Re: [midatlanticretro] commodore 16 anyone?

  • Ray Sills
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 11, 2009
      Hi Jeff:

      I donated a C-16 (albeit a non-functioning C-16) in the hope that
      someone would get it perking. I believe I included the power pact,
      which was quite compact compared to other Commodore power packs. IIRC
      correctly, the voltage output was fairly high.. like 18V or something
      like that. But, I'd do further research before trying an un-official
      power pack.

      Hopefully, the C-16 and it's power pack are in the Info-Age basement
      somewhere.

      73 de Ray

    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 11, 2009
        >>> Hopefully, the C-16 and it's power pack are in the Info-Age basement somewhere.

        We have it.

        I donated a C-16 (albeit a non-functioning C-16) in the hope that
        someone would get it perking. I believe I included the power pact,
        which was quite compact compared to other Commodore power packs. IIRC
        correctly, the voltage output was fairly high.. like 18V or something
        like that. But, I'd do further research before trying an un-official
        power pack.

        Hopefully, the C-16 and it's power pack are in the Info-Age basement
        somewhere.

        73 de Ray

        On Oct 11, 2009, at 7:29 PM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

        > Too bad I missed this e-mail until now. Anyway I have three
        > commodore 16, but no power supply for them to test them. Still
        > trying to figure out some sort of alternate power supply. I'm
        > having difficulty finding information on the exact voltage and
        > amperage for the power supply.

      • Ray Sills
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 11, 2009
          HI Jeff:

          OK... I guess I confused the wattage with the voltage. :) Plug
          polarity is the most important issue, as you know.

          73 de Ray

          On Oct 11, 2009, at 8:28 PM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

          > I e-mailed a guy on e-bay who is selling one. He has the power
          > supply. He said:
          >
          > Input 117V-60Hz 16W
          > Output 9.5V

        • Jeffrey Brace
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 11, 2009
            ok. my mom got one of those for her CD player. I will figure out which connector and test her power supply. So I will set the switch to 9 volts. thanks !

            Too bad I missed this e-mail until now.  Anyway I have three commodore 16, but no power supply for them to test them. Still trying to figure out some sort of alternate power supply.  I'm having difficulty finding information on the exact voltage and amperage for the power supply.

            very easy...just use a 9volt DC.  All you need to find is the correct connector plus a RadioShak 9v supply (or one of those adjustable wall worts.)

            Bill

          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 11, 2009
              I e-mailed a guy on e-bay who is selling one. He has the power supply. He said:

              Input 117V-60Hz 16W
              Output 9.5V

              >>> Hopefully, the C-16 and it's power pack are in the Info-Age basement somewhere.

              We have it.

              I donated a C-16 (albeit a non-functioning C-16) in the hope that
              someone would get it perking. I believe I included the power pact,
              which was quite compact compared to other Commodore power packs. IIRC
              correctly, the voltage output was fairly high.. like 18V or something
              like that. But, I'd do further research before trying an un-official
              power pack.

              Hopefully, the C-16 and it's power pack are in the Info-Age basement
              somewhere.

              73 de Ray

              On Oct 11, 2009, at 7:29 PM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

              > Too bad I missed this e-mail until now. Anyway I have three
              > commodore 16, but no power supply for them to test them. Still
              > trying to figure out some sort of alternate power supply. I'm
              > having difficulty finding information on the exact voltage and
              > amperage for the power supply.

            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 11, 2009
                just voltage. red lead to one of pins on the supply connector, and black lead to ground. whichever has voltage is +

                On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 5:58 AM, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

                Ray,

                No I don't know. How do I check polarity ?  Is that one of the symbols on the power supply ?

              • Jeffrey Brace
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 11, 2009
                  Ray,

                  No I don't know. How do I check polarity ?  Is that one of the symbols on the power supply ?

                  Jeff
                  OK... I guess I confused the wattage with the voltage. :) Plug
                  polarity is the most important issue, as you know.

                  73 de Ray

                  On Oct 11, 2009, at 8:28 PM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

                  > I e-mailed a guy on e-bay who is selling one. He has the power
                  > supply. He said:
                  >
                  > Input 117V-60Hz 16W
                  > Output 9.5V

                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 12, 2009
                    How to check polarity

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AC_adaptor_polarity.png

                    No I don't know. How do I check polarity ?  Is that one of the symbols on the power supply ?

                    Jeff
                    OK... I guess I confused the wattage with the voltage. :) Plug
                    polarity is the most important issue, as you know.

                    73 de Ray

                    On Oct 11, 2009, at 8:28 PM, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

                    > I e-mailed a guy on e-bay who is selling one. He has the power
                    > supply. He said:
                    >
                    > Input 117V-60Hz 16W
                    > Output 9.5V

                  • Ray Sills
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 12, 2009
                      That is an excellent reference, Chris

                      There almost always is no forgiveness for a polarity reversal
                      accident. Sometimes, electronic gear will have a "protection" diode
                      as part of the device's design.. meaning that if the power is
                      connected "backwards"... the diode will not conduct, and no juice gets
                      into the device, saving the device and preventing you uttering words
                      you'd not like little children to hear you say.

                      But, most devices do not have such protection. It costs more to make
                      them when they add a protection diode.. maybe as much as 10¢. :)

                      The best designed gear has all the power circuits -inside- the device,
                      and the power brick is an AC transformer. No possible way to get it
                      wrong.

                      73 de Ray

                      On Oct 12, 2009, at 9:06 AM, Christian Liendo wrote:

                      > How to check polarity
                      >
                      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AC_adaptor_polarity.png

                    • Bob Schwier
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 12, 2009
                        In addition to the Roland plotter mentioned above are a Commodore C2N
                        tape player and a 1541 Floppy Reader.
                        bs
                        .

                        .