Re: [midatlanticretro] Here's the TV clip

  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
      I just caught the segment on the channel 118. I may record it later this
      evening on the Mac.

      FWIW, my visit just those few short weeks ago brought back fond memories
      of my many treks to the Evans Area to service some MicroVAXes in one of
      the buildings. In fact, when I left the VCF, I'd walked out through the
      guard house. Wow, did that evoke memories for me.

      If you walk straight ahead when you go through the guard house, there is
      a building with a couple of steps up and double doors. Inside there and
      to the left first or second door was where a large MicroVAX installation
      used to be. Back in those days, ethernet ran over what we affectionately
      called etherhose. A large yellow coaxial cable. I doubt that that was
      actually removed from the ceiling in that building because it fed out to
      other rooms to service terminal servers for the Army personnel that used
      the MicroVAX systems. If you can gain access to that building, you can
      get yourselves some ethernet (circa 1982 V2.0 Blue book spec.) etherhose
      and ethernet transceivers. Just pull it down out of the ceiling. You
      want vintage, that is it... the first generation ethernet. It's come a
      long way from 10b5.