Here's the TV clip

    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
      http://snarc.net/march_cablevision.rm

      As usual, I regret that I didn't talk slower, look more presentable, and
      plan my words more carefully.

      Joe captured this is a 170 MB .avi file and shrunk it to a 42 MB .mpeg
      file. Then he sent it to me, and I shrunk it to a 4 MB .rm file.

      Bill Deg.: Hopefully they won't stick your ISP with a DMCA violation. :)
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
        I made some mistake. Lost the audio at 3:38 into the video. Will try
        to fix that tomorrow. Need sleep!!

        > http://snarc.net/march_cablevision.rm
        >
        > As usual, I regret that I didn't talk slower, look more presentable, and
        > plan my words more carefully.
        >
        > Joe captured this is a 170 MB .avi file and shrunk it to a 42 MB .mpeg
        > file. Then he sent it to me, and I shrunk it to a 4 MB .rm file.
        >
        > Bill Deg.: Hopefully they won't stick your ISP with a DMCA violation. :)

      • Mr Ian Primus
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
          --- On Thu, 10/1/09, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

          > Joe captured this is a 170 MB .avi file and shrunk it to a
          > 42 MB .mpeg
          > file. Then he sent it to me, and I shrunk it to a 4
          > MB .rm file.

          Heh. 1998 called - they want their video encoding format back.

          Can you post the avi or the mpeg so that those of us without weird, proprietary, obsolete closed-source video players can look at it?

          <grin>

          -Ian
        • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
            Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

            >--- On Thu, 10/1/09, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Joe captured this is a 170 MB .avi file and shrunk it to a
            >> 42 MB .mpeg
            >> file. Then he sent it to me, and I shrunk it to a 4
            >> MB .rm file.
            >>

            >Heh. 1998 called - they want their video encoding format back.
            >
            >Can you post the avi or the mpeg so that those of us without weird, proprietary, obsolete closed-source video players can look at it?
            >
            ><grin>

            I didn't get the message you quoted. Where is the video?

          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
              Ok.. I cannot see this clip.. I see the beginning and then it becomes a garbled mess.

              I can hear audio though.

            • Bill Degnan
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
                I believe Evan will upload to youtube, we don't host video as well on the
                web hosting account you have for snarc.net
                bd

                > I made some mistake. Lost the audio at 3:38 into the video. Will try
                > to fix that tomorrow. Need sleep!!
                >

                > > http://snarc.net/march_cablevision.rm
                > >
                > > As usual, I regret that I didn't talk slower, look more presentable,
                and
                > > plan my words more carefully.
                > >
                > > Joe captured this is a 170 MB .avi file and shrunk it to a 42 MB .mpeg
                > > file. Then he sent it to me, and I shrunk it to a 4 MB .rm file.
                > >
                > > Bill Deg.: Hopefully they won't stick your ISP with a DMCA violation.
                :)

              • Joe Giliberti
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
                  my ubuntu live cd does not have a codec for realplayer. make it stop!

                • evan@snarc.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
                    Ugh. Didn't realize this would cause a ruckus.

                    I'll re-do this tonight. Very busy all day.
                  • Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
                      >I believe Evan will upload to youtube, we don't host video as well on the
                      >web hosting account you have for snarc.net

                      Wow! That was retro. Took me back to the late 60s with that flashy
                      mosaic of LSD color. Timothy Leary isn't dead.

                      Got any .MPG? Why would anyone use Retard Media?

                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
                        Take your time, no rush...

                        Also I think Evan cannot upload this to you tube without permission.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
                          I just caught the segment on the channel 118. I may record it later this
                          evening on the Mac.

                          FWIW, my visit just those few short weeks ago brought back fond memories
                          of my many treks to the Evans Area to service some MicroVAXes in one of
                          the buildings. In fact, when I left the VCF, I'd walked out through the
                          guard house. Wow, did that evoke memories for me.

                          If you walk straight ahead when you go through the guard house, there is
                          a building with a couple of steps up and double doors. Inside there and
                          to the left first or second door was where a large MicroVAX installation
                          used to be. Back in those days, ethernet ran over what we affectionately
                          called etherhose. A large yellow coaxial cable. I doubt that that was
                          actually removed from the ceiling in that building because it fed out to
                          other rooms to service terminal servers for the Army personnel that used
                          the MicroVAX systems. If you can gain access to that building, you can
                          get yourselves some ethernet (circa 1982 V2.0 Blue book spec.) etherhose
                          and ethernet transceivers. Just pull it down out of the ceiling. You
                          want vintage, that is it... the first generation ethernet. It's come a
                          long way from 10b5.