Pretty much OT: need a part for a digital (brand) laptop

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 18, 2009
      I have an early 90's digital laptop I recently picked up. The ribbon cable between the base and monitor is severed. Anyone know of someplace I can get a replacement?

      Joe
    • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 19, 2009
        >I have an early 90's digital laptop I recently picked up. The ribbon cable
        >between the base and monitor is severed. Anyone know of someplace I can get
        >a replacement?

        Make and model would help.

      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 19, 2009
          HiNote VP

          On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- <VAXman@...> wrote:

          >I have an early 90's digital laptop I recently picked up. The ribbon cable
          >between the base and monitor is severed. Anyone know of someplace I can get
          >a replacement?

          Make and model would help.

        • Bill Degnan
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 19, 2009
            They only had one or two laptops in the early 90's. The form factor would
            have been similar to the GRiD 1720. I remember Digital had a lttle laptop
            that I evaluated while working at ICI in the early 90's. We did not buy
            any, they were nice but they did not seem rugged enough for the sales reps
            ithey were intended for. That must have been one of their last products
            before being bought out by Compaq. Likely it's just a standard 286 laptop
            IBM format clone I 'reccon, unlikely to be a 3/486. If it's not
            functional, start with the power supply, make sure you're feeding the
            correct power to the system before you do anything. With a little
            checking, you should be able to determine what the correct power should be,
            probably between 14-19v

            Bill

            > >I have an early 90's digital laptop I recently picked up. The ribbon
            cable
            > >between the base and monitor is severed. Anyone know of someplace I can
            get
            > >a replacement?
            >
            > Make and model would help.

          • Joe Giliberti
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 19, 2009
              I didn't want to mention it, but is uses a Pentium 166MHz processor :x. The computer functions when connected to an external monitor. The ribbon cable that goes between the LCD and the base is torn.

              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 19, 2009
                >I didn't want to mention it, but is uses a Pentium 166MHz processor :x. The
                >computer functions when connected to an external monitor. The ribbon cable
                >that goes between the LCD and the base is torn.

                Did I miss it? Make and model?

              • joprysko1
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 19, 2009
                  There is a company IEC who can make custom cables, I suppose it is possible if you have the defective/damaged cable that they would be able to make you a replacement. It may cost a bit more than finding someone who has one, but they have been making cables for computers for like 28 years, they either have or can make many cables for the old Apples, Atari's, etc. If they don't have it made, they will make it. If you see a cable similar to what you need on their site, but you need a different pin-out, they will custom make it for you, and end up charging like $5 more for the custom pinout. Although if they don't have a similar cable, well, I have no idea about what they might charge, but at least it's an option. Their website is http://iec.net the guy I have worked with there's e-mail is joe(deletethis)@...

                  Thanks,

                  Joe O.

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...> wrote:

                  > I have an early 90's digital laptop I recently picked up. The ribbon cable
                  > between the base and monitor is severed. Anyone know of someplace I can get
                  > a replacement?
                  >
                  > Joe

                • Bill Dromgoole
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 19, 2009
                    Why not try splicing the cable?

                    A little shrink tubing and care with a soldering iron and you are back in business.
                    It may not be pretty but shouldn't be that hard to do.

                    At least you will know if the LCD is functional.
                    Then get a new cable if you still want one.

                    Are there connectors on both ends? If not you may need to solder it anyway.

                    billdrom

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 19, 2009
                      Joe,

                      You can probably buy the connectors at DigiKey or salvage the old
                      connectors and make your own. How many conductors? I may have
                      appropriate ribbon cable I can send you.

                      Jim

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 23, 2009
                        >Why not try splicing the cable?
                        >
                        >A little shrink tubing and care with a soldering iron and you are back in b=
                        >usiness.
                        >It may not be pretty but shouldn't be that hard to do.
                        >
                        >At least you will know if the LCD is functional.
                        >Then get a new cable if you still want one.
                        >=20
                        >Are there connectors on both ends? If not you may need to solder it anyway.

                        Why not disclose which make and model?

                        I may, somewhere in my vast stores of d|i|g|i|t|a|l kit, documentation and
                        sundry DEC paraphernalia, have the cable needed.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 23, 2009
                          Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
                          Why not try splicing the cable?

                          A little shrink tubing and care with a soldering iron and you are back in b=
                          usiness.
                          It may not be pretty but shouldn't be that hard to do.

                          At least you will know if the LCD is functional.
                          Then get a new cable if you still want one.
                          =20
                          Are there connectors on both ends? If not you may need to solder it anyway.

                          Why not disclose which make and model?

                          I may, somewhere in my vast stores of d|i|g|i|t|a|l kit, documentation and
                          sundry DEC paraphernalia, have the cable needed.

                          This cable, which I believe you're saying is one of those delicate flat connectors between the display or keyboard and the CPU - impossible to reconstruct yourself.
                        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 23, 2009
                            B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:

                            >This cable, which I believe you're saying is one of those delicate flat
                            >connectors between the display or keyboard and the CPU - impossible to
                            >reconstruct yourself.

                            I give up!

                            I'm trying to offer the part but it's apparent that it isn't wanted.
                            Have fun making your own or trying to...

                          • brian_cirulnick
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 23, 2009
                              > B Degnan <billdeg@...> writes:
                              >
                              > >This cable, which I believe you're saying is one of those delicate flat
                              > >connectors between the display or keyboard and the CPU - impossible to
                              > >reconstruct yourself.
                              ----------------

                              Not impossible... just damn difficult. You need to scrape away at the plastic covering and then *carefully* solder very thin wires to "reconstruct" the ribbon cable. Magnifying glass needed.

                              While I've never done it for a laptop, my Vanagon's dashboard is a giant plastic ribbon cable connecting all the various bits together, and that's been falling apart (and soldered back together) since I got it. And I have a short in there someplace because when I turn on my headlights, the Tachometer stops working.

                              I'll get around to fixing that after the Beetle project is completed.
                            • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 23, 2009
                                OK. I have a display cable for a d|i|g|i|t|a|l HiNote VP. Model numbers:
                                TS30H/VP745/VP765. I put the cable on the bed scanner and made this image
                                of it:

                                http://www.tmesis.org/images/HiNote.jpg

                                If this is, or looks like, the cable you need, send me your postal address
                                and I will put it in a secure envelope and snail mail it to you.

                                Put "[PASS:VAXman]" (exactly as shown) in the email subject. It's a SPAM-
                                filter passkey. I don't want your email rejected if you want this cable.

                              • Joe Giliberti