Re: [midatlanticretro] Here's the TV clip

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
      I made some mistake. Lost the audio at 3:38 into the video. Will try
      to fix that tomorrow. Need sleep!!

      > http://snarc.net/march_cablevision.rm
      >
      > As usual, I regret that I didn't talk slower, look more presentable, and
      > plan my words more carefully.
      >
      > Joe captured this is a 170 MB .avi file and shrunk it to a 42 MB .mpeg
      > file. Then he sent it to me, and I shrunk it to a 4 MB .rm file.
      >
      > Bill Deg.: Hopefully they won't stick your ISP with a DMCA violation. :)

    • Mr Ian Primus
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
        --- On Thu, 10/1/09, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        > Joe captured this is a 170 MB .avi file and shrunk it to a
        > 42 MB .mpeg
        > file. Then he sent it to me, and I shrunk it to a 4
        > MB .rm file.

        Heh. 1998 called - they want their video encoding format back.

        Can you post the avi or the mpeg so that those of us without weird, proprietary, obsolete closed-source video players can look at it?

        <grin>

        -Ian
      • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
          Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

          >--- On Thu, 10/1/09, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Joe captured this is a 170 MB .avi file and shrunk it to a
          >> 42 MB .mpeg
          >> file. Then he sent it to me, and I shrunk it to a 4
          >> MB .rm file.
          >>

          >Heh. 1998 called - they want their video encoding format back.
          >
          >Can you post the avi or the mpeg so that those of us without weird, proprietary, obsolete closed-source video players can look at it?
          >
          ><grin>

          I didn't get the message you quoted. Where is the video?

        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
            Ok.. I cannot see this clip.. I see the beginning and then it becomes a garbled mess.

            I can hear audio though.

          • Bill Degnan
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
              I believe Evan will upload to youtube, we don't host video as well on the
              web hosting account you have for snarc.net
              bd

              > I made some mistake. Lost the audio at 3:38 into the video. Will try
              > to fix that tomorrow. Need sleep!!
              >

              > > http://snarc.net/march_cablevision.rm
              > >
              > > As usual, I regret that I didn't talk slower, look more presentable,
              and
              > > plan my words more carefully.
              > >
              > > Joe captured this is a 170 MB .avi file and shrunk it to a 42 MB .mpeg
              > > file. Then he sent it to me, and I shrunk it to a 4 MB .rm file.
              > >
              > > Bill Deg.: Hopefully they won't stick your ISP with a DMCA violation.
              :)

            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
                my ubuntu live cd does not have a codec for realplayer. make it stop!

              • evan@snarc.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
                  Ugh. Didn't realize this would cause a ruckus.

                  I'll re-do this tonight. Very busy all day.
                • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
                    >I believe Evan will upload to youtube, we don't host video as well on the
                    >web hosting account you have for snarc.net

                    Wow! That was retro. Took me back to the late 60s with that flashy
                    mosaic of LSD color. Timothy Leary isn't dead.

                    Got any .MPG? Why would anyone use Retard Media?

                  • Christian Liendo
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
                      Take your time, no rush...

                      Also I think Evan cannot upload this to you tube without permission.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
                        I just caught the segment on the channel 118. I may record it later this
                        evening on the Mac.

                        FWIW, my visit just those few short weeks ago brought back fond memories
                        of my many treks to the Evans Area to service some MicroVAXes in one of
                        the buildings. In fact, when I left the VCF, I'd walked out through the
                        guard house. Wow, did that evoke memories for me.

                        If you walk straight ahead when you go through the guard house, there is
                        a building with a couple of steps up and double doors. Inside there and
                        to the left first or second door was where a large MicroVAX installation
                        used to be. Back in those days, ethernet ran over what we affectionately
                        called etherhose. A large yellow coaxial cable. I doubt that that was
                        actually removed from the ceiling in that building because it fed out to
                        other rooms to service terminal servers for the Army personnel that used
                        the MicroVAX systems. If you can gain access to that building, you can
                        get yourselves some ethernet (circa 1982 V2.0 Blue book spec.) etherhose
                        and ethernet transceivers. Just pull it down out of the ceiling. You
                        want vintage, that is it... the first generation ethernet. It's come a
                        long way from 10b5.