660 format to DOS file system), now you need another layer on that for USB. It's probably possible to do it all natively, but perhaps you ought to consider a server/client model such as using a Linux server to handle all the file types and NFS (network file system) to the DOS machine. I've seen NFS for DOS for many years.
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
          Joe,

          First you need a DOS driver for the USB chip and BIOS that allow USB
          "legacy" access.

          Jim

          Joe Giliberti wrote:

          > I'm trying to get access to a CD via an external drive...in DOS. Is
          > there a way I can augment a boot floppy to have USB support?
          >
          > Joe

        • Bob Schwier
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
            I would expect the freedos project to have such drivers.
            bs

            Joe Giliberti wrote:

            > I'm trying to get access to a CD via an external drive...in DOS. Is
            > there a way I can augment a boot floppy to have USB support?
            >
            > Joe

          • UnwiredBen
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
              See http://www.freedos.org/freedos/news/newsitem/149.html for info on a Panasonic DOS drive that allows accessing USB mass storage devices.

              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@...> wrote:

              > I would expect the freedos project to have such drivers.
              > bs
            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
                That worked! Thanks!