RE: [midatlanticretro] OT: Mounting a USB drive in DOS

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009
      Yes. I am at the WSeries at the moment, but tomorrow I can send you a boot image that includes cd support. Or..look for oak technologies cd rom support on the interwebs

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009
        Actually I did not read that it was a usb drive. Nevermind/ignore last message

        Yes. I am at the WSeries at the moment, but tomorrow I can send you a boot image that includes cd support. Or..look for oak technologies cd rom support on the interwebs

        I'm trying to get access to a CD via an external drive...in DOS. Is there a way I can augment a boot floppy to have USB support?

        Joe

      • mejeep_ferret
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 31, 2009
          > I'm trying to get access to a CD via an external drive...in DOS

          Oy, I remember configuring autoexec.bat and config.sys just for the CD driver to link to MSCDEX (layer that converts CD ISO 9660 format to DOS file system), now you need another layer on that for USB. It's probably possible to do it all natively, but perhaps you ought to consider a server/client model such as using a Linux server to handle all the file types and NFS (network file system) to the DOS machine. I've seen NFS for DOS for many years.
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 1, 2009
            Joe,

            First you need a DOS driver for the USB chip and BIOS that allow USB
            "legacy" access.

            Jim

            Joe Giliberti wrote:

            > I'm trying to get access to a CD via an external drive...in DOS. Is
            > there a way I can augment a boot floppy to have USB support?
            >
            > Joe

          • Bob Schwier
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
              I would expect the freedos project to have such drivers.
              bs

              Joe Giliberti wrote:

              > I'm trying to get access to a CD via an external drive...in DOS. Is
              > there a way I can augment a boot floppy to have USB support?
              >
              > Joe

            • UnwiredBen
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
                See http://www.freedos.org/freedos/news/newsitem/149.html for info on a Panasonic DOS drive that allows accessing USB mass storage devices.

                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Schwier <schwepes2002@...> wrote:

                > I would expect the freedos project to have such drivers.
                > bs
              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
                  That worked! Thanks!