Coleco Adam..

  • joprysko1
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
      I just picked up a Coleco Adam, and was wondering if anyone around here happens to have some spare data-packs/programs for the Adam.

      The 2 issues I see with it have to do with the printer, one, the ribbon is dried out.. the other is that the rubber coating on the platen is all cracked and peeling off. I don't know if there is anything that can be done about that.

      Thanks,

      Joe
    • Andrew Molloy
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
        On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 8:48 PM, joprysko1 <joprysko1@...> wrote:

        > I just picked up a Coleco Adam, and was wondering if anyone around here happens to have some spare data-packs/programs for the Adam.
        >
        > The 2 issues I see with it have to do with the printer, one, the ribbon is dried out.. the other is that the rubber coating on the platen is all cracked and peeling off. I don't know if there is anything that can be done about that.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Joe

        Joe, I have a spare Buck Rogers data-pack that I can send you. I
        haven't been able to verify that it works because the tape drive in my
        Adam is screwy.

        I'm not sure what to do about the platen or ribbon, but this page says
        they have ribbons for $14:

        http://ann.hollowdreams.com/adamsupplies.html

        Andy
      • joprysko1
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
          I have talked to one guy in Canada who has several adams including a dead printer, with a good platen, trying to find out how much he would want for the platen and the cost to ship here to Philly.

          As for the Buck Rogers, I definitely could use it. Right now, I don't have any software at all for my Adam, it does have 2 tape drives in it.

          What is the problem you are having with your drive though, because there is this one list-serv I belong to that goes out to just Adam fans, I know I have seen messages on various methods of repairing the tape drives depending on the issue. You may want to try using a regular head cleaner (Just have to drill 2 small holes so it will mount in the Adam drive.

          A number of the people on that list-serv are from Canada, and have been developing new games for the ColecoVision/Adam systems, so they are a wealth of knowledge for tech specs for the Adam.

          We as a group may want to consider for the next VCF East, maybe try inviting some of those members, maybe have a couple of Adam's on display/in use/etc. Well, who knows.. I know that a lot of them also have been having an Adam Convention for the past 21 years.. LOL Most of the times it has apparently been in Niagara Falls, although it has been in different cities thoughout the years.

          Akk, I am rambling again..I tend to have a hard time sticking to one topic. But yes, I would love to have that copy of Buck Rogers. I will e-mail you off-group.

          Thanks,

          Joe O.

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009
            > because there is this one list-serv I belong to that goes out to just Adam fans
            I'm pretty sure Andy is already ingrained in Adam-ville. :)

            > We as a group may want to consider for the next VCF East, maybe try inviting some of those members, maybe have a couple of Adam's on display/in use/etc.

            This year we targeted a lot of newsgroups and Facebook groups; we need
            to do better at other mailing lists, etc. ... although I know several
            MARCHins already post about us and VCF at other lists they belong to.

            But your statement gives me an idea: maybe next year we can arrange
            mini-meetings for specific subjects.

            Right now I'm still in VCF cool-down mode. :)
          • Jim Kalin
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2009

              If the platen can be easily removed from the printer Ames Supply Company can resurface the platen.  Here is their link http://www.amessupply.com/roller1.cfm.

              The ribbon is either a Diablo or Ricoh ribbon and is available at OfficeMax, Office Depot, Staples, and Quill Corporation.

              Jim

              I have talked to one guy in Canada who has several adams including a dead printer, with a good platen, trying to find out how much he would want for the platen and the cost to ship here to Philly.

              As for the Buck Rogers, I definitely could use it. Right now, I don't have any software at all for my Adam, it does have 2 tape drives in it.

              What is the problem you are having with your drive though, because there is this one list-serv I belong to that goes out to just Adam fans, I know I have seen messages on various methods of repairing the tape drives depending on the issue. You may want to try using a regular head cleaner (Just have to drill 2 small holes so it will mount in the Adam drive.

              A number of the people on that list-serv are from Canada , and have been developing new games for the ColecoVision/ Adam systems, so they are a wealth of knowledge for tech specs for the Adam.

              We as a group may want to consider for the next VCF East, maybe try inviting some of those members, maybe have a couple of Adam's on display/in use/etc. Well, who knows.. I know that a lot of them also have been having an Adam Convention for the past 21 years.. LOL Most of the times it has apparently been in Niagara Falls , although it has been in different cities thoughout the years.

              Akk, I am rambling again..I tend to have a hard time sticking to one topic. But yes, I would love to have that copy of Buck Rogers. I will e-mail you off-group.

              Thanks,

              Joe O.

              --- In midatlanticretro@ yahoogroups. com, Andrew Molloy <awmolloy@.. .> wrote:

              > On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 8:48 PM, joprysko1 <joprysko1@. ..>
              wrote:

              > > I just picked up a Coleco Adam, and was wondering if anyone around
              here happens to have some spare data-packs/programs for the Adam.

              > > The 2 issues I see with it have to do with the printer, one, the
              ribbon is dried out.. the other is that the rubber coating on the platen is all cracked and peeling off. I don't know if there is anything that can be done about that.

              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Joe
              >
              > Joe, I have a spare Buck Rogers data-pack that I can send you. I
              > haven't been able to verify that it works because the tape drive in my
              > Adam is screwy.
              >
              > I'm not sure what to do about the platen or ribbon, but this page says
              > they have ribbons for $14:
              >
              > http://ann.hollowdr eams.com/ adamsupplies. html
              >
              > Andy

            • David Gesswein
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
                > If the platen can be easily removed from the printer Ames Supply Company can
                > resurface the platen. Here is their link
                > http://www.amessupply.com/roller1.cfm.

                Have you used them? Do you have any idea of the cost?
              • Jim Kalin
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009

                  I haven’t used them personally but I’m a member of several typewriter collector groups on Yahoo and many of them have had platens resurfaced on the vintage typewriters.  I sent them an email about have a power roll resurfaced for my IBM Model D typewriter just yesterday.  I can’t remember for certain but I think they charge $45.00 to recover a platen.

                  Jim

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
                    Well, I think I found an alternate solution. I found a place online that deals mainly with collectable cards & the like (Baseball, etc) Apparently he had tried to get into the video-game collecting, but didn't work out. I asked him what he had for the Adam -

                    "I have 2 systems w/ printers that I never tested. I have 3 cassettes Zaxxon, smart logo, flashcard maker
                    1 printer daisy wheel in pkg, probably new, 1 new sealed ribbon, 1 ribbon that is also new but from handling came out of the bag and is partially unwound. I assume it can be rewound. I would sell all this for $45."

                    Hmm.. $45 to resurface my platen, or $45 for 2 more systems... what to do, what to do.. :)

                    I will probably be picking that deal up from him.

                    After I test the systems out, I would probably like to donate one of the Adam's to the Museum if they don't have one. Or I guess even if they do, because parts is parts. :)

                    Joe

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
                      joprysko1 wrote:

                      > Hmm.. $45 to resurface my platen, or $45 for 2 more systems... what to do, what to do.. :)

                      oh I know I know.. take the 2 systems! No wait, yes, no.....um. I need
                      to use one of my life lines.

                      I never had an Adam, I do have a few of the Aquarius' though, kind of
                      similar.

                      bd
                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009

                        Everything on the terminals and sound is controlled by an Intel 8080 Microprocessor at 2MHz. The sound chip is a MOS SID (From a Commodore 64).

                        The assembler source code and an MP3 is at http://kaput.retroarchive.org/downloads

                        More details for the computer system itself can be found at http://kaput.retroarchive.org/

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLS35kyYlOU

                      • joprysko1
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 5, 2009
                          I'll get the Adams, and I will trade you an Adam for an Aquarius. How's that sound?