Re: Museum storage ideas?

  • Justin Jernigan
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
      I use the stackable 12 gallon commerical totes from Costco @ about $5 each. They also can be locked with a long hasp padlock, or even slipping a zip tie through them will deter passersby from opening them up. You could also place 9 of them on a pallet for 'mass transit', or stack 3 or 4 on a quality hand truck. They are pretty durable, I have about 2 dozen of them, and have only had 1 lid break in the past several years. Oh yeah, they are transparent, so you can see what the heck is in there!

      As far as the original subject of palletizing and moving - best to limit your transport to one pallet at a time using a pallet jack or by applying casters to a pallet (2 fixed, 2 swivel), you will save a lot of headaches that way. One suggestion would be to try and see if you can find a 'pallet box', which is just a cardboard box, sans top, that has the same footprint as a pallet. They are durable and will hold a fair amount of weight against the sidewalls. Sometimes you can find one with a lid, it may take some hunting. Tile/Flooring stores usually have some on hand that they will give you, I will check my local tile place to see if I can get one. I *may* have casters to donate to the cause, I am pretty sure I have at least two fixed type I scavenged from an arcade game a few years back.