Re: TRS-80 Model 100 on CraigsList

  • BobShuster
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2009
      Well, I called on my way there (almost halfway there) and the guy told me had already sold it. That sucks - we had a verbal agreement and set a time and date for me to pick it up. Beware craigslist deals...

      I wasn't really looking for a Model 100, but the price looked too good to pass up. I guess it was. :(

      - Bob

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "BobShuster" <bob@...> wrote:

      > Hey - thanks to whomever mentioned that TRS-80 Model 100 they saw on Craigslist a week or so ago. I'm headed off to pick it up this afternoon. Looks cherry! (Nice with the case too.)
      > - Bob

    • joprysko1
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 8, 2009
        Hey Bob,

        Sorry about that, I had actually e-mailed the guy the day he put it up on CL, and we set a deal too. But he told me that the unit didn't work. That it had been working until he did a reset on the unit then it wouldn't turn back on, and that was the reason he was selling it.

        I figured it might be a nice project machine to try to get back up and running or something like that. Plus, considering it has something that I haven't seen in god, almost 25 years, an acoustic coupler for the modem.

        I had called him back, and he told me that he had an agreement to sell it to someone else. So I don't know what is going on with that guy. I wonder if I was competing with you for it, or if it was like "Well, whoever gets here first gets the machine." So, if it wasn't me and wasn't you, I guess some other craigslist lurker got it.

        Well, I would rather have a fully functional one regardless.

        Although most craigslist people are usually pretty reliable, but again, it is no ebay with buyer protection or anything like that.

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "BobShuster" <bob@...> wrote:

        > Well, I called on my way there (almost halfway there) and the guy told me had already sold it. That sucks - we had a verbal agreement and set a time and date for me to pick it up. Beware craigslist deals...
        >
        > I wasn't really looking for a Model 100, but the price looked too good to pass up. I guess it was. :(
        >
        > - Bob
        >
        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "BobShuster" <bob@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey - thanks to whomever mentioned that TRS-80 Model 100 they saw on Craigslist a week or so ago. I'm headed off to pick it up this afternoon. Looks cherry! (Nice with the case too.)
        > > - Bob

      • Bill Degnan
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 8, 2009
          so...What is your name, joprysko1? Is this your ad?
          http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sys/1394933949.html

          I have some parts units available if you're interested in taking a trip to
          Wilmington to review them.

          Bill

          > Sorry about that, I had actually e-mailed the guy the day he put it up on
          CL, and we set a deal too. But he told me that the unit didn't work. That
          it had been working until he did a reset on the unit then it wouldn't turn
          back on, and that was the reason he was selling it.

          > I figured it might be a nice project machine to try to get back up and
          running or something like that. Plus, considering it has something that I
          haven't seen in god, almost 25 years, an acoustic coupler for the modem.

          > I had called him back, and he told me that he had an agreement to sell it
          to someone else. So I don't know what is going on with that guy. I wonder
          if I was competing with you for it, or if it was like "Well, whoever gets
          here first gets the machine." So, if it wasn't me and wasn't you, I guess
          some other craigslist lurker got it.

          > Well, I would rather have a fully functional one regardless.
          >
          > Although most craigslist people are usually pretty reliable, but again,
          it is no ebay with buyer protection or anything like that.

          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "BobShuster" <bob@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Well, I called on my way there (almost halfway there) and the guy told
          me had already sold it. That sucks - we had a verbal agreement and set a
          time and date for me to pick it up. Beware craigslist deals...

          > > I wasn't really looking for a Model 100, but the price looked too good
          to pass up. I guess it was. :(

          > > - Bob
          > >
          > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "BobShuster" <bob@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hey - thanks to whomever mentioned that TRS-80 Model 100 they saw on
          Craigslist a week or so ago. I'm headed off to pick it up this afternoon.
          Looks cherry! (Nice with the case too.)
          > > > - Bob

        • joprysko1
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 9, 2009
            Yes, that is my ad. :)

            I am busy this weekend with VGXPO, I should be working in the Vintage Game room/museum if they scheduled me correctly.

            Sounds good, we will talk about it soon.

            Joe

            > so...What is your name, joprysko1? Is this your ad?
            > http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/sys/1394933949.html
            >
            > I have some parts units available if you're interested in taking a trip to
            > Wilmington to review them.
            >
            > Bill

          • Dan Roganti
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 9, 2009

              oh man, I wish I could go to VGXPO
              they have RetroCon - it;s huge !

              RETRO CON

              Retro Con is a classic games and collectors expo hosted at VGXPO and presented by J2Games. Retro Con will occupy two 5,000 sq foot ballrooms, including areas with vendors selling vintage games and collectables, a museum with exhibits showcasing game systems from the 70's, 80's and 90's, an art gallery featuring box and concept art, magazine covers and classic advertisements, and a special program track which will feature industry luminaries speaking about the history of gaming.

              =Dan

              joprysko1 wrote:
              Yes, that is my ad. :)

              I am busy this weekend with VGXPO, I should be working in the Vintage Game room/museum if they scheduled me correctly.

              Sounds good, we will talk about it soon.

            • Ray Sills
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 9, 2009
                Hi Bob:

                Sorry to hear of your plight. The seller is in a town right next to
                me. I emailed him (presumably the seller is male) and got a couple of
                One of them indicated that the 100 was not showing a proper screen...
                although supposedly it -had- worked OK a short while ago. I said I
                was interested, gave my phone number, but never got a phone response.

                Yes.. the price was good. I'd buy just for the pictured accessories.
                So, although I said I'd buy it, I never saw it in person. If the
                seller considers me to be that buyer, I'll still get it, but offer it
                to you.

                I have not had any email contact with the seller in the past several
                days. I think the last email was the past Sunday. Don't know for
                sure, since that was from my home in PA, and I am now in my GA home.
                I'll be back in PA in about a week.

                FYI... I don't -need- a Model 100 (I have a 102), but as you said...
                the price was good. Certainly worth getting for MARCH.

                73 de Ray

                On Oct 8, 2009, at 1:23 PM, BobShuster wrote:

                > Well, I called on my way there (almost halfway there) and the guy
                > told me had already sold it. That sucks - we had a verbal agreement
                > and set a time and date for me to pick it up. Beware craigslist
                > deals...
                >
                > I wasn't really looking for a Model 100, but the price looked too
                > good to pass up. I guess it was. :(
                >
                > - Bob
                >
                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "BobShuster" <bob@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> Hey - thanks to whomever mentioned that TRS-80 Model 100 they saw
                >> on Craigslist a week or so ago. I'm headed off to pick it up this
                >> afternoon. Looks cherry! (Nice with the case too.)
                >> - Bob

              • joprysko1
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 9, 2009
                  Hmm.. maybe I should try calling him back to see if *I* am the supposed buyer, since there were several people apparently interested in it, he may have gotten confused as to who was who.