MARCH visitor today

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2009
      Dave McGuire visited our museum all the way from Florida today. Sridhar
      joined us.

      Dave drove a large box truck with a lift gate, and he swung by Delaware
      to rescue the Burroughs L-7000 for us. Another part of the L-7000 still
      needs rescuing; Dave says he may help again in a few days from now.
      Otherwise, the second part can be disassembled and moved in a smaller
      vehicle some other time.

      He said the previous owner is a 90-something-year-old woman who is the *
      original * owner and who used the computer to run her jewelry business
      for many years. Supposedly there are some documents, etc. that she's
      going to look for and give to us as well.

      Being a DEC fan, Dave loved our PDP-8. Even took some pictures for him,
      posing with it .... nor had he ever seen an Altair 8800 in person, so of
      course we demonstrated that.

      A fun evening.
    • Joe Giliberti

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 21, 2009
          Museum Room 5.

          Where in the complex is the machine at this point?
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 23, 2009
            Evan,

            It would be good to get a history from the original owner. How did she
            decide to buy that particular machine? What was used for? How was it
            supported and maintained over the years? Who did the programming? Etc.,
            etc. A good history would add a lot to the significance of the machine.
            I wonder if she has any pictures of the machine as it was installed.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 23, 2009
              At some point soon I will stop by to get the info. If I understand
              correctly this is her 2nd computer. She had an IBM something or another
              before the Burroughs. Hard to believe.
              Bill