Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: IBM Computer Identification and first computing job

  • Joe Giliberti
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
      chrism3667 wrote:

      > And unfortunately old-computers.com is down. Great site. I own 2 Xerox
      > units, but neither is likely what you saw back then.

      No its not. The computer of the day is actually some kind of Xerox machine
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
        that darned thing would be a find. I'd guess that's
        just what Bill saw the publishing program running on.
        One of the units I have is the successor to the
        820-II, though it uses an 8088. In both cases, the
        mainboard/motherboard is built into the monitor. The
        "cpu" just holds the drives and whatnot. One of the
        snazziest looking puters ;) I've ever seen. The
        picture on the site doesn't do it justice.

        > chrism3667 wrote:
        >
        > > And unfortunately old-computers.com is down. Great
        > site. I own 2 Xerox
        > > units, but neither is likely what you saw back
        > then.
        > >

        > No its not. The computer of the day is actually some
        > kind of Xerox machine

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Sridhar Ayengar
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
          billdeg@... wrote:
          > That was it, Venture Publisher. Probably the same system. Page Maker was a
          > rip off of Venture Publisher. It had been so long I forgot. If you ever come
          > across a spare xerox that runs Venture publisher I would like to see it or
          > trade something for it.

          It's Ventur*A* Publisher. It was just distributed by Xerox. It was
          written by Ventura Software. Eventually Ventura was bought out by
          Corel. It's Corel's competitor to Adobe (formerly Aldus) Pagemaker.

          Neither was a "rip-off" of the other. Ventura ran under GEM, and
          Pagemaker ran under Windows 2.0. They came out at roughly the same time.

          I don't believe it ever ran on Xerox machines. It ran on GEM under DOS.

          I believe the Xerox machine you're talking about was the Xerox STAR
          workstation. It ran a desktop publishing software package called Viewpoint.

          Peace... Sridhar
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 5, 2005
            billdeg@... wrote:
            > Joe,
            > I worked as an intern at IBM when they launched the PS/2 and AS-400. The
            > model 30, 50, and 80 were the first PS/2's (at least in Wilmington,
            > Delaware). The model 50 shipped with an optional "Windows 286", and the
            > model 80 with an optional "Windows 386". The default OS was IBM DOS
            > 3.3. Windows 286 and 386 were not seriously used. Soon after came the
            > model 25 (with Windows 1.04 Collegiate Kit) and the model 70, etc..

            Actually the original machines (the ones to come out on April 2, 1987)
            were the 30, 50, 60 and 80. The 25 came out that August, so it could be
            considered part of the first "phase". I was waiting outside the store
            on the morning of April 2, 1987 so I could buy my Model 50, which I
            still have. I grew up in an IBM "company town".

            The second "phase" more properly refers to the machines that came out on
            June 2, 1988, the 50Z, the 70-386 and the 70-486. The third "phase"
            included the 30-286, the 25-286, the 55SX and the P70 Portable.

            Peace... Sridhar

            > The model 60 was part of the 2nd phase of the PS/2 line.
            > Personally I count the model 25, 30, 50, and 80 "original versions" on
            > the last cusp of "vintage computers" because they shipped with "vintage
            > Windows OS's" (before Win 3.0) I also used the first version of OS/2 on
            > the model 80. I remember opening the model 80 box with a bunch of
            > people standing around and thinking that I had never seen anything like
            > a model 80 before. My first assignment was to compare a XEROX system
            > running Page Maker with a model 80 running Windows 386 and Page Maker.
            > I had also never seen at the time a XEROX system....It was a good job
            > for a college kid.
          • chrism3667
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 7, 2005
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
              <ploopster@g...> wrote:
              > Ventura ran under GEM...

              So you had to have Gem installed to utilize it? I was under the
              impression the version I have simply ran under DOS, but that's all it
              is, an impression.
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 7, 2005
                chrism3667 wrote:
                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Sridhar Ayengar
                > <ploopster@g...> wrote:
                >
                >> Ventura ran under GEM...
                >

                > So you had to have Gem installed to utilize it? I was under the
                > impression the version I have simply ran under DOS, but that's all it
                > is, an impression.

                If you didn't have a copy of GEM installed, it would install an embedded
                version for its own purposes.

                Peace... Sridhar
              • chrism3667
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 7, 2005
                  <ploopster@g...> wrote:

                  > If you didn't have a copy of GEM installed, it would install an
                  embedded
                  > version for its own purposes.

                  Ah, ok. Grassyass.
                • Sridhar Ayengar
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 7, 2005
                    chrism3667 wrote:
                    >>If you didn't have a copy of GEM installed, it would install an embedded
                    >>version for its own purposes.
                    >
                    > Ah, ok. Grassyass.

                    For that matter, Aldus Pagemaker would install an embedded version of
                    Windows 2.0.

                    Peace... Sridhar