Re: [midatlanticretro] Museum storage ideas?

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
      The best bang for the buck solution is stackable plastic crates IMHO. Also
      useful are things on wheels that don't require a forklift to be moved
      around.
      Bill

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
        Allow me to rephrase my last email.

        Stackable plastic bins - These are relatively cheap and they keep out the
        dust without having to wrap every single little thing in a bag. 4 bins can
        be stacked on a pallet for transport. You can store un-used bins in a
        small footprint. We could fit the entire loose basement storage of smaller
        items in 15 bins.

        The larger systems and terminals should be covered at all times with a
        fitted sheet or something that protects from dust, but allows air to
        circulate from underneith, and for moisture to escape.

        Bill
      • Joe Giliberti

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
            We can get a few things like this:
            http://tinyurl.com/ya5bgps

            Or like this:
            http://tinyurl.com/yaeqbzg

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
              > Why move to the H Building?
              > - less humid
              >
              > Why not move to the H Building?
              > - More secure

              The H-buildings are not * as * secure as our underground bunker :) but
              that doesn't mean they are not secure. Also, we could put some kind of
              gate around our area, since it wouldn't be totally private like we have now.

              What I like about the H-building idea is:
              - huge amount of space available
              - everything we have in one spot
              - no more moving things up/down stairs
              - access to forklift / pallet jack
              - no more banging my head on ceiling pipes!!!
            • Joe Giliberti
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                those sterilite cases are too small for anything besides chips, and are pretty expensive.

                On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                > Why move to the H Building?
                > - less humid
                >
                > Why not move to the H Building?
                > - More secure

                The H-buildings are not * as * secure as our underground bunker :) but
                that doesn't mean they are not secure. Also, we could put some kind of
                gate around our area, since it wouldn't be totally private like we have now.

                What I like about the H-building idea is:
                - huge amount of space available
                - everything we have in one spot
                - no more moving things up/down stairs
                - access to forklift / pallet jack
                - no more banging my head on ceiling pipes!!!

              • Andy Meyer
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                  On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 4:00 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                  > The H-buildings are not * as * secure as our underground bunker  :)

                  Let's not move things unless absolutely necessary.
                  Sure it would be nice to have everything in one place.
                  But every time stuff gets moved, things get separated and we risk
                  items getting damaged.

                  I know I say this every time, but the endless shuffle seems, well, endless.
                  Let's concentrate on getting *our* space, making it secure and THEN
                  move stuff into it.
                  Seems like a no-brainer.

                  Andy
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                    Nah, I've seen larger ones.  And we have a lot of small things to put in them.  Cables, accessories, parts, etc.

                    Right now it's all just ideas though.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                      >>> I know I say this every time, but the endless shuffle seems, well,
                      endless.

                      Actually, 50% of all past shuffling was just because I felt we all
                      needed the exercise. :)
                    • Joe Giliberti
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 29, 2009
                        Grrrrrr....

                        Andy has a point. Has anyone seen the KIM recently?....

                        On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                        >>> I know I say this every time, but the endless shuffle seems, well,
                        endless.

                        Actually, 50% of all past shuffling was just because I felt we all
                        needed the exercise. :)

                      • joprysko1
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 30, 2009
                          While not a lot of the anti-static bags, I think I have a pack of 10 small ones I purchased new when CompUSA was going out of business. Plus I may be able to hunt around my office at work and see if I can find some more.

                          Joe O.

                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Joe Giliberti <Starbase89@...> wrote:

                          > those sterilite cases are too small for anything besides chips, and are
                          > pretty expensive.
                          >
                          > On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                          >

                          > > > Why move to the H Building?
                          > > > - less humid
                          > > >
                          > > > Why not move to the H Building?
                          > > > - More secure
                          > >
                          > > The H-buildings are not * as * secure as our underground bunker :) but
                          > > that doesn't mean they are not secure. Also, we could put some kind of
                          > > gate around our area, since it wouldn't be totally private like we have
                          > > now.
                          > >
                          > > What I like about the H-building idea is:
                          > > - huge amount of space available
                          > > - everything we have in one spot
                          > > - no more moving things up/down stairs
                          > > - access to forklift / pallet jack
                          > > - no more banging my head on ceiling pipes!!!

                        • Justin Jernigan
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 1, 2009
                            I use the stackable 12 gallon commerical totes from Costco @ about $5 each. They also can be locked with a long hasp padlock, or even slipping a zip tie through them will deter passersby from opening them up. You could also place 9 of them on a pallet for 'mass transit', or stack 3 or 4 on a quality hand truck. They are pretty durable, I have about 2 dozen of them, and have only had 1 lid break in the past several years. Oh yeah, they are transparent, so you can see what the heck is in there!

                            As far as the original subject of palletizing and moving - best to limit your transport to one pallet at a time using a pallet jack or by applying casters to a pallet (2 fixed, 2 swivel), you will save a lot of headaches that way. One suggestion would be to try and see if you can find a 'pallet box', which is just a cardboard box, sans top, that has the same footprint as a pallet. They are durable and will hold a fair amount of weight against the sidewalls. Sometimes you can find one with a lid, it may take some hunting. Tile/Flooring stores usually have some on hand that they will give you, I will check my local tile place to see if I can get one. I *may* have casters to donate to the cause, I am pretty sure I have at least two fixed type I scavenged from an arcade game a few years back.