Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Vacuum Repair

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
      Fuse?

      Does anyone have any resources for diagnosing and repairing vacuum cleaners ?  I have a Bissell that was less than a year old and it suddenly didn't work. No power when plugged in. I know most of you don't live near me so I don't think recommending a good repair guy would work.

      I'm assuming the motor went, but don't have any idea how to check it.
    • Bryan Pope
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
        And if the motor went, then I think there would be a telltale burning
        type smell coming from the motor.

        Try searching for the model # online. You may be able to find a service
        manual or someplace with info on it.

        Cheers,

        Bryan

        Evan Koblentz wrote:

        > Fuse?

        >> Does anyone have any resources for diagnosing and repairing vacuum
        >> cleaners ? I have a Bissell that was less than a year old and it
        >> suddenly didn't work. No power when plugged in. I know most of you
        >> don't live near me so I don't think recommending a good repair guy
        >> would work.
        >>
        >> I'm assuming the motor went, but don't have any idea how to check it.
      • Joe Giliberti
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
          Does the machine have any electronic controls?

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
            Talk to Steve @ Infoage, he is very good with this stuff.

            I do have the model number and I found only a user guide online. It only told me about making sure where I plugging in had power and that's it. I called the company if I had checked if the outlet had power and then they asked if the cord was frayed. I said yes, (but I know that isn't the problem since it has been working for months with electrical tape wrapped around). They said take it to an authorized dealer and bring the receipt (assuming it is less than one year). Not much help. Wish I knew a way to tell if it was the motor and not the cord.

            Someone who usually doesn't do the vacuuming at work used it, and I suspect he his a part of carpet and burned out the motor and didn't tell anyone.

            It could still be under warranty, but my boss is terrible about keeping receipts, so I will have to most likely get it repaired and he's a cheapskate.  I took it apart (except for the motor) and didn't see anything that could help.  If he does find a receipt, then I have to take it to an authorized Bissell dealer and the closest one is in Red Bank, which isn't too far away. But I would hope that I could find a place for free diagnosis. If it was too much, then I would just buy a new one.
          • Jeffrey Brace
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009

                Evan Koblentz wrote:

                > Fuse?
                >
                > ------------ --------- --------- --------- ------
                >> Does anyone have any resources for diagnosing and repairing vacuum
                >> cleaners ? I have a Bissell that was less than a year old and it
                >> suddenly didn't work. No power when plugged in. I know most of you
                >> don't live near me so I don't think recommending a good repair guy
                >> would work.
                >>
                >> I'm assuming the motor went, but don't have any idea how to check it.

              • Dan Roganti
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
                  Jeffrey Brace wrote:
                  Does anyone have any resources for diagnosing and repairing vacuum cleaners ?  I have a Bissell that was less than a year old and it suddenly didn't work. No power when plugged in. I know most of you don't live near me so I don't think recommending a good repair guy would work.

                  I'm assuming the motor went, but don't have any idea how to check it.

                  I'm not sure which model you might have there, but I've noticed that there are many models being made now that use a DC motor with a motor control circuit in there that usually goes bad. I've had one before with the same problem and just chucked the vacuum and kept the the motor for parts :) You can see inside when you take apart the scrubber at the bottom, if the motor is no bigger that the size of your fist, using a short belt to the scrubber, then it's probably a DC controlled motor. You can hook 12V to it to see if it still spins which would indicate that the motor control circuit board is blown.

                  =Dan
                • RonK
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
                    Make sure the outlet you are using is not controlled by a light switch. That one got me once. DUH! :-)

                    Ron K

                    > Does anyone have any resources for diagnosing and repairing vacuum cleaners ? I have a Bissell that was less than a year old and it suddenly didn't work. No power when plugged in. I know most of you don't live near me so I don't think recommending a good repair guy would work.
                    >
                    > I'm assuming the motor went, but don't have any idea how to check it.

                  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
                      Maybe you have a Micro$oft vac?

                      "The first time Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck,
                      it will be when they start making vacuum cleaners." --- no
                      specific attribuition known.

                    • Bob Schwier
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
                        Have you tried taking the thing apart and cleaning it?
                        bs

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 8, 2009
                          Jeff,

                          First, I impressed that anyone on this list is HAS a vacuum cleaner,
                          second that they are concerned when it doesn't work, and third that they
                          admit it!

                          Given that you have "repaired" the cord in the past, the cord would be
                          the obvious suspect. Disconnect the cord from the unit (you do not need
                          to remove it) and test it for continuity. There is no short or you would
                          have blown the house fuse/breaker. Once you know if the cord is the
                          problem, you can proceed with all the other suggestions.

                          Jim